U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-09-2011, 08:46 PM

3,983 posts, read 2,536,491 times
Everywhere in Texas was horrible this past summer, it's not like the weather totally changes between cities a few hours away from each other. And I think Austin had more 100+ degree days than any of the other major cities this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-09-2011, 08:49 PM

18,521 posts, read 13,781,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Everywhere in Texas was horrible this past summer, it's not like the weather totally changes between cities a few hours away from each other. And I think Austin had more 100+ degree days than any of the other major cities this year.
Didn't Austin also have higher feels like temps this year too. Houston, like the rest of Texas was on the drier side so it wasn't as humid as usual. The humidity was closer to Austin's while Austin had higher temps.

Unread 11-09-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I can honestly say that in Austin you will take a major pay cut to work in your profession. Are you are pharmacist? Or when you say I have a great pharma job...do you mean that you work for a pharmaceutical company? I work in the medical industry and took a huge pay cut when I moved from Houston to Austin. 10K pay cut to do the same job as I did here in Houston. I also heard many other medical professionals talking about the lower salaries offered in Austin. I could not wait for the day that I was going to move out of Austin...that was the most enjoyable move I have ever experienced!
I agree OP will probably have more opportunity in Houston and would appreciate the diverse cosmopolitan flair in town, but it sounds like she had been fed fallacies/exaggerations which convinced her not to go visit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Didn't Austin also have higher feels like temps this year too.
It was absolutely horrible. Horrible summer.

Unread 11-09-2011, 08:57 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,113,666 times
Quote:
I thought Houston had tons more culture than Austin. Austin Culture is narrowly focused. Houston is more broad.

I have many many many friends from Austin who come to Houston or Dallas for their Korean fix. I didn't even know Houston had a Guatemalan and Honduras part of town until I asked my friends from Austin from those countries why they come to Houston so much.

Having more of a college town feel does not equal culture. Austin is super for Live music, Houston is tops for Fine art, variety of music, variety of cultures. SO common. Austin has less Culture than San Antonio and El Paso let alone Houston and Dallas- Fort Worth.
I gues the word I was going for was "cultured". Houston for sure has more "cultures" evident than Austin. I disagree that Houston has more variety of music. I like reggae, world music, and metal. I always have to go to Austin to see the bands I am into. I doubt there is a "Honduran part of town", but rather a place where there are more Honduran places. Out on Richmond there are about 10 Colombian restaurants that I go to, but I couldn't call that a Colombian part of town.

sorry. I know I an nit picking, and I really don't mean to.

Unread 11-09-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I agree OP will probably have more opportunity in Houston and would appreciate the diverse cosmopolitan flair in town, but it sounds like she had been fed fallacies/exaggerations which convinced her not to go visit it.

It was absolutely horrible. Horrible summer.
I think a lot of people know Houston for what it was (voted the worst big city in America), and not what it has become. People always have misconceptions about what Houston is.

Unread 11-09-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I think a lot of people know Houston for what it was (voted the worst big city in America), and not what it has become. People always have misconceptions about what Houston is.
?? I don't know what vote that was, I've only seen it popping up on "good" lists lately (often with one or two other Texas cities on as well).

Rather, I think the city just doesn't bother with PR or marketing, and the residents generally aren't braggadocios like those from Austin.

Unread 11-09-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
?? I don't know what vote that was, I've only seen it popping up on "good" lists lately (often with one or two other Texas cities on as well).

Rather, I think the city just doesn't bother with PR or marketing, and the residents generally aren't braggadocios like those from Austin.
Yeah. That is my point. people don't know what Houston has become.

Unread 11-09-2011, 09:33 PM

3,034 posts, read 2,052,731 times
Quote:
I wish it wasn't so hot and humid for so long, but does it really bother you that much? It doesn't bother me that much, but am I the only one?? Most people only spend a few minutes out in the heat esp professionals
Maybe the poster would prefer to not get cabin fever being hostage to the AC most of the year?

For me, I know I have to get out, even in the heat or I'll go stir crazy. They also say you need 20 minutes of sun each day to reset the biological clock.

Unread 11-09-2011, 09:33 PM

18,521 posts, read 13,781,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I doubt there is a "Honduran part of town", but rather a place where there are more Honduran places.
same thing.

Quote:

Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Maybe the poster would prefer to not get cabin fever being hostage to the AC most of the year? .
Like Austin is any different?? Austin had heat indexes higher than Houston for most of the summer. Its not like Austin is soooo comfortable. Still hot and uncomfortable in the summer

Unread 11-09-2011, 11:05 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
6,485 posts, read 3,201,269 times
Quote:
I wish it wasn't so hot and humid for so long, but does it really bother you that much? It doesn't bother me that much, but am I the only one?? Most people only spend a few minutes out in the heat esp professionals
Actually it only bothered me when I dolled up to go out . All in all it never really bothered me. The humidity is very good for your skin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas