Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 04:22 PM

227 posts, read 385,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
In reality, if you aren't going to Rice, Texas or A&M, the majority of college-bound folks should probably go out of state to schools better than the rest of Texas universities.
Sorry but this is arrogant nonsense. If you are graduating from a professional school and want to work in Dallas, Houston, Austin or similar, you will do at least as well with a degree from Tech, SMU, TCU, Baylor or UH as you will a degree from A&M or UT. Starting salaries will be almost the same.

If your goal is to get a position in NYC working on Wall Street, then yes you'll probably need an MBA but you will need to get it from Harvard or Stanford or similar, so Rice and UT become relatively meaningless at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 11:22 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,470 times
Stephen F. Austin state university is a great growing college in east Texas.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:24 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2014 View Post
Sorry but this is arrogant nonsense. If you are graduating from a professional school and want to work in Dallas, Houston, Austin or similar, you will do at least as well with a degree from Tech, SMU, TCU, Baylor or UH as you will a degree from A&M or UT. Starting salaries will be almost the same.

If your goal is to get a position in NYC working on Wall Street, then yes you'll probably need an MBA but you will need to get it from Harvard or Stanford or similar, so Rice and UT become relatively meaningless at that point.
Not really in your second post. I have a couple friends that graduated from Howard that works in Wall Street. So UT and Rice is good as well.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:26 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
It is universally acknowledged AAU schools are the only truly "Tier 1" out there.
The AAU designation and group is mostly bunk. It is a mostly a lobbying organization that secures federal 'research' funds for it's member schools, and then rates schools based on how much federal (state and private corporate research don't count nearly as much) funds they procure, and lo and behold, AAU universities come out on top!

In other words, if you are looking into a field where securing federal research dollars is required, then AAU is first and best choice by far, but for public affairs, history, architecture, English, social work, agriculture, law, business, and most other fields, then the AAU designation is completely meaningless.

Yay college!

Old 07-17-2014, 09:16 AM

4 posts, read 4,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
But if you stop and take off your burnt orange or maroon sunglasses.....
QFT

Old 07-17-2014, 09:17 AM

4 posts, read 4,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Stephen F. Austin state university is a great growing college in east Texas.
SFA is a pretty good school for the B-student. And I'm not saying that to be a downer.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:07 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomtomb View Post
SFA is a pretty good school for the B-student. And I'm not saying that to be a downer.
Depends. If you want to get into forestry I would guess the A-student would pick it over UT or A&M. If you are interested in criminal justice an A-student would pick Sam Houston State over UT or A&M. For all other majors a B-student is exactly what Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, and Texas State would go.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:08 PM

693 posts, read 1,108,054 times
I am naturally suspicious of any status-granting body like Carnegie or AAU. However, the proof is in the pudding in the state of Texas. Rice, Texas and A&M are the big 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
The AAU designation and group is mostly bunk. It is a mostly a lobbying organization that secures federal 'research' funds for it's member schools, and then rates schools based on how much federal (state and private corporate research don't count nearly as much) funds they procure, and lo and behold, AAU universities come out on top!

In other words, if you are looking into a field where securing federal research dollars is required, then AAU is first and best choice by far, but for public affairs, history, architecture, English, social work, agriculture, law, business, and most other fields, then the AAU designation is completely meaningless.

Yay college!
Just have to disagree with you here. It's all about what you want out of a college experience and future earning potential. For me, I would prefer other large state schools with sizable alumni networks and above average academic reputations over second or third tier institutions in this state.

Assuming the top three schools in Texas are not an option for me, as well as no private schools in this state, that doesn't leave a whole lots of attractive choices for me. UH, Tech and maaaaaaaaybe SWT. Give me LSU, Alabama, Florida, Missouri, Oklahoma or Ole Miss any day over the Texas options.

Disclaimer - I am a 7th generation Texan but not too proud to realize that good educations are available elsewhere.

Quote:

Old 07-17-2014, 05:32 PM

227 posts, read 385,830 times
It's hard for me to comprehend anyone putting LSU or Ole Miss over Texas Tech. UH is still struggling with a commuter school reputation so perhaps I can see that if you are looking for college sports. Florida and Mizzou have strong reputations but LSU? Ole Miss?

Old 07-20-2014, 05:24 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
It depends on your major; Sam Houston State always makes the TOP 5 in the NATION for Criminal Justice.
The University of North Texas is high in music and public administration.

Otherwise most people would agree Rice is the best private school in the State and UT is the best public school A&M has some programs that are tops as well.

One of the posters was bragging "That's why I brought my kids to live in Houston!!" Perspective. Texas is near the bottom in public education-grade school-high school although one high school in Dallas is in the nation's top 10.

We often like to compare ourselves with California . Rice and UT are not even on the same level as Stanford and Berkeley ( or Michigan and Virginia).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas