Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:52 AM

4 posts, read 18,325 times

Advertisements

I've been researching different cities to relocate around the country and I've been thinking that Knoxville might be the one, however I've been doing research on various cities in Texas and San Antonio, Dallas, Houston and Austin are interesting me as well. I've copy/pasted a list of questions that I posted specifically about Knoxville here and would love any input you all have.

I'm a blend of conservative and liberal i.e. I vote Democrat and I'm pro choice, but I'm not over-the-top hipster. I'm college educated, I don't use drugs, again I'm not in to the whole hipster thing, I'm intellectually curious and I'm seeking a simpler and more traditional place to live. I want to be able to access healthy organic food and go running in clean parks, but I like my good old fried chicken and a lifestyle that doesn't take health and environmental issues too seriously. Any thoughts on what city may be a good fit for me between SA, Dallas, Houston and Austin?

I have a lot of specific questions, so here goes:

1. Is there a large hipster community in these cities?

2. Are there a lot of early 30's, single, college educated adults?

3. I would like to live in an area that is close to the city center, safe and somewhat trendy. As in, I will be renting an apartment and my price range is around $600-$700/month.

4. Is the economy and job growth as good as we all read?

5. Is there an element of old south, old money, non-transplant population there?

6. Are there farmer's markets in all of these cities. If so, what months do they run?

7. Is getting around without a car realistic in any of these cities?

8. What will the temperature be towards the end of February/early March? Which is the sunniest of these cities?

9. Are there many asians or mixed ethnics there?

Thanks in advance for your answers. I'd really appreciate thoughtful answers from people who live there or have lived there recently.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-08-2011 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: moved from the San Antonio Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 10:50 PM

308 posts, read 638,052 times
That's a lot of questions but Houston sounds about right to me. Well, except you'll need a car in any city in Texas. And I can't exactly answer the hipster question. But I know Houston has everything else, I have no doubt there's a hipster populations too. And there's a thriving Asian population there more so than I've noticed in Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin. Sunniest City? El Paso, but not on your list. College educated 30 year olds - Dallas, Austin or Houston. Economy: All, with an edge to Houston. Farmers market: All I would guess.

You sound like a Houston person to me. If I hadn't lived in North Texas all my life I would be in Houston tomorrow. Great place with a fast paced vibe. There's a reason immigrants go to Houston with their "can do" spirit.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:18 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
If that's a list of things you want, I'd say Houston would be your best fit, with Dallas second. The problem you will have is budget.... I don't know if yours would get you in the areas in town you'd want.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:35 PM

35 posts, read 87,649 times
Houston is not your best bet. Austin is a much better fit. Austin is liberal, Houston isn't save a couple of pockets. Houston is hot, humid, ugly, and crime ridden.

You can not NOT have a car in any Texas city. Texas doesn't seem to get the notion of public transportation.

Austin has your "hipster" element more than any other Texas city. It's a college town (UT) and has all the nightlife, liberal leaning fun you are wanting.

All of Texas is hot and humid, Houston being chief offender. Austin is much more habitable weather wise.

Austin is in the 70s in February and March as is most of Texas, sometimes the low 80s in mid afternoon.

Texas has a lot of that "old money" and "good ol' boy" attitude, but you will feel that least of all in Austin by far. Austin in the last 10 or so years has seen a lot of influx from other states, so the attitude there is more palatable and tolerant than most other Texas cities. There are plenty of Asians and mixed-race people in Austin. It's a liberal city and it's non-official motto is "Keep Austin Weird".

Wages are low in Texas. Keep that in mind. Austin, too. It's a college town and employers know this and take advantage of this. With a degree and some experience, you should be able to make it with little issue, but shop around. I recommend using a recruiter as they know the area and how to negotiate better on your behalf.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
From your questions I would say East Dallas would be a good fit - search for Greenville Avenue, Knox-Henderson, Lakewood, Deep Ellum, Expo Park. You can find all sorts of properties in that range and there is good mass transit and walkablity. It borders downtown and uptown and extends over to White Rock Lake.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:50 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,172 times
Personally I would avoid Houston unless sentenced to prison there. Austin is cool, hip, and rather diverse. It is very liberal where most of the rest of Texas is not. Dallas is pretty metropolitan in spots. San Antonio is very much full of Latin culture.

I live near San Antonio. It's a pleasant mix of everything.

Keep in mind, this is Texas, not New York, and that's how Texans like it. It's a bit different and not all that well liked by those from NY, LA, Chicago... but we don't care much about that.

You sound like somebody that would fit in around here.

You'll need a car.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:03 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
If you like Knoxville, Austin is more similar than the other Texas cities. Austin is a college city (with the "other" UT), a state capitol, and has a younger feel and vibe. Highest per capita earnings and education of the four cities. Austin is world HQ for Whole Foods but there is no shortage of fattening Texas or Tex-Mex anywhere.

San Antonio has its own Mexican charm, but it is the least educated and is not hip.

Houston and Dallas have big city amenities and people argue endlessly which is better. Both have a mix of "old" and "new" money.

Weather amonst the four is much more similar than different. Houston has more humidity because of its proximity to the Gulf. It is not as hot in the heat of summer as the other three. Dallas is colder, and probably slightly hotter than the others.

You might want to look into Fort Worth. It is younger feeling to me than Dallas and has a different vibe.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:26 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Personally I would avoid Houston unless sentenced to prison there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by co95 View Post
Houston is not your best bet. Austin is a much better fit. Austin is liberal, Houston isn't save a couple of pockets. Houston is hot, humid, ugly, and crime ridden.
OP don't listen to these haters. Houston and Dallas has most of everything you need, and are just as liberal as Austin.

Austin has the liberal for some vibe. In terms or real liberal values check Houston or Dallas. Austin is the more environmental hug a tree liberal, while Houston and Dallas are more the socially liberal kind..

You can tell how unaccepting Austin's is, just look at how they put down other cities^^

1. Is there a large hipster community in these cities?
Houston, Dallas and Austin do have their pockets, and yes I say pockets for Austin because it is just the central portion that is liberal, just like Houston and Dallas. Don't be fooled by the Austinites.

2. Are there a lot of early 30's, single, college educated adults?
Houston, Dallas and Austin => all three are very young cities.

3. I would like to live in an area that is close to the city center, safe and somewhat trendy. As in, I will be renting an apartment and my price range is around $600-$700/month. Austin is the most expensive but you can find nice areas in all three for that amount. $600 would get you a nice one bedroom in Montrose, a nice hip, liberal area close to midtown and downtown Houston.

4. Is the economy and job growth as good as we all read?
All three have been better than most areas of the US. apply to all three and see where you get offers

5. Is there an element of old south, old money, non-transplant population there? Yes, in all three, but more so in Houston, San Antonio and Dallas than Austin

6. Are there farmer's markets in all of these cities. If so, what months do they run? Yes. in all 4. The Farmers Markets here run from Spring till late in Fall. There are sizeable ones in different areas of Houston. I know that there are some rather close to Montrose.

7. Is getting around without a car realistic in any of these cities?
If you live in montrose and work within the loop you would not hav etoo much trouble. There are numerous buses that run threw the area and some run very late at night and start back up very early in the morning. Montrose is also about 5 blocks from the rail. There are tons of restaurant options in Montrose and more grocery areas are opening every year. There is a Central market and Whole foods very close to Montrose, and these are more accessible by public transportation than in Austin.

8. What will the temperature be towards the end of February/early March? Which is the sunniest of these cities?
February:
Houston- highs 65, lows 45
Austin- Highs 65, lows 45
Dallas- Highs 60, lows 40

the temps are really mild in these areas of Texas in February

9. Are there many asians or mixed ethnics there?
Houston and Dallas are very diverse. Houston has historically been the more Asian city in Texas, but Dallas has quickly caught up. Austin is behind on diversity, and San Antonio is even further.

If you want a good mix of ethnicities then Houston and DFW would be the best bet.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:29 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Seriously, don't make stuff up. You think Austin is not hotter, almost as humid, or lower in all crime? Has no strip malls, and taller trees than Houston? Do you never get out?

Exhibit A everyone - classic case of Austintude (look it up).

Old 12-09-2011, 08:05 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Austin is every bit as hot, if not more so than Houston. It's almost as humid, and has its fair share of crime. Don't let the Austitude fool you. I've lived in both places for several years each time.

Ugly? If Austin had no zoning, it would be called quirky and weird in a good way. But because it's Houston, it's bad. Serious double-standard.

Quote:
Austin has your "hipster" element more than any other Texas city. It's a college town (UT) and has all the nightlife, liberal leaning fun you are wanting.
Montrose in Houston is every bit as much of this as Austin. It continually gets on best neighborhood lists and to me is more genuine because it doesn't try or boast. And actually, when I was living in Austin I found it a lot more provincial than I expected (and I was living centrally, not the suburbs.) But yes, Austin has more college-centered nightlife, if that's something one wants.

Quote:
All of Texas is hot and humid, Houston being chief offender. Austin is much more habitable weather wise.
Whatever! Austin is just as bad. It's less humid, but it's more hot. We're splitting hairs here with weather, and to say otherwise is insincere.

Quote:
Texas has a lot of that "old money" and "good ol' boy" attitude, but you will feel that least of all in Austin by far. Austin in the last 10 or so years has seen a lot of influx from other states, so the attitude there is more palatable and tolerant than most other Texas cities. There are plenty of Asians and mixed-race people in Austin. It's a liberal city and it's non-official motto is "Keep Austin Weird".
Houston has the old money and that's also why it has the excellent museums and performing arts that Austin does not. The old money established this in the last century. I guess you've never heard of any of it... sad. As far as diversity and mixed race, even suburban Fort Bend County southwest of Houston, where I now live, has Austin beat on that by a long shot. Let's not go there. And we're even "slimmer" too! You really need to get out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Personally I would avoid Houston unless sentenced to prison there. Austin is cool, hip, and rather diverse. It is very liberal where most of the rest of Texas is not.
Wow. Just, wow.
Sorry, OP. It's obvious some newbies on here don't get out too much. I'm slightly embarrassed for them right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas