Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 06:33 AM

20 posts, read 70,728 times

Advertisements

We are close to retirement and are making a decision soon on where we'd like to settle. We currently live in North Texas, and would like to go somewhere smaller, less conservative, green, and visually attractive, which to us means well-kept, with mature trees. We just visited Georgetown and loved the historic part of the city near the university, but it's probably for the most part out of our price range. ($250,000 max). Let me know if you agree/disagree. Visited Sun City, but think the cookie cutter lifestyle is not for us. Then stopped in Salado. Our impressions: affordable homes in very nice areas, Mill Creek, etc. Nice artsy vibe, small and walkable. But then ate at the Stagecoach Inn, overpriced and mediocre food, visited shops, and encountered some friendly people, and some not so. One was downright rude to another customer who was having trouble making up her mind. So.. That left a question. How friendly and welcoming is this beautiful small town, on the whole, to newcomers? Thanks for you feedback, it's much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clanman View Post
We are close to retirement and are making a decision soon on where we'd like to settle. We currently live in North Texas, and would like to go somewhere smaller, less conservative, green, and visually attractive, which to us means well-kept, with mature trees. We just visited Georgetown and loved the historic part of the city near the university, but it's probably for the most part out of our price range. ($250,000 max). Let me know if you agree/disagree. Visited Sun City, but think the cookie cutter lifestyle is not for us. Then stopped in Salado. Our impressions: affordable homes in very nice areas, Mill Creek, etc. Nice artsy vibe, small and walkable. But then ate at the Stagecoach Inn, overpriced and mediocre food, visited shops, and encountered some friendly people, and some not so. One was downright rude to another customer who was having trouble making up her mind. So.. That left a question. How friendly and welcoming is this beautiful small town, on the whole, to newcomers? Thanks for you feedback, it's much appreciated!
Maybe I should have titled this "Salado Tx" instead of Texas, as it didn't come up in a search. Any feedback out there on this topic?

Old 11-30-2011, 05:54 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Clanman, I'm sorry there's been no response about Salado. I thought I might but don't have a lot to offer and hoped someone else would post. There's not a lot of people on the forum who are familiar with Salado but you might do a forum search on the topic... Salado. There have been posts by Texas Horse Lady and NOTAM, but not recently.

My dad was born and raised there and his mother's family name is still there. He left mid-depression 30's. I barely new his mother and know nothing of that family in the area.

I did spend a few months there, a couple of years ago, on a temp job. The place seems kind of quiet during the week with tourists filling the shops and hotels on weekends. There's a cow poke arena on the south side of town which fills the place up every month or so. Welcome to Wildfire Arena

The people are friendly, in a remote country side sort of way. I did let on about my dad and seems to have gotten some interest from the old timers. There was a group of baptists who were their usually friendly lot, almost to the point of ready to lasso me into the church. That's usually my que to run.

You might visit again for a long weekend or several day. Visit Belton and Temple while there, just up the road. If you're looking for a nice but quiet place you might be satisfied. Not sure it's very green but that would be for you to judge.

My understanding is the Stagecoach Inn used to be much better. You might try Johnny's BBQ. I'd judge it for a more mature palette than many other BBQ places.

As far as customer service in the shops... they put up with browsers every day, just strolling around, probably not spending much. I'd probably try to give them a break.

Good luck.

http://www.salado.com/calendar_single.cfm?id=902

http://saladowinefestival.com/wildflower-art-fair/

http://saladowinefestival.com/

http://saladociviccenter.com/

Last edited by Willsson; 11-30-2011 at 06:04 PM..

Old 12-01-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Clanman, I'm sorry there's been no response about Salado. I thought I might but don't have a lot to offer and hoped someone else would post. There's not a lot of people on the forum who are familiar with Salado but you might do a forum search on the topic... Salado. There have been posts by Texas Horse Lady and NOTAM, but not recently.

My dad was born and raised there and his mother's family name is still there. He left mid-depression 30's. I barely new his mother and know nothing of that family in the area.

I did spend a few months there, a couple of years ago, on a temp job. The place seems kind of quiet during the week with tourists filling the shops and hotels on weekends. There's a cow poke arena on the south side of town which fills the place up every month or so. Welcome to Wildfire Arena

The people are friendly, in a remote country side sort of way. I did let on about my dad and seems to have gotten some interest from the old timers. There was a group of baptists who were their usually friendly lot, almost to the point of ready to lasso me into the church. That's usually my que to run.

You might visit again for a long weekend or several day. Visit Belton and Temple while there, just up the road. If you're looking for a nice but quiet place you might be satisfied. Not sure it's very green but that would be for you to judge.

My understanding is the Stagecoach Inn used to be much better. You might try Johnny's BBQ. I'd judge it for a more mature palette than many other BBQ places.

As far as customer service in the shops... they put up with browsers every day, just strolling around, probably not spending much. I'd probably try to give them a break.

Good luck.

| Salado Events | Salado Texas

Wildflower Art Fair | Texas Wine & Rogue Art Fest

Texas Wine and Rogue Art Festival

The Civic Center
Tofurkey, thank you for you kind reply! It sounds like they may be great folks, friendly but not TOO friendly. Except for the Baptists, and they are just doing their job. I noticed there is a big Methdist church there, they are usually a bit more laissez-faire. I would agree about the store clerk, but the customer was an older lady and his manner very disrespectful. But as an older lady myself I may have taken it too personally! We haven't looked at Belton or Temple yet. I do love antiques, art, and festivals, so that should work for me.

I have been looking at lots of other threads and have seen some comments about Salado, but usually just focusing on how pretty it is. Which it is! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply, and enjoyed your comments very much. Have a great evening!

Chris

Old 12-01-2011, 07:28 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Post this in the Austin forum and you may get more replies. I don't live too far from Salado and I think it's a neat little town.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Post this in the Austin forum and you may get more replies. I don't live too far from Salado and I think it's a neat little town.
Thanks, Roses, I'll try posting in an Austin forum. I know Hutto is near Salado, but haven't been there yet. I appreciate your reply!

Old 12-02-2011, 07:00 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I live 5 minutes from Salado, do some of my shopping there. Neat little town, and I've never had anyone be at all unfriendly or rude to me; quite the contrary. (I'm an "older lady" myself, by the way.) Perhaps the gentleman in question was having a bad day? I wouldn't judge on one person on one day, for that very reason - we all have our off days.

I'm a Methodist preacher's kid, myself, read the Methodist Discipline (all 600 pages!) back when I was growing up, and came to the conclusion that, in brief, it said, "Don't do anything to hurt anyone else, and don't drink unless you really want to". So "laissez-faire" would seem to fit.

"Clanman" makes me wonder; are you of the Scots persuasion? If so, you'll fit right in; they have an annual Gathering of the Clans (http://www.ctam-salado.org/Gathering/Gathering.htm - broken link) that's been going on since 1961, apparently. Lots of activities for a small town, due to the tourist element, and not too much of a drive to either Temple or Austin for brighter lights if you're in the mood.

As far as Georgetown is concerned, what are you looking for for your $250,000? That really should find you something in Georgetown, depending on your requirements.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I live 5 minutes from Salado, do some of my shopping there. Neat little town, and I've never had anyone be at all unfriendly or rude to me; quite the contrary. (I'm an "older lady" myself, by the way.) Perhaps the gentleman in question was having a bad day? I wouldn't judge on one person on one day, for that very reason - we all have our off days.

I'm a Methodist preacher's kid, myself, read the Methodist Discipline (all 600 pages!) back when I was growing up, and came to the conclusion that, in brief, it said, "Don't do anything to hurt anyone else, and don't drink unless you really want to". So "laissez-faire" would seem to fit.

"Clanman" makes me wonder; are you of the Scots persuasion? If so, you'll fit right in; they have an annual Gathering of the Clans (http://www.ctam-salado.org/Gathering/Gathering.htm - broken link) that's been going on since 1961, apparently. Lots of activities for a small town, due to the tourist element, and not too much of a drive to either Temple or Austin for brighter lights if you're in the mood.

As far as Georgetown is concerned, what are you looking for for your $250,000? That really should find you something in Georgetown, depending on your requirements.
Thank you for your reply, TexasHorseLady! I have a 16 yr old granddaughter up in Indiana who loves horses, so if we settle in the Salado area I'll have to find out from you where she might like to hang out when she comes to visit. Im sure the man in the shop was having a bad day, no doubt about that. I've been on the other side of the shopping experience and it's not always easy to keep a smile on your face! What we really loved in cruising around Georgetown was the historic section off of University, the older homes with so much character. But we don't want to take on a huge renovation project, so would like something that has been updated already. It seems most of what I've seen online for homes in the 1800sf or higher range are prices in the 300 and 400's. I don't know the town well enough to know where to find other really nice older green neighborhoods are, but if you can make suggestions I'll certainly look into them. We think a lot of the homes listed on trulia in Salado are nice, and prices seem affordable. Are you a realtor in the Salado area? Thanks again for your help!

Old 12-03-2011, 11:51 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I'm in the Salado area, but it's the very northern part of my range (odd, since I live so close!) and in a different MLS than I, personally, am in, though my broker is in that MLS.

I love the older homes, myself (the farmhouse we live in was actually built in Austin in the early years of the last century and moved out here by someone in 1970), so I know where you're coming from as far as that's concerned. There may be some possibilities in Georgetown in your budget north of 29 and east of the square.

There's also, not quite as old, but still with personality, the Serenada neighborhood off Williams Drive.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm in the Salado area, but it's the very northern part of my range (odd, since I live so close!) and in a different MLS than I, personally, am in, though my broker is in that MLS.

I love the older homes, myself (the farmhouse we live in was actually built in Austin in the early years of the last century and moved out here by someone in 1970), so I know where you're coming from as far as that's concerned. There may be some possibilities in Georgetown in your budget north of 29 and east of the square.

There's also, not quite as old, but still with personality, the Serenada neighborhood off Williams Drive.
TexashorseLady, I'm glad to hear that Georgetown might be a possibility...I looked at a few homes on zillow in the areas you mentioned and see some that are in our ballpark price wise , especially Serenada, but would really love to find something in that area north of 29 and east of the square that we could afford! We will try to spend a bit of time down in the area in the next year or so and make up our minds as to what area we prefer, Georgetown or Salado, and once we are ready to actually start house shopping will be in touch. Would you send me your contact info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas