Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:09 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,579 times

Advertisements

Doc, many of the trees in Texas are evergreen varieties of Juniper and Oak. Obviously not all areas are going to turn fall colors. That does not mean that there aren't pockets of genuine fall color in the Hill Country and other parts of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 01:25 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
You mean I lived in Texas between 1970 to 2004 and never saw a really decent Fall?!? (OK, I missed the autumn of 1981, as I spent about 18 months in Colorado at that time; and left in Aug 2004, so didn't see the Autumn that year). Yeah -- there were some pockets of colour in Southeast Texas. Even taking into account all the live oak and native cedar (actually juniper) trees in Austin and Central Texas, I wouldn't say the deciduous trees ever turned really nicely.

Texas has some nice natural features, but colourful autumns isn't one of them.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:54 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
You mean I lived in Texas between 1970 to 2004 and never saw a really decent Fall?!? (OK, I missed the autumn of 1981, as I spent about 18 months in Colorado at that time; and left in Aug 2004, so didn't see the Autumn that year). Yeah -- there were some pockets of colour in Southeast Texas. Even taking into account all the live oak and native cedar (actually juniper) trees in Austin and Central Texas, I wouldn't say the deciduous trees ever turned really nicely.

I have been here for 34 years and this is the best one I can remember.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
This is an extraordinary fall in Central Texas. That being said, I've lived in Texas for 60 years now and I've seen some truly outstanding color in East Texas (used to see it all the time when I was growing up there). Yellows, reds, oranges, bright and glowing.

I also remember some other beautiful falls in Central Texas (I moved to Central Texas in 1969, doctorjef, so we were during the same period). More subtle than this year, but truly lovely.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:

Are you here now???

2004 was over like 7 years ago.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:51 PM

33 posts, read 55,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This is an extraordinary fall in Central Texas. That being said, I've lived in Texas for 60 years now and I've seen some truly outstanding color in East Texas (used to see it all the time when I was growing up there). Yellows, reds, oranges, bright and glowing.

I also remember some other beautiful falls in Central Texas (I moved to Central Texas in 1969, doctorjef, so we were during the same period). More subtle than this year, but truly lovely.
I have seen some beautiful falls in the 10 years that I have been here in East Texas, and this was one was certainly one of them.

Maples, tupelos, sweet gums, hickories, white oaks, red oaks, pear trees, dogwoods, all had beautiful color this year. I think the mild temperature this fall has allowed the leaves to remain on the trees for longer than they usually do.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:53 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
Yes, 2004 was 7 years ago. What's your point? Do you think that Autumn climate in Texas has undergone some huge modification in the last seven years, relative to what it was before that? Indeed, if I go back to my childhood, I've been observing some Texas autumns since the 1950's. I don't recall any of them being really striking. Places I've lived that have colourful autumns include Colorado, Virginia, DC, and Delaware -- but indeed I'd say northern Delaware more than any of the other places (although the combo of the mountains and aspens in CO can be pretty amazing).

But glad your Autumn this year is better than normal.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:57 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Yes, 2004 was 7 years ago. What's your point? Do you think that Autumn climate in Texas has undergone some huge modification in the last seven years, relative to what it was before that? Indeed, if I go back to my childhood, I've been observing some Texas autumns since the 1950's. I don't recall any of them being really striking. Places I've lived that have colourful autumns include Colorado, Virginia, DC, and Delaware -- but indeed I'd say northern Delaware more than any of the other places (although the combo of the mountains and aspens in CO can be pretty amazing).

But glad your Autumn this year is better than normal.
My point is it is 2011 and you're not even here to experience or see what we're talking about; yet trying to argue with us.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:04 PM

33 posts, read 55,488 times
Quote:
Places I've lived that have colourful autumns include Colorado, Virginia, DC, and Delaware -- but indeed I'd say northern Delaware more than any of the other places (although the combo of the mountains and aspens in CO can be pretty amazing).
I think that is part of what has made this fall so nice in Texas. People expect colorful foliage in places like you have mentioned, but not many people think of Texas when they think of fall colors. So when we do have a beautiful fall, it is a sight for sore eyes.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:58 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
Our Bigtooth Maple doesn't turn color until December. It knows when to do that and that's fine with me! I'm just grateful for all the drizzle we've been getting. Nothing like drought to make you appreciate the days that are cloudy, cool and just drizzling every day for a week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas