Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:07 AM

110 posts, read 254,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post
... Texas didn't compare to California in terms of outdoor activities IN MY OPINION...
I'd go so far as to say this is a factual statement. And I'm a native Texan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 11:14 AM

275 posts, read 416,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc_everything View Post
I'd go so far as to say this is a factual statement. And I'm a native Texan.
Of course, they don't compare. They are two DIFFERENT states!

Old 10-24-2011, 11:25 AM

110 posts, read 254,737 times
It's perfectly fine to compare two different states. Isn't that kind of the point of this board?

I do agree with the gist of what you're saying - that it's rude to go somewhere you're not from and complain about it to the people who are from there. What can you do though? People have been rude long before our lifetimes and will continue to be rude long after we're gone.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:54 AM

I do agree with the gist of what you're saying - that it's rude to go somewhere you're not from and complain about it to the people who are from there. What can you do though? People have been rude long before our lifetimes and will continue to be rude long after we're gone.[/quote]

You understand exactly what I'm pointing out and emphasizing about rudeness in moving to a new place and complaining about it to people from there.

I will agree with you to a point about people being rude--I believe some people are rude in their observations but not all. My goal is to tell those who want to move to a state where they're not from--Texas--and then complain about it endlessly, that THEY and their rudeness aren't welcome HERE. That sort of rudeness may be OK wherever they came from, but it won't get them far in Texas. Most Texans are very hospitable and will go out their way to help someone else; extreme rudeness doesn't go over well with most people I know. So, come to Texas and help us change the things that need changing, OR stay wherever YOU'RE FROM. Complain about your own state there.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:00 PM

204 posts, read 336,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativetexasgal View Post
If there is a lot of bashing about California, it's there for a reason. Check out all the other states where large numbers of Californians have moved--the welcome mat wasn't exactly placed out in those states, was it? Wonder why that is . . . Maybe YOU and other Californians should do a little self reflection and ask yourselves why that is the case.
I see, so what you're saying is that people from California aren't welcome in any other state? That they are the problem? Some of them complain, sure, but that's a pretty bold generalization, don't ya think? Using your logic, I'll say that Texans are fat hicks that cling to their god and their guns. What good does that do?

And I won't do any reflecting, because I don't care. I can't speak for other CA residents, or theorize as to what their motives are for moving/speaking/whatever. There's 33 million of them ya know.

And for what it's worth, I lived in Washington D.C. and Northern Virginia for over 4 years before moving here. An opportunity presented itself here and my wife and I took it. Texas is nice, but not for us, so we'll be leaving within a year or two, and no, probably not to California.

I guess Texas would be a much more interesting place if everyone just shut up and minded their own business according to you. This forum is no longer needed, we have nothing to debate/talk about/critique. Better shut it down, we don't want anyone offended.

As for the rest of your post, I think the crying baby summed it up nicely.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I see, so what you're saying is that people from California aren't welcome in any other state? That they are the problem? Some of them complain, sure, but that's a pretty bold generalization, don't ya think? Using your logic, I'll say that Texans are fat hicks that cling to their god and their guns. What good does that do?

And I won't do any reflecting, because I don't care. I can't speak for other CA residents, or theorize as to what their motives are for moving/speaking/whatever. There's 33 million of them ya know.

And for what it's worth, I lived in Washington D.C. and Northern Virginia for over 4 years before moving here. An opportunity presented itself here and my wife and I took it. Texas is nice, but not for us, so we'll be leaving within a year or two, and no, probably not to California.

I guess Texas would be a much more interesting place if everyone just shut up and minded their own business according to you. This forum is no longer needed, we have nothing to debate/talk about/critique. Better shut it down, we don't want anyone offended.

As for the rest of your post, I think the crying baby summed it up nicely.

Californians or people from any other state for that matter can move wherever they wish to in the U.S. However, read and watch different media outlets--there are reasons that SOME Californians aren't welcome with open arms in MANY states. Some Californians aren't welcomed to new places typically because they move to a new place and then wonder WHY IT'S NOT LIKE CALIFORNIA. Sheesh. If you want California, move home then. No one is stopping you.

If Texas is as bad as so many Californians make it out to be, why is Texas' economy doing so much better than California's despite the illegal immigration issues we have just as California has them? I'm not saying that Texas does not have issues to address; it does just as many places do. However, Texas seems to be attracting many more people than having people leave.

BTW, I didn't write "all Californians" or "Californians." I refer to "some Californians." I've met many Californians who've moved to Texas and have adjusted well to living here because they don't gripe about how Texas isn't California. Anything they have issues with in Texas, they work to help improve it rather than complaining. They are great folks.

I, too, have lived in the DC area. I never complained and moaned while there about how "it wasn't Texas." People would have looked at me with a "Duh" look, thinking, honey, Texas is "that way" (west). The best friends I made there were from Virginia (natives, grew up there) and New York because I expressed a delight and interest in what I could experience while I lived on the East Coast. I wanted to know what made Virginia Virginia and what made New York New York. I didn't expect either state to change itself for ME.

Last edited by nativetexasgal; 10-24-2011 at 12:25 PM..

Old 10-24-2011, 12:20 PM

425 posts, read 995,427 times
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YX___4YyzzY/TqWsWXE8u8I/AAAAAAAAB1g/TDgw9MX38l0/s1600/popcorn.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-24-2011, 12:26 PM

Where can I find the popcorn eating smily face?

Old 10-24-2011, 12:29 PM

204 posts, read 336,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativetexasgal View Post
Californians or people from any other state for that matter can move wherever they wish to in the U.S. However, read and watch different media outlets--there are reasons that SOME Californians aren't welcome with open arms in MANY states. Some Californians aren't welcomed to new places typically because they move to a new place and then wonder WHY IT'S NOT LIKE CALIFORNIA. Sheesh. If you want California, move home then. No one is stopping you.

If Texas is as bad as so many Californians make it out to be, why is Texas' economy doing so much better than California's despite the illegal immigration issues we have just as California has them? I'm not saying that Texas does not have issues to address; it does just as many places do. However, Texas seems to be attracting many more people than having people leave.

I, too, have lived in the DC area. I never complained and moaned while there about how "it wasn't Texas." People would have looked at me with a "Duh" look, thinking, honey, Texas is "that way" (west). The best friends I made there were from Virginia (natives, grew up there) and New York because I expressed a delight and interest in what I could experience while I lived on the East Coast. I wanted to know what made Virginia Virginia and what made New York New York. I didn't expect either state to change itself for ME.
Wow, you just don't get it. People here exchange ideas and information which leads to discussion and debate. You're free not to read anything which might upset you. You have to make that decision on your own though, like a big girl. Nobody is going to hold your hand.

And just to reply to your stupid comment about Californians complaining about Texas. When I was in the Marines (happened to be stationed in SoCal), every single Marine from Texas complained about it California... and went on about how Texas was so much better. GUESS WHAT? EVERYONE from EVERYWHERE complains. No state is immune.

And for the record, I don't expect Texas to be like California or anywhere else. That's not going to stop me from saying what I like and don't like about Texas compared to other states, though. So stop it with that nonsense. You're getting ridiculous.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Wow, you just don't get it. People here exchange ideas and information which leads to discussion and debate. You're free not to read anything which might upset you. You have to make that decision on your own though, like a big girl. Nobody is going to hold your hand.

And just to reply to your stupid comment about Californians complaining about Texas. When I was in the Marines (happened to be stationed in SoCal), every single Marine from Texas complained about it California... and went on about how Texas was so much better. GUESS WHAT? EVERYONE from EVERYWHERE complains. No state is immune.

And for the record, I don't expect Texas to be like California or anywhere else. That's not going to stop me from saying what I like and don't like about Texas compared to other states, though. So stop it with that nonsense. You're getting ridiculous.
My point is there is a way to hold discussions and compare without belittling a place, its people, culture, traditions, religious practices, etc.

Here's an example--for the most part, not too many Texans who are lifelong churchgoers want to listen to out of staters gripe about how "people in Texas are more openly religious." Well, duh. Not exactly news is it? Likewise, I wouldn't move to California and make stupid remarks such as, "I thought everyone here has blonde hair and lives on the beach." Just enjoy a place for what it is, not that it's not like "back home." Otherwise, the solution is very simple--go back home.

You seem quite miserable in Texas. My question to you is why are you still here? There are 49 other states to choose from AND U.S. territories. Pick one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas