Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:04 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
It is amazing to hear the lib/progressive/Dem supporters (they're like athletic supporters ... close to nuts) call EVERY Repub candidate a "nut". Yet the present dictatorial liar-in-chief probably has their full support as he makes non-recess appointments totally against constitutional relegated powers. Sweet!

In well publicized news Perry retired (while collecting a salary he is also collecting retirement). I am no fan of RP but most politicians are less than honest and many are plain evil. This country is in quite a pickle with its present leadership on both sides of the aisle. The state will be OK for now most likely although if the Dems come into gubernatorial power I'd expect to see a drive to raise taxes while other fees are raised also. That's what Dems do ... raise taxes!
I am a Republican and I call most of them nutty. WHY oh why can't get get a candidate who follows the "Mr. Conservative" Barry Goldwater philosphy where the government has no business in personal lives or religion?

Old 01-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Some posts above were deleted. I refer those who may be new to discussing national politics in the Texas forum to the thread below for details on how to do it within the rules.

How to Discuss NATIONAL Politics in the TEXAS forum

Old 01-05-2012, 01:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
The further question, of course, is whether or not Texans will still care to elect Perry to yet another term as governor after he's proved such a failure in his ill-considered run at the Repub nom for POTUS. Might Perry lose in the next gubernatorial Repub primary; if not, might he actually lose to the Democratic nominee? Or will he throw in the electoral towel of his own accord after this debacle?
I do think that the national spotlight has exposed Perry's numerous flaws far more then they ever were when he was simply running for Governor. Many more Texans now realize how unqualified and incompetent he is. I doubt he has much future left in Texas politics after this.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:32 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
The voters chosen candidate as well....if I am reading the result of the Iowa primary correctly.

It's amazing how rabid Ron Paul supporters are. He ran in Iowa, he had the war chest, he still lost. He doesn't have all the normal excuses this time of "the media is out to get him, the republican establishment is out to get him, blah blah". He just flat out lost based on the merits of his ideas and his percieved electability. Just like every other candidate that wasn't Romeny. Paul came in 3rd. A close 3rd, but 3rd place doesn't get to be president.

If you support Ron Paul, super! But why all the conspiracy theories behind his CONSTANT dismal results at national polls? Just face facts, for every one Ron Paul groupie that see him as the 2nd coming, there are 3 other people that think he is clinically insane. Which is why he ALWAYS gets about 25% of the vote. MOST of us simply don't like him. He is not the victim of a liberal or conservative smear campaign. We don't think his ideas are viable!
For starters, I'm not so much a Ron Paul supporter as much as I am a supporter of politicians who seem to have an ounce of credibility behind what they say, and Paul is the only one in all of these debates who seems to have that. I'm a left leaning person who voted for Obama in 2008, and I'm still not a supporter of many of Paul's ideas. However, he's by far the most honest politician I've ever seen in my lifetime and I respect the hell out of that. He's the only person I see on either side of the aisle right now with any intention of slowing down the deficit and making real changes to our economy and out control spending. Therefore, he's also the only person on the right that will make me reconsider pulling the Obama lever again in November.

Mostly, I'm responding to posters like doctorjeff and, yes, people in the media who write him off as a "nutjob" because he doesn't fall in line with the political establishment that dictates who and what you're supposed to be. You're not paying attention if you think the media doesn't try to paint him as a fringe candidate and ignore him every chance they get. When he started polling first and second in Iowa, yes, then the media started paying attention to Ron Paul. They had to. Good for them. He's also polling second in New Hampshire right now. Not exactly the dismal situation you make it out to be.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:59 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,973,551 times
Not sure how to respond to some of this without getting into territory that doesn't belong - according to the moderator - in the TX forum, but NH Repubs are overall socially liberal/libertarian whilst being small gov't and fiscally coservative. That would account for any RP appeal in NH. Sincerity does not necessaily equate to sanity -- Hitler, Bin Laden, David Koresh?

Old 01-05-2012, 05:33 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
For starters, I'm not so much a Ron Paul supporter as much as I am a supporter of politicians who seem to have an ounce of credibility behind what they say, and Paul is the only one in all of these debates who seems to have that. I'm a left leaning person who voted for Obama in 2008, and I'm still not a supporter of many of Paul's ideas. However, he's by far the most honest politician I've ever seen in my lifetime and I respect the hell out of that. He's the only person I see on either side of the aisle right now with any intention of slowing down the deficit and making real changes to our economy and out control spending. Therefore, he's also the only person on the right that will make me reconsider pulling the Obama lever again in November.

Mostly, I'm responding to posters like doctorjeff and, yes, people in the media who write him off as a "nutjob" because he doesn't fall in line with the political establishment that dictates who and what you're supposed to be. You're not paying attention if you think the media doesn't try to paint him as a fringe candidate and ignore him every chance they get. When he started polling first and second in Iowa, yes, then the media started paying attention to Ron Paul. They had to. Good for them. He's also polling second in New Hampshire right now. Not exactly the dismal situation you make it out to be.
While I understand what you are saying, I just happen to disagree. I don't think Paul stands up for what he preaches, and I don't think he is honest. I find him to be just as hypocritical as any politician out there. For instance he is an unshakeable supporter of the 10th admendment, correct? If you listen to Ron Paul for more than 5 minutes, he is going to drop "states rights" in his speech.

Ron Paul LOVES states rights...unless those states approve gay marriage or abortion. Then all of the sudden Ron Paul forgets all about the principles he stands for and goes crying to the federal government to intervene.

You see, like most conservatives, Ron Paul HATES federal intervention when it comes to welfare or voters rights, but when it comes to stomping qu***s? Then Ron Paul LOVES him some federal intervention. Which is why he voted for the Defense of Marriage act that specifically FORBID the federal government from recognizing same sex marriage, EVEN IF the state (states rights, states rights!!) approved it. So if a state wants to have anti-sodomy laws, Ron Paul supports that, states rights after all. If a state wants to outlaw gay marriage, Ron Paul supports that, states rights after all. If a state wants to ALLOW gay marriages, Ron Paul suppo.....Ron Paul gathers up all his buddies and passes emergency legislation to ensure that the Federal government does everything in it's power to trample state rights and to ensure that a whole group of americans are not entitled to the state and federal benefits that are associated with Marriage.

That's Ron Paul in a nut shell. Just like every other politician, he is principled! Until someone challenges his prejudices, then he flip flops with the best of them.

As far as this "media conspiracy" to not cover Ron Paul until he came in 3rd in Iowa....well DUH! When Romeny and Bachman were in the lead, the media covered Romeny and Bachman. When Romeny and Perry were in the lead, the media covered Romney and Perry. When Romney and Cain were in the lead, the media covered Romney and Cain. When Romney and Gingrich....etc etc etc.

So Ron Paul is actually polling now, so he gets media coverage? Hardly a conspiracy. How much coverage do Gincgrich, Bachmann, Perry and Cain get now? Other than covering their concession speeches or their whining, not much at all! Pretty much the same coverage that Ron Paul got when he was in the single digits. No conspiracy needed.

The media doesn't need to "paint" Ron Paul as a fringe candidate or a nut....he does that all by himself! Ron Paul, he wants you to buy weed and doesn't want you to pay for Israel, he wants a balanced budget and state sovereignty.....oh, and could someone PLEASE do something about all these homos hanging around? Can't we like outlaw them or something?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:46 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,627,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I am a Republican and I call most of them nutty. WHY oh why can't get get a candidate who follows the "Mr. Conservative" Barry Goldwater philosphy where the government has no business in personal lives or religion?

Lake ... I won't label myself a Repub. I will label myself a proud conservative. I am morally, socially, and fiscally conservative. I would vote for a Dem that was close to my values and have on the local and state level. Unfortunately, when they get on the national level the have to bow to the liberal/"progressive" agenda gods. (progressivism is actually the opposite of progress)

I also lament the lack of a true conservative. It is a shame but our whole society is slipping to the left ... both major parties but the Repubs are just slower getting there. Luckily Texas lags behind most of the nation on this!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:21 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I do think that the national spotlight has exposed Perry's numerous flaws far more then they ever were when he was simply running for Governor. Many more Texans now realize how unqualified and incompetent he is. I doubt he has much future left in Texas politics after this.
Do you really think so? Perry has been unpopular for a long time, and he still has not problem winning re-election time and time again.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:40 PM

6,686 posts, read 9,934,267 times
Rick, just quit already! You are NOT going to become president.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:45 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,326 times
Lord wake up Texas voters, amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas