U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2012, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Midland/Dallas
4,047 posts, read 3,863,499 times
Reputation: 2855
You guys having any luck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2012, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
6 posts, read 36,159 times
Reputation: 13
I'm still in the Midland area looking around. I can say for sure that Frac Tech in Odessa is looking for people with CDL A/CDL A Permits. I already went thru an interview with Frac Tech and I'm slowly going broke waiting on my background check to come back.

Also Pioneer Drilling (different company from Pioneer Natural Resources) in Midland is looking for people for their drilling and trucking divisions. I still have to go over there and apply with them, but I've met so many people by accident who have given me their cards I'm just trying to follow up on leads.

Also since Schlumberg is in town supposedly SOSStaffing in midland handles all of their applicants so I need to look into that.

Their are jobs for signs for CDL drivers at Lonestar Distribution and other companys all along industrial rd right next to the i-20 business rd in between Odessa/Midland.

Hmm anyone else out here still looking I've even found a local bar where some of the oil rig and driver guys go lol.

SVTRay, yeah I mightve seen you out in town and not even known it
The guys at Frac Tech said they are gettin a lot more new equipment and said they are going to start hiring a lot more people and I'm actually a bit lucky to have gotten my foot into an interview so fast. The pay is a bit lower from what I understand, but I did get a small bump (about 18/hr starting), although some of the people I met said I should definitely keep applying everywhere cause other companies are starting their people off at 20+.

Also the guy at Frac Tech was givin me choices of staying at a mancamp 2 hours south of midland or staying here and having the company pay for my living for a few weeks. So it seems like they take care of their people?

I just hope these checks hurry up cause this town is still expensive.

Last edited by vosake; 01-23-2012 at 01:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2012, 02:01 PM
 
12 posts, read 29,987 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vosake View Post
I'm still in the Midland area looking around. I can say for sure that Frac Tech in Odessa is looking for people with CDL A/CDL A Permits. I already went thru an interview with Frac Tech and I'm slowly going broke waiting on my background check to come back.

Also Pioneer Drilling (different company from Pioneer Natural Resources) in Midland is looking for people for their drilling and trucking divisions. I still have to go over there and apply with them, but I've met so many people by accident who have given me their cards I'm just trying to follow up on leads.

Also since Schlumberg is in town supposedly SOSStaffing in midland handles all of their applicants so I need to look into that.

Their are jobs for signs for CDL drivers at Lonestar Distribution and other companys all along industrial rd right next to the i-20 business rd in between Odessa/Midland.

Hmm anyone else out here still looking I've even found a local bar where some of the oil rig and driver guys go lol.

SVTRay, yeah I mightve seen you out in town and not even known it
The guys at Frac Tech said they are gettin a lot more new equipment and said they are going to start hiring a lot more people and I'm actually a bit lucky to have gotten my foot into an interview so fast. The pay is a bit lower from what I understand, but I did get a small bump (about 18/hr starting), although some of the people I met said I should definitely keep applying everywhere cause other companies are starting their people off at 20+.

Also the guy at Frac Tech was givin me choices of staying at a mancamp 2 hours south of midland or staying here and having the company pay for my living for a few weeks. So it seems like they take care of their people?

I just hope these checks hurry up cause this town is still expensive.

My buddy went down and worked for a couple weeks. He is back now, i am waiting to get tax money and then might go back down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2012, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Alabama
112 posts, read 193,029 times
Reputation: 32
Sounds like y'all had a lot more luck than I did but considering you have a CDL, I am not surprised. I had tried to get in to talk to someone at Frac Tech while I was in town but with no CDL, they just wanted me to fill out app and sent me on my way.

Did not really have much luck at getting interviews, but like you said that little town is quite expensive so I had to keep traveling. Of course the job fair in Laredo was probably a wash since I was just one of about 6000 people applying. But I guess I will have to wait and see if anyone calls back.

I did get a call today while I was on the road from a company called Chalk Mountain Services out of Mansfield TX. Don't know much yet but it was for a field supervisor in San Angelo. 6 days on and 3 off, no relocation pkg or per diem and it was a salary position. If anyone knows anything about them please share.

I don't want to throw anything away at this point, but it has to be financially feasible to make it happen, if you know what I mean...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Midland/Dallas
4,047 posts, read 3,863,499 times
Reputation: 2855
Now wasn't there someone here with construction experience? I can't recall if if was this thread or not. Anyhow, I was watching the news and construction companies are swamped! They got at least a years worth of work lined up and then some. We're getting a Hilton Garden hotel, another restaurant, church, apartment complex and several new neighbor hoods. Their laying all the plumbing and electrical for a whole new neighborhood behind our son's school for example. It shouldn't be much longer before the pave the roads and start working on the homes.

Just figured I would pass that on to those without a CDL but have construction experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
6 posts, read 36,159 times
Reputation: 13
Well looks like I'm good to go. I start my work paperwork at Frac Tech this coming Friday
Oh and the HR Lady I spoke with said I have to do a physical. Anyone have any idea what that includes? Or is it like the DOT physical?

Besides that good news, thanks again SVTRay and all others for the good info.

So some more helpful info from me.
I went to Pioneer Natural Resources again yesterday to see what was going on with my app. The HR Lady up front found it in the hiring guys' office and said he hadnt done anything with it yet (since last Tuesday). Of course I was not happy with the answer but she told me to call today and speak with her since she said she would remind him. SO I guess they are really busy.

However while I was there I picked up a flyer with hiring information for Pioneer Natural Resources:
They are currently hiring for the following positions Supervisors, Electronic Techs, Coil Tubing Operators, Frac Equipment Operators, Heavy Equipment Mechanics.

Requirements:
*Previous frac exp a plus , but not required.
*applicants must have a cdl a ( I still think this is negotiable but Im not sure)
*must pass drug screen and dot physical

They are hiring for Victoria, tx 361-579-0500, midland 432-221-8100, and alvord, tx 940-626-8192 or u can apply online.
But like everyone else said I would highly suggest you just show up at their door or any other companies' door. Ive noticed since I've been in midland that they relax a lot of requirements if you show up with the right frame of mind and sometimes qualifications.

Good luck guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 09:06 AM
 
3 posts, read 13,039 times
Reputation: 14
Hey everyone, great information

But can you all give me an idea on cost of living and start pay of a CDL driver with hazmat/tanker and 14+yrs of driving experience/not in oilfield?

Don't want to show up and apply if we can't get ahead. Checked into ND but like everyone else has found out-housing is a problem

Thank you for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Midland/Dallas
4,047 posts, read 3,863,499 times
Reputation: 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaron60 View Post
Hey everyone, great information

But can you all give me an idea on cost of living and start pay of a CDL driver with hazmat/tanker and 14+yrs of driving experience/not in oilfield?

Don't want to show up and apply if we can't get ahead. Checked into ND but like everyone else has found out-housing is a problem

Thank you for any input
Housing is an issue here as well. Their building apartments as fast as they can and it doesn't take long to fill them. The same thing with houses, their building new neighbor hoods every where I look and their sold before their completed. We got people living in hotels and at work. My old job bought a bunch of trailers for workers to live at the yard. Now with that said, I think you will have a slightly better chance of securing a place here in West Texas than ND.

As for wages, you could probably land a job hauling crude for 60-75k or more. We also need drivers hauling diesel and Acid. Now a lot of the diesel jobs like what I did was driving a bobtail tanker starting out about 40k. I don't know the average on Acid but I was offered 18/hr. Now a lot of companies will state 40-70hrs but you're probably going to see more unless you're on a set schedule. Crude haulers for example work 12hr shifts. I'll be honest, you're probably not going to find a legit log book in the oilfield. But you can get legal extra hrs however since oilfield drivers only need 24hrs to reset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 10:48 PM
 
39 posts, read 86,199 times
Reputation: 31
I'm still lurking SVTRay and thanks for all the information everyone.

I lucked out and have a job at the moment but I am keeping my eye on the oil fields as I would like to work 14/7 again with 12 hour shifts.

If anyone one runs into some people that work on the rigs I would like to find out if the rigs are doubles or triples and what the turnover rate is for the rig hands and drillers.

I was an assistant driller many years ago and I'm trying to figure out how long it would take to work my way up to being a driller. It would take a least a year for me to refresh my skills to move up to become a driller and that's only if there is a lot of growth and or turnover in the industry.

Just tire kicking at the moment but it would be nice to get in touch with a few people working the rigs. Getting a PM with a phone number or two would be great.

Good luck to everyone that is looking for work!

Dave J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Midland/Dallas
4,047 posts, read 3,863,499 times
Reputation: 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigPig View Post
I'm still lurking SVTRay and thanks for all the information everyone.

I lucked out and have a job at the moment but I am keeping my eye on the oil fields as I would like to work 14/7 again with 12 hour shifts.

If anyone one runs into some people that work on the rigs I would like to find out if the rigs are doubles or triples and what the turnover rate is for the rig hands and drillers.

I was an assistant driller many years ago and I'm trying to figure out how long it would take to work my way up to being a driller. It would take a least a year for me to refresh my skills to move up to become a driller and that's only if there is a lot of growth and or turnover in the industry.

Just tire kicking at the moment but it would be nice to get in touch with a few people working the rigs. Getting a PM with a phone number or two would be great.

Good luck to everyone that is looking for work!

Dave J
I was talking to another guy on CD about crude hauling and someone mentioned Pioneer. Well the other day I actually met a guy who is a supervisor for one of the crews drilling for Pioneer. If you're still interested, I'll ask him if their hiring? Now I'm out of town and only see the guy when we pick our kids up from school, and that is only when he's not working. So it could be a week or two before I see him again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top