Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which transportation system would you choose
More than efficient road system 9 31.03%
More than efficient Public transportation system. 20 68.97%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 08:29 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Well if I was to create a city with only public transportation; it would have to be pretty dense and not to sprawled out. However, I'm a bigger fan of the car because it's more reliable and I like having my own means of transportation. I'm leaning to a more efficient road system. I think I'd lose my mind if I had to depend on PT ALL the time. A close-knit vibrant walkable community can be created without using public transit. Small yards, bike lanes, decent sidewalks with retail/amenities/jobs mixed in the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 09:56 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, actually people never praise both. they either say they love their cars or that certain cities are too car dependent.

I just wanted too see which would people prefer one way or the other.

besides, why would it suck if you could have wonderful PT 24/7 or be able to drive without congestion and find free parking whenever you need it, not spending hrs in traffic... sounds like a dream to me either way.

so far, it seems people would prefer to never drive
Yea. It would suck to depend on PT 100% of the time. I just couldn't survive. I grew up with the car so I'll be more comfortable driving.
A dream to me would be a mix of both.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:37 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,222 times
Totally unrealistic. If the choice were that drastic, the only viable choice is to MOVE!

Old 11-20-2011, 11:40 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Totally unrealistic. If the choice were that drastic, the only viable choice is to MOVE!
its not supposed to be realistic. stop analyzing the question. If you can't chose which one you would absolutely prefer then kick rocks.

It is simple. I just wanna see which which mode of transportation people prefer.

it would be a dumb as hell question to ask if you could would you prefer better public transportation with roads. what idiot would not go for that option. what is interesting is seeing what people would prefer, a road system that works or better PT

Old 11-20-2011, 12:47 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
I think there's some confusion, because I voted with one understanding, and then realized due to the discussion that I absolutely did not understand the terms of the vote. Not that you didn't write them in there (unless you edited, and I don't know if you can edit polls), but that for some reason they did not compute with at least a few of the voters.

I would NOT vote for public transportation with no cars, no matter how wonderful, nor for cars with no public transportation, no matter how wonderful. What I WOULD vote for is spending funds on creating a "more than efficient" one or the other, without getting rid of the alternative.

I suspect that, because of the initial confusion, your poll is not going to be entirely accurate. Is there anyway to "undo" a vote on a poll?

Throwing a tantrum because people who are asked to vote in a poll "analyze the question" (you know, actually THINK about it before voting, something we should all do every time we vote for anything at all, in my opinion) doesn't get you any more accurate a result, either.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:54 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
I voted for a more efficient road system, why?

Because I want to go where I want to go, not where public transportation can take me...

Old 11-20-2011, 01:09 PM

578 posts, read 1,227,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

Because I want to go where I want to go, not where public transportation can take me...
^^^This

Old 11-20-2011, 01:15 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Road system

Texas is too spread out & doesn't require public transit like cities in the Northeast do.

Is it nice to have & brag about? Yes

Is it a necessity in Texas? No

Old 11-20-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I think there's some confusion, because I voted with one understanding, and then realized due to the discussion that I absolutely did not understand the terms of the vote. Not that you didn't write them in there (unless you edited, and I don't know if you can edit polls), but that for some reason they did not compute with at least a few of the voters.

I would NOT vote for public transportation with no cars, no matter how wonderful, nor for cars with no public transportation, no matter how wonderful. What I WOULD vote for is spending funds on creating a "more than efficient" one or the other, without getting rid of the alternative.

I suspect that, because of the initial confusion, your poll is not going to be entirely accurate. Is there anyway to "undo" a vote on a poll?

Throwing a tantrum because people who are asked to vote in a poll "analyze the question" (you know, actually THINK about it before voting, something we should all do every time we vote for anything at all, in my opinion) doesn't get you any more accurate a result, either.
where did I throw a tantrum because someone got it wrong?? Cptn said she didn't see it in the OP, and I quoted the OP for her. if you call that a tantrum you are really really really off at reading.

Reading a post and missing things is one thing, reading a post simply quoting where I said what I said and calling it a tantrum is something else. Maybe a trip to the optometrist is in order???

Last edited by HtownLove; 11-20-2011 at 05:05 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

what if the system goes within a ten minute walk of everywhere tho? would you still rather cars????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: