Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 12:14 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times

Advertisements

I actually find the fact that Dallas has several prominent and thriving suburbs interesting and beneficial to the area. You can find many amenities throughout the entire Metroplex. You obviously can't fit everything in Dallas so why not offer them in another area rather than not having the benefit at all? For Dallas/Ft Worth to have so many large and smaller cities combined, it's nice to see how well they all work together and form a cohesive region rather than a jumbled mess of a region like you find in Atlanta and other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 02:29 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I actually find the fact that Dallas has several prominent and thriving suburbs interesting and beneficial to the area. You can find many amenities throughout the entire Metroplex. You obviously can't fit everything in Dallas so why not offer them in another area rather than not having the benefit at all? For Dallas/Ft Worth to have so many large and smaller cities combined, it's nice to see how well they all work together and form a cohesive region rather than a jumbled mess of a region like you find in Atlanta and other cities.
??????????

Old 10-22-2011, 04:06 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Ummm... do you know much about the Atlanta area? That metro area does not function well as a region at all!

Old 10-22-2011, 05:32 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Some people like multipolar metros like DFW, but the rest of us prefer more concentrated cities.

I like how most of everything revolves around Houston, and the suburbs are more or less where you reside and where your kids go to school.

Houston feels more like a metropolis, and DFW just feels like a region.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:00 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Ummm... do you know much about the Atlanta area? That metro area does not function well as a region at all!
Yes, I use to live there for 4-5 years. I see what you mean, but then again, I don't.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:46 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Some people like multipolar metros like DFW, but the rest of us prefer more concentrated cities.

I like how most of everything revolves around Houston, and the suburbs are more or less where you reside and where your kids go to school.

Houston feels more like a metropolis, and DFW just feels like a region.
I agree. I mean it is nice to have big burbs. It is nice that the burbs have things. But in addition to the burbs having things the central city should have them too.

Yes NY has teams outside the main city, but NY has much better transportation options and higher concentrations of people from the central city all the way out.

SF is in the same boat.

Dallas is often compared to other cities with amenities all over the metro such as NY, SF, Boston etc. The big difference they don't get is that in addition to the amenities being outside the main city in these cities, they are also in the central city And these cities are much better connected by public transportation.

so they can say it is good that the burbs add to the amenities list, but that would be worthwhile if they were actually adding to the metro as a whole as opposed to taking away from the central city.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:26 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
On the contrary, Houston is more dynamic All the good stuff in one central area while in DFW you have to cross too many lows to get to the highs. a ten mile radius around DT Houston packs more punch than anywhere else in Texas

I generally agree with the bolded statement. Houston with TMC, downtown, greenway and Uptown indeed does have the same "punch" or feel. It feels like a Dallas/Ft.Worth wrapped up in to one. However, i think downtown San Antonio packs more punch than any other downtown in Texas, including Austin.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I generally agree with the bolded statement. Houston with TMC, downtown, greenway and Uptown indeed does have the same "punch" or feel. It feels like a Dallas/Ft.Worth wrapped up in to one. However, i think downtown San Antonio packs more punch than any other downtown in Texas, including Austin.
How so?? Have you by chance ever lived in SA??

SA's downtown has by far the worst Public transportation.
DT SA has the crappiest shopping options of the 4
DT SA has the smallest population of the 4
DT SA has the smallest Workforce out of the 4

SA has the River Walk and other Tourist attractions. All a smokescreen for how crappy it is living there. I hated going DT

I honestly never saw what all you guys have been raving about Dt SA.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:12 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,459,776 times
I live in Plano, and giving my 2 cents to the discussion. As an overly broad generalization, I would say Plano is more like Sugar Land instead of the Woodlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas