Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 8,964 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the schools in Odessa and Midland we are moving there and I need so information on which schools are better I have 2 young children. Please nothing about the fact that the movie Friday night lights was based on the Permian High school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 03:57 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Well, Friday Night Lights does give a peer into some of the mentality that can exist there, that athletics can often take precedence over academics. Midland schools are the only ones worth attending. From what I can tell, Midland High and Midland Lee and their corresponding feeder schools aren't noticeably different in quality.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:00 PM

4 posts, read 8,964 times
Thank you

Old 01-01-2012, 10:47 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Midland schools in my opinion are slightly better. Santa Rita is a good school in particular for younger kids K-6. Abel and San Jacinto are probably your better options for 7-8 grade. Freshman is another story, you got two options and I really don't like either one...although I would stick with Midland Freshman. As for high schools, Midland High was more noted for academics in my day while Lee had a better football team. Midland also has a very good junior college that actually has started some BA degrees! UTPA is a stone throw away in Odessa as well.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 22,115 times
If you're not from Texas it doesn't matter where you go, you will bate it. Texas schools in general and Midland/Odessa in particular are struggling to accommodate all the new arrivals.

My advice is get a house wherever you can and then go in and talk to the office ladies, and join the PTA. That way your kids will have a roof over their head (which helps) and you can make the schools better for everyone.

My kids have excelled with lousy teachers or with great ones, they've been in small class rooms and large. The difference that makes in negligible. They are going to get a good education, if for no other reason then because the teachers and the school KNOW you.

(Also, if you are coming from out of state: elementary students are given actual grades and they will have homework. Be forewarned.)

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 22,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthomas9 View Post
Please nothing about the fact that the movie Friday night lights was based on the Permian High school.
The only lesson that should be learner from FNL is to save 10% of every paycheck. Oil towns boom and then bust.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:45 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgsummerville View Post
The only lesson that should be learner from FNL is to save 10% of every paycheck. Oil towns boom and then bust.
Only 10%? I would put back 25%.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:25 AM

118 posts, read 273,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgsummerville View Post
True, but not just oil towns, look at Detroit and Las Vegas. People should be put money back and be ready for bust in every town.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:11 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
I went to Scharbauer Elementary, Washington Magnet,Abell Junior High,and Lee High School in Midland and I had positive experiences with them.I graduated in 2009.However, we do not have good freshman schools in Midland. I reccomend living in Midland over Odessa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: