Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:31 AM

40 posts, read 221,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
no, sorry. the problem never lied with me. i had an open mind when i came here. as soon as someone met me, saw what i looked like and heard my texas twang, they would automatically say "you're not from around here, are you?" and when i couldn't speak spanish, they automatically didnt "trust" me. they would FIND reasons to complain, no matter how hard i tried to please, and would threaten to sue (very verbal about it). i have never dealt with that in all of my career. i refuse to deal with it another day. by the way, there is a GOOD reason why er docs malpractice insurance triples south of the nueces river, and the stats show that 75 percent of er docs in the valley have been sued. that's what you get for working in a very indigent area.........people trying to make money off of you.
I have to disagree. I'm also a Registered Nurse and I traveled down to the RGV (I have to say belle you're not currently located) and never had this problem. On the contrary, everyone was very appreciative and grateful for any and/or all the care they received. I don't speak Spanish very well either; I'm blonde hair and blue eyed and was received with open arms throughout my entire stay.

I was raised in Weslaco but moved out for my own personal reasons. I lived in another state for a while, got my RN license, and accepted an assignment in Weslaco. I have to admit that it is different down in the Valley and it's slower paced, but to say that the people aren't accepting is false. I don't go down there often because I don't have a lot of family down there, but the times that I have has been a pleasant experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 08:42 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,102 times
i am somewhere in South Texas but about a a 2 hour drive from Mexico......
but it doesnt make a difference. South Texas and Rio Grande Valley are all the same, right? or is it very different in the RGV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV View Post
I thought you went to Kingsville. McAllen's about two hours south of there and a much different city.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:50 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,102 times
there ya go...you were raised in Weslaco. that explains it.
but hey, i am 42 years old and have worked in dozens of places in my long career and worked in several states (TX, GA, MS, TN, HI) and have NEVER had a problem finding a social "niche" (even though it might have been a small one in places like GA or HI)...i am a gregarious, friendly, sociable, outgoing, talkative, positive person full of spirit and life and have always been well-liked and accepted. i am not a mean hateful ogre or something!

this has been the ONLY place i have lived in ALL OF MY LIFE that i have not bonded with a SINGLE person. after one year, there is not ONE person i could count on to take me to the hospital in case of an emergency, or call on if i had a road emergency, NOT ONE. i have endured one year of this-having to drive myself to the doctor when i was deathly ill with pneumonia and other things like that. i have had enough.

and i know it is not only my perception, about people here-i had a friend from North Texas come down the other day and accompanied me to Walmart. my friend noticed that everyone in Walmart was staring at both of us, as if we didnt belong, as if thinking "who are you and what are you doing in our town?" (and no, we were not dressed like strippers. we were both dressed in cowboy boots, wranglers, western shirts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzababy View Post
I have to disagree. I'm also a Registered Nurse and I traveled down to the RGV (I have to say belle you're not currently located) and never had this problem. On the contrary, everyone was very appreciative and grateful for any and/or all the care they received. I don't speak Spanish very well either; I'm blonde hair and blue eyed and was received with open arms throughout my entire stay.

I was raised in Weslaco but moved out for my own personal reasons. I lived in another state for a while, got my RN license, and accepted an assignment in Weslaco. I have to admit that it is different down in the Valley and it's slower paced, but to say that the people aren't accepting is false. I don't go down there often because I don't have a lot of family down there, but the times that I have has been a pleasant experience.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:01 AM
RGV

570 posts, read 3,220,704 times
Ahh, no. Kingsville and McAllen are not "all the same."

Any McAllen people here? Why does it take someone from Brownsville to defend McAllen, which I hate doing?

Old 10-02-2007, 12:48 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,003,556 times
Different people have different experiences. If some "blonde and blue" ladies have no problem in the RGV, wonderful! Enjoy! But to insist that people who DO encounter serious problems there simply aren't "open-minded" or are "racist" is WRONG!

I moved down there for work with a very open mind and with the expectation of being happy, since I did speak Spanish and had traveled all over Mexico from the time I was 16. But I did have difficulties there, some that were quite serious and did a huge number on my self-esteem. My son was beaten and called racist names, even by coaches.

I promised myself that I wouldn't comment on the RGV threads anymore and just let folks live and learn without my input. That's still my intent. BUT, I take great issue with the "if you don't like the RGV, then you're a racist" nonsense. That's simply not fair and it IS insulting.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:03 PM

40 posts, read 221,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
there ya go...you were raised in Weslaco. that explains it.
but hey, i am 42 years old and have worked in dozens of places in my long career and worked in several states (TX, GA, MS, TN, HI) and have NEVER had a problem finding a social "niche" (even though it might have been a small one in places like GA or HI)...i am a gregarious, friendly, sociable, outgoing, talkative, positive person full of spirit and life and have always been well-liked and accepted. i am not a mean hateful ogre or something!

this has been the ONLY place i have lived in ALL OF MY LIFE that i have not bonded with a SINGLE person. after one year, there is not ONE person i could count on to take me to the hospital in case of an emergency, or call on if i had a road emergency, NOT ONE. i have endured one year of this-having to drive myself to the doctor when i was deathly ill with pneumonia and other things like that. i have had enough.

and i know it is not only my perception, about people here-i had a friend from North Texas come down the other day and accompanied me to Walmart. my friend noticed that everyone in Walmart was staring at both of us, as if we didnt belong, as if thinking "who are you and what are you doing in our town?" (and no, we were not dressed like strippers. we were both dressed in cowboy boots, wranglers, western shirts).

As mentioned by others...Kingsville is not in The Valley. Although it's still the Southern part of Texas, you're talking about a small town, of approx. 25K people, that's 2 hours away. Your experience working in other states, which are all very southern by the way, have absolutely nothing to do with this topic. It's ashame that your perception has come to this. I wish you good luck and hopefully use this experience to enhance your life to the fullest.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,279 times
wow lady if you are smart you will get as far away from the valley as possible.....i am white , i also went to school down there and i will tell you this--YOUR CHILDREN WILL SUFFER---

Old 10-11-2007, 10:37 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,559,699 times
The main thing is your children will not be as competitive if they attend the public schools. You must put your children in IDEA Chrater or South Texas Charter. I've known countless people to graduate from Valley public schools that went on to pre-dental or pre-med programs that could not pass the basic freshmen classes.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:43 AM

2,611 posts, read 3,588,513 times
I think you'll enjoy it here, but not for the weather unless you like heat and humidity. Sharyland ISD would be more "white" in the sense of blue-eyed blonde hair people are concerned, but your kids will do fine in a Mcallen school or Mission school as well.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:54 PM
RGV

570 posts, read 3,220,704 times
Quote:
I've known countless people to graduate from Valley public schools that went on to pre-dental or pre-med programs that could not pass the basic freshmen classes.
Yes, we're all retarded down in the RGV and the schools are worthless. I had someone else write this for me because I didn't learn how to write or type in the public schools in the Valley. I just don't know why Baylor Law School accepted me, and I don't know how I could have acquired my law degree. I mean, after all, I was educated in the public schools in the RGV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas