Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 03:43 AM

41 posts, read 89,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
You can look in professional publications to see small towns near big cities who will hire grads and mentor them. There are towns like Del Rio, Uvalde west of San Antonio who need nurses. Also, San Antonio itself. The border towns from Laredo to Brownsville have multiple opportunities for grads.
Look at a map of Texas, throw a dart and walk in and get a job.
Anywhere south of Austin will seldom get snow. We did have a serious blizzard in San Antonio last winter. It snowed 0.04 in of snow. Shut the whole city down till 11 AM when it all melted.
0.04 inches of snow?! Lol I couldnt help but to laugh at that! Getting that amount of snow in MI would be like heaven. But on the plus side, if it snows that much when Im there I guess I'll have free reign over the roads, because Im assuming people are scared to drive in that "massive" amount of snow, lol!

I never would have thought that San Antonio needed nurses. Well, Im sure they need experienced nurses, but are they actively hiring new nurses?

Im definitely going to look into the towns that you mentioned. San Antonio would be a nice place to live if they did actually hire new nurses, so I'll be looking into that. Thanks for all the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Also, keep in mind, in order to obtain a Texas nursing license, you must be fingerprinted and pass an FBI background check. I don't mention this because you can't, but because it can take a couple of months or so . Good luck.
You know, now that I think about it we had to get fingerprinted prior to starting our nursing program in 2010. Our school also makes us complete an annual background check. So I wonder if that would be sufficient enough to speed up that entire process.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starmickey03 View Post
0.04 inches of snow?! Lol I couldnt help but to laugh at that! Getting that amount of snow in MI would be like heaven. But on the plus side, if it snows that much when Im there I guess I'll have free reign over the roads, because Im assuming people are scared to drive in that "massive" amount of snow, lol!

I never would have thought that San Antonio needed nurses. Well, Im sure they need experienced nurses, but are they actively hiring new nurses?

Im definitely going to look into the towns that you mentioned. San Antonio would be a nice place to live if they did actually hire new nurses, so I'll be looking into that. Thanks for all the help!
It doesn't snow much in Texas...generally 1-10" inches on one day annually with Amarillo and Lubbock maybe getting more. Now when it does snow, stay off the streets and side walks! You may know how to drive in snowy weather but I promise you the remaining 25 million drivers on the street don't LOL

Anyhow, my guess would be Houston or Dallas. Houston has some of the best health care in the US and Dallas in my opinion has some of the best Children's health care in the nation. The next thing would be follow the money. Midland/Odessa is in an Oil boom and Midland is doing a massive remolding of their hospital...basically building a new and even larger facility.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:36 AM

679 posts, read 1,802,487 times
Check out the Hill Country, some of the smaller towns have nice proximity to San Antonio and Austin. And it is a beautiful area. Fredericksburg, Boerne, Kerrville, New Braunfels all have hospitals.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:10 AM

Thanks I'll check it out!

Old 12-13-2011, 05:58 PM

58 posts, read 90,119 times
Don't worry about the licensing process in Texas. The entire process of applying online, verifying that I was a licensed RN in Florida, taking the jurisprudence exam, and submitting the fingerprint card took less than 6 weeks. I had my Texas License in hand within 6 weeks. It was all simple and straightforward.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:19 PM

5 posts, read 17,148 times
Fort worth- cook children's hospital pays nurses the best. It a big city though but has a cool downtown scene.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:58 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmsmitty View Post
Fort worth- cook children's hospital pays nurses the best. It a big city though but has a cool downtown scene.
Fort Worth is a big city, but its kinda like San Antonio in that it has a small town feel.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmsmitty View Post
Thanks, but I cannot work with kids.
Just not my cup of tea.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicsboy2000 View Post
Don't worry about the licensing process in Texas. The entire process of applying online, verifying that I was a licensed RN in Florida, taking the jurisprudence exam, and submitting the fingerprint card took less than 6 weeks. I had my Texas License in hand within 6 weeks. It was all simple and straightforward.
Thanks. Very good to know. I would assume the process would be even simpler for me since it will be my initial license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas