U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 06:48 PM

264 posts, read 1,104,334 times

Advertisements

Hello, Texans!
After growing up in the Dallas area and living in Nacogdoches, Lubbock, Austin, and Houston, my family has settled back in Dallas for the long term. We are in Dallas proper and love it, but would would LOVE a place to get away from the city. Preferably, a place on a lake not more than 2.5 - 3 hours from Dallas, under $300k. Soooo, what are some of the best lakes no more than 3 hours from Dallas where we can get a decent condo/townhome/SF home for that price (less is best! - a fixer-upper would be fine). My mother in law has a house on Lake Travis, so that isn't high on our list of choices since we already have access to a place there. We want a place all "our own" on/near a nice, clean, family friendly lake where you can water ski, sail, pontoon, whatever. We'd prefer a rock bottom lake, but I'm not sure if there are any lakes other than Lake Travis that have rock bottoms??
I LOVE East Texas, but I don't know much about the lakes around there (other than Lake Nac, which is pretty small). Are there any places in East Texas that fit my description??

Let's hear whose lake is the best!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 PM

3,702 posts, read 16,970,127 times
If you want a rock bottom lake, you are going to have to go south and west of Dallas. Don't know enough about those areas to recommend one. All lakes to the east are forested, soil bottom lakes. Lakes to the east are also less developed than Lake Travis and are pretty rustic/rural so a condo or townhouse type situation is out.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:40 PM

264 posts, read 1,104,334 times
Thanks for the info, Pol. So do you kno what lakes in TX are rock bottom?
I'm happy with rural/rustic, and a simple cabin would be just fine with us. We are looking for a place to go as a family and enjoy some outdoor time/low tech relaxation. Where would you suggest??

Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 PM

26 posts, read 148,906 times
Take a look at Possum Kingdom Lake and Lake Whitney. PK is large, deep, clear, beautiful, and darned near all rock. Whitney isn't as large, but also quite deep, clear, and I would guess mostly rock-bottomed. Both are lakes on the Brazos River.

PK is due West of Fort Worth, and Whitney is South of Dallas outside of Hillsboro. Depending on what area of the lake you want, PK would be at least 2.5 hours, but well worth the trip. I posted a few pics in another thread about Mineral Wells and Winnsboro, if you want to track them down.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:16 AM

450 posts, read 1,896,851 times
Default Water quality, depth, bottoms in East Texas Lakes

Poltracker, who knows more than I do about Texas Lakes, is right in his assessment of Piney Woods lakes. They tend to be shallower, muddier, and stumpier than those further West in Texas. That makes them prime fishing lakes. Those that do have stumps--or portions stump-free--are more recreatonal. There are no major canyons or hills so the lakebeds are rivers backed up in relatively shallow valleys. The soil-types in the Piney woods are clay-gumbo-with some sand mixed in. I did find some very white sandy beaches on South Toledo Bend. The sand was a layer underneath strata or red clay. So, don't look for deep, clear water. The bedrock is usually well underneath the layers of soil. You do have a sort of sandstone bedrock around Big Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend that is exposed in places.

You are looking for areas with deeper canyons or valleys, lighter soil or bedrock like limestone, et. al. You have to go west for these. And you will also pay more. I hear lots about Possum Kingdom. I love that name!
But I can't afford the fancy prices charged on these clearer lakes further West. Besides, I really like greenery and trees. The Hill Country is not only too expensive but looks like California--and I am definitely a Midwestern sort of guy or even a Southerner who likes trees.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:24 PM

9 posts, read 42,148 times
Hey Turnbun:

Unless money is no object, I have one piece of advice for you. Regardless of where you decide to locate, be sure and check the property-taxe situation. This has been a real hot-button issue in this area, especially on Lake Bob Sandlin, where lakefront property owners have been burdened with what many consider excessive and unfair taxation. The lake is now full but for the past 2-3 years, the lake has been so low that most lakefront property owners have been unable to get their boats in the water. In addition, the Water Authority stopped property owners on the lake from doing any kind of "maintenance" such as cutting stumps and even going so far as forbidding people to mow grass or remove lily pads around their property. Despite this, property owners around the lake have seen their taxes increase. I live near the lake, not on it so I haven't had the problems described above, but I do have friends who live "on" the lake and most of them are pretty bitter at the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or