U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,941 times
Default thinking about moving to texas from minnesota

hi, We are thinking about moving to Texas we currently live in Minnesota. what are the pros and cons of Texas.

Concerns I have are:

The school systems I have two kids on IEPs how is their special education programs. currently in 2nd grade and preschool.

Health care system good or bad?

What is the best city to move to?

Any information would be very helpful, husband really wants to move here I am just looking to move any were out of Minnesota and to a place not so cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 10:54 AM

3,916 posts, read 3,441,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel20091982 View Post
hi, We are thinking about moving to Texas we currently live in Minnesota. what are the pros and cons of Texas.

Concerns I have are:

The school systems I have two kids on IEPs how is their special education programs. currently in 2nd grade and preschool.

Health care system good or bad?

What is the best city to move to?

Any information would be very helpful, husband really wants to move here I am just looking to move any were out of Minnesota and to a place not so cold.
Well I guess we can start off be getting he climate out of the way. Texas as you know doesn't get all that cool compared to Minnisota so get used to telling people, meh, this isn't cold lol Our summers on the other hand are probably a bit warmer...about 90-110. So get used to people telling you, meh, this isn't hot lol

Anyhow, In my opinion the state has a decent Healthcare system but all I've ever know is Texas. As for areas to live, Dallas comes to mind being a parent. Dallas has some of the best Children's health care in he nation as far as I'm concerned! Now the school systems is another story but I'm going to leave that to people with more knowledge then me.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 6,389 times
Default Native Texan

I've visited Minneapolis in April and it was snowing... hell would be freezing over in that happened in Texas. Sale all your heavy winter clothes before making that move.

Texas is huge... Northern TX is hilly and a bit cooler, Southern Texas can be unreasonably hot. Bigger cities include Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin (all in the south.)
I live in Houston.... it's a melting pot of races, religions and cultures. It's been years since I've been to Dallas, but I'm thinking it's a melting pot also, just not as diverse as Houston. Austin would be my ideal place to live, because I love the atmosphere there, but the cost of living is more expensive than the larger cities (but still far less than where your coming from.) There are tons of small towns scattered throughout Texas.

School districts vary, depending on the area you're in. I would prefer my kids go to a suburban school over a city school. Houston and Austin has the best colleges in TX.

I do know our medical district in Houston is one of the best in the nation. We have M.D. Anderson, Texas Shiners Childrens, Texas Childrens Hospital, Baylor School of Medicine. People come from all over the world actually come to these hospitals.

I think it depends mostly on what you're looking for... a small town or big city. Because we're bigger than every state in the US, as well as bigger than other countries in Europe... you have a vast choice of deciding what area to live in to best suit your needs.

Depending on what kind of work your family does should also be taken into consideration as to what city/town best suits your needs.

One thing that does get mentioned when visitors come here is that we drive further than they're used to for work and entertainment.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:08 PM

8,450 posts, read 16,792,240 times
If you search the Texas forum for 'Minnesota', you will get hits from quite a few people that have asked the same or similar questions, some with some pretty in-depth answers. There seems to be someone from MN asking in the Austin forum every month or so.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:14 PM

6,923 posts, read 6,983,725 times
Below

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel20091982 View Post

Concerns I have are:

The school systems I have two kids on IEPs how is their special education programs. currently in 2nd grade and preschool. What type of special education? Some programs are being cut due to budget - like elsewhere in the nation.

Health care system good or bad? The system itself in Houston is great - your access to it would depend on your employer's plan, like anywhere else.

What is the best city to move to? Houston and Dallas are more affordable than Austin. Like mentioned earlier, Houston is more diverse than Dallas. It's also seems more laid back. Smaller towns are much more conservative and (from what I have repeatedly heard) not as welcoming to transplants as the larger places.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:29 PM

44 posts, read 41,056 times
Hey, we're from Mn and also looking at TX. I just can't take the cold long winters here anymore. More horsey stuff for us to enjoy in TX!

Old 11-08-2011, 01:57 PM

676 posts, read 841,225 times
Moved here last July from MN and I will say this past summer was BRUTAL. I find the current drought conditions to be a nagging worry. The heat was really bad, but it was an atypical year. Our first summer here was far more tolerable.

That said, we spend a lot more time outside here than we did up north. Just last weekend we had an evening party on our patio, it was lovely outside. Up until the time change, we had been eating dinner outside nearly every night. We can ride our bikes outside year round which is a huge plus.

We live in a small town in the Hill Country and this area is absolutely beautiful and full of interesting people. The schools here are good. We and our kids have had a really easy time finding friends and fitting right in. We can walk to most everything due to our fabulous in-town location. It really has been a good move for us, but we came here with an open mind and don't dwell on the negatives. It is definitely VERY different from Minnesota, but we were ready for a change!

Old 11-08-2011, 02:01 PM

676 posts, read 841,225 times
I just wanted to refute the small towns are unwelcoming and conservative statement... We are atheist liberals and have had no problem at all making connections with people here. I'll agree that we're outnumbered, but I think we tend to attract people that are like us, somehow or another.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
If you search the Texas forum for 'Minnesota', you will get hits from quite a few people that have asked the same or similar questions, some with some pretty in-depth answers. There seems to be someone from MN asking in the Austin forum every month or so.
Thank you very much I will check that out.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:44 PM

7,023 posts, read 6,341,471 times
It's good to see Minnesotans still coming to Texas. For what's it's worth, my wife's family came to west Texas from Wabasha County, Minnesota in the late teens. This is one native Texan who is very glad they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas