U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2012, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 2,469 times
Default Information on Caldwell,Texas

My husband and I are putting in a transfer to relocate to Caldwell,Texas. My husband works for halliburton and I was wondering if anyone had any info on the area and where to live etc.
We currently reside in Wyoming and we are eager to move to Texas to escape the wind and cold. I am from south Texas so I'm not familiar with the area of Caldwell, Bryan, and College Station. Any info would be much appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 04:40 PM

8,567 posts, read 4,529,852 times
I've driven thru there several dozens of times though it's been a while. Otherwise, I don't know much about the place. I did look up a couple of links for you...

http://www.city-data.com/city/Caldwell-Texas.html

CALDWELL, TX | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)

Search - TravelTex.com

City of Caldwell

bctribune.com - Burleson County Citizen Tribune

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

As best I recall, it's a bit of rolling prairie, water flows south and east towards the Brazos River, the longest river in Texas. Very countryside.

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 06:14 AM..

Old 01-04-2012, 06:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,469 times
Thank so much! This info is very useful. Much appreciated!

Old 01-05-2012, 01:39 PM

14,070 posts, read 18,442,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorl1029 View Post
My husband and I are putting in a transfer to relocate to Caldwell,Texas. My husband works for halliburton and I was wondering if anyone had any info on the area and where to live etc.
We currently reside in Wyoming and we are eager to move to Texas to escape the wind and cold. I am from south Texas so I'm not familiar with the area of Caldwell, Bryan, and College Station. Any info would be much appreciated!
Hello, Welcome to Texas. I grew up in Wyoming so I'd like to help, but I have only driven through Caldwell a few times. It is pretty rural, but towns are closer together then in much of Wyoming. It is nice rural farming/ranching country, very green compared to Wyoming even though we are currently in a drought.

It is only 24 miles from Bryan/College Station, which is home to Texas A&M University, you will probably be going there a lot for shopping. There are lots of rentals there because of all of the college kids, but you may not want to live around them. It is only 64 miles from Austin which will be handy for entertainment and shopping at larger stores.

Winters are going to be really mild and you will rarely ever see snow or ice. Best wishes with your relocation.

FYI, property taxes are pretty high in Texas but there is no state income tax. Property taxes go to fund the city, schools and county. None of it goes to the state. The state brags about no having an income tax but charges lots of fees and licenses to get its income.

There is not as much public land in Texas as there is in Wyoming, but Tx does have lots of nice state and county parks, with better facilities, such as showers, which are rare in Wyoming.

Edit: I just noticed you were from S. Tx so I probably told you a few things you already know.

Last edited by CptnRn; 01-05-2012 at 02:32 PM..

Old 01-06-2012, 09:05 AM

11,925 posts, read 11,392,760 times
The only thing I can add is that Caldwell police seem to patrol Hwy 21 thoroughly! I have driven through Caldwell many times on my way to College Station. I don't know anyone that has lived there, but the city's own description on their website seems fair enough.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:30 PM

79 posts, read 87,680 times
If you drive a Commercial Vehicle pay close attention to the Traffic Light at the intersection of Route 36 and 21. The only citation that I have ever gotten was at this intersection, I was loaded heavy and was the first Truck in line at the light before I could get through the intersection it turned red. Citation for "Failure to obey Traffic Control Device" is a second degree Misdemeanor in the State of Texas. I fought the Citation with the help of a Legal Defense Service and had it reduced to a non moving violation but it cost me about 2600 bucks altogether. But on a side note the People there are awesome I went back out there for the Hearing with the Magistrate and everyone that I dealt with including the Motorcycle Cop who wrote the Citation were wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas