Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:34 AM

185 posts, read 463,661 times

Advertisements

I live next to McAllen, in Mission. It is very hot here in the summer, but we have the best temps in winter, so you get 6 months of hottest in america practically, and then 6 months of some of the nicest weather in America, so it kind of evens out.
Other things to do for young kids.......skating rinks, ice and normal, bowling alleys, movie theaters......

And yea, most mexican police are corrupt, everyone knows this, or should....its normal, won't be changing anytime soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 06:32 PM

3 posts, read 8,715 times
Unhappy Think twice...

Beware of the propaganda on this thread. You will regret coming down here. You will get stuck here and get mired in an ocean of debt, lies and black holes of social mires. Dont' come!!!!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
Debt??? Only if you choose to do so.

Everyone doesn't have debt!

Old 05-13-2014, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,376 times
I completely agree. It is very hard to live in the Valley if you are not 100% culturally Mexican, even second or third generation Mexican-Americans don't always fit in. Schools and politics are terrible and corruption is rampant. Totally regret moving here. It is a very isolated and under-educated community and terribly sexist. Most people are born and raised here and never leave and their ideas and attitudes reflect such. Cost of living is low but you are in for a big culture shock and it's not worth it...spend the extra money and move elsewhere.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:21 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana man View Post
wow lady if you are smart you will get as far away from the valley as possible.....i am white , i also went to school down there and i will tell you this--YOUR CHILDREN WILL SUFFER---
Surely this can't be... I am constantly told that only white people discriminate based on race and that every other demographic group lives in a utopia of racial and cultural harmony.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:26 PM

346 posts, read 647,176 times
I don't think its fair to paint the entire area with the same brush. McAllen is beginning to mature as a city and has many very clean neighborhoods, nice parks, and a growing diversity of restaurants and shopping. Other towns have some nice areas as well. Now there are portions of the Valley that look like a Third World Country...but some people seem to have this idea that there are no slums, crime, racial tensions, or corruption in many other communities in this country

Old 05-27-2016, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 553 times
The fact that so many people have such a small mind about culture and areas is ridiculous. There are bad areas everywhere and while the RGV is a border town with it's problems it is no where near close to some of the cities I have attended Chicago, Miami, Bronx. Yes the Hispanic culture is huge but being afraid of being the minority or singled out is a fear one shouldn't have. Considering many immigrants move from different countries relocate here from around the world in anglo communites, not speaking any english I would say you have it easier then most "minorities". I'm Originally from the RGV but live in Kansas City and although the lifestyle is different the Valley will always be home and to tell you the truth every year I go down there the rudest people I have encountered are the snowbirds, and tourists (non-locals). Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas