U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What is the best city in Texas to move to?
Houston 8 16.33%
San Antonio 10 20.41%
Dallas 10 20.41%
Austin 10 20.41%
Fort Worth 1 2.04%
El Paso 2 4.08%
Arlington 1 2.04%
Corpus Christi 1 2.04%
Plano 2 4.08%
Other 4 8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 12:57 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,165,871 times

Advertisements

So I'm living in California right now and am thinking of maybe going to Texas. I'm looking for a city that has alot of jobs right now (construction), good public transportation, and alot of outdoor recreation like hiking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 02:49 PM

4,960 posts, read 9,768,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
So I'm living in California right now and am thinking of maybe going to Texas. I'm looking for a city that has alot of jobs right now (construction), good public transportation, and alot of outdoor recreation like hiking.
You can find any of that in any of the larger Texas cities, though to different degrees. Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio are all good choices. I'm from Austin so I'm biased for it.

Steve

Old 10-29-2011, 10:16 PM

12,420 posts, read 13,563,687 times
Dallas has the best public transportation, but you'll still need a car regardless of what anyone else says.

Austin has the best outdoor recreation overall unless you like the beach then it would be Houston.

Construction isn't just great anywhere right now.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:24 AM

172 posts, read 212,967 times
what i find amazing is that San Antonio had more people vote for it than houston or dallas

this blows my mind! mind blown!

Old 10-31-2011, 02:27 AM

412 posts, read 463,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathpenalty03 View Post
what i find amazing is that San Antonio had more people vote for it than houston or dallas

this blows my mind! mind blown!
Lol why's that?

Anyways to the OP, I'm one of those who voted for San Antonio. The construction sector while not as great as it once was, is still strong in San Antonio. Due to people still moving there, and not to mention BRAC. Fort Sam along with Lackland AFB have a lot of new projects, and Military personnel coming into the area. Not to mention other projects going on around town. Not to say the other choices don't have a ton of construction going on, just saying a lot of DOD projects going on in San Antonio compared to Dallas/Houston/Austin etc. " El Paso also has a lot of Military projects going on, but when it comes to El Paso really can't help you out"

Public Transportation: Dallas is in the lead followed by Houston. Both have Light Rail/ Bus service. San Antonio, Austin both have just Bus service for the time being. Like Stated no matter what your pretty much going to need a car whatever City you choose. Of course you can make it work without one if you truly wanted.

Outdoor Recreation: San Antonio has the Hill Country "As does Austin" but you're also a little bit closer to the Beach in San Antonio. San Antonio also has a lot of nice parks. But Honestly Austin takes first if being outdoors is truly a big thing for you.

You really can't go wrong with the big 4. I enjoy them all for different reasons. Have you been to Texas, or any of the mentioned Cities? If not I'd suggest a trip so you can get a better idea of each in person.

Honestly though, When anyone from California ask me where they should move to in Texas if given the chance, I always tell them Austin. It's best we try to keep you guys contained in a certain part of the State ha. If you were IT or something along those lines, Austin for sure. But since you said construction San Antonio rose to the top "In my view at least"

Old 10-31-2011, 08:55 AM

5,216 posts, read 3,325,959 times
For whatever reason (probably hiking) there were a lot of votes for Austin, but fyi, Texas doesn't have great public transportation and Austin is much worse than Dallas/Houston on this.
I don't think you will get all of your wants in one spot.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,165,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Side_TX View Post
You really can't go wrong with the big 4. I enjoy them all for different reasons. Have you been to Texas, or any of the mentioned Cities? If not I'd suggest a trip so you can get a better idea of each in person.

Yes I have been to a few of those Texas cities. I've driven through El Paso and Houston. And I stayed briefly for 3 days in San Antonio back in early 2005. It reminded me alot of San Diego with all the tall buildings. I've never been to Dallas or Austin.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:50 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,722,838 times
Based on your criteria, probably SA, since there are a lot of Californians who have moved in during the last decade, and the city has lucked out with new construction lately. That could change, of course, but there always seems to be new hotels put in, and schools put up. The oil boom S of town hasn't hurt.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 PM

4,058 posts, read 4,019,584 times
The top areas for job creation is the US is right here in Texas which includes the Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown area and the Dallas-Ft Worth-Arlington area. One wild card would be San Antonio due to the oilfield activity in the area. These jobs are mixed but does include construction work. Example: hwy 114 inbetween Dallas and Grapevine is under heavy construction which is probably years away from completion.

Public Transpertation in my opinion Is better in Dallas which includes light rails and buses.

As for outdoors activity, the Texas Hill Country probably wins this one but Dallas does have some things like cycling around White Rock Lake or Katy Trail.

Now on a political note, Texas does tend to be more Conservative than say California. So if you lean more Liberal, you may want to check out Austion. Austin has a more Liberal presence and way of thinking than the rest of the state. It's just a thought.

Anyhow, Welcome to Texas.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:46 AM

2,412 posts, read 3,869,699 times
It's a very subjective question, and it really just depends on what your priorities are. Having recently moved here, Austin is my favorite city in Texas. The bus system is reasonably manageable, and the outdoors activity is better and more readily accessible than almost anywhere else in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas