Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 11:18 AM

509 posts, read 1,544,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Clearly, you are not the price-sensitive consumer that I am
I second that! I do almost all of my grocery shopping at TJ's and with a cart full of organic produce, dairy items and meats my bill has never been over $200. There's no way I could get out of Whole Foods with the same products for the same price. Over the course of a year, that difference really adds up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 11:51 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
Trader Joe's has less selection than big grocery stores, but this is on purpose. They carry a few brands that people grow to trust. So rather than carrying 50 varieties of peanut butter, they carry just a few. They sell more of each, rather than spreading sales out over the larger number, so they can get volume discounts. So the smaller selection pays off with lower prices. If you don't like what they have to offer, then this model doesn't work for you. But if you do like their products, you save a lot of money, and get products you enjoy. I think most TJ's devotees also shop in other places because TJ's just doesn't have everything you may need. But who cares, if you love what you do get from there? For example, TJ's has always been weak when it comes to produce. They are getting better, but who wouldn't prefer a farmer's market? I used to buy bananas there, but not really much other produce.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:34 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Who needs Trader Joe's when you've got Central Market and Whole Foods!
Because Central Market and Whole Foods cost a fortune.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:36 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Oh well, then I guess you'll just have to shop at Randall's.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:45 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
We have the cheap version in Dallas - ALDI - hoping that is a harbinger of TJ's...

Old 08-27-2010, 03:29 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
We have the cheap version in Dallas - ALDI - hoping that is a harbinger of TJ's...
Alas, I wouldn't hold my breath!

Alas AND alack regarding their eschewing an appearance in Austin! Oh, well...we'll make do.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:23 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
I've shopped at TJ's recently in SF and NY over the summer...and I can say that the assortment is nothing special. I could see going there for the coffee (pretty good) and the nuts, but the rest is nothing compared to WF, or even CM. Acronyms! It's just 'meh' in my book!

Old 08-28-2010, 09:37 PM

385 posts, read 1,248,079 times
It is the price that sets it apart! I was there just recently during a family vacation and I found the same goats cheese I've been buying here in Austin for $2 cheaper! It was that way across the board. I love Central Market but cannot afford it. I'm on a tight budget and TJ's let's me still feel a little indulgent. I'm not going to whine about it though. I've found Sprouts and Sun Harvest to have fabulous produce at rock bottom prices so that makes me happy

Old 08-28-2010, 10:06 PM

515 posts, read 1,396,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I've shopped at TJ's recently in SF and NY over the summer...and I can say that the assortment is nothing special. I could see going there for the coffee (pretty good) and the nuts, but the rest is nothing compared to WF, or even CM. Acronyms! It's just 'meh' in my book!
I don't think anyone who loves Tj's is trying to compare it to WF or CM as they are a very different type of supermarket. What we love about TJ's is the price based on the quality of food. I have yet to find any market that compares to them in price. I could get twice as much food at TJ's compared to what I spend at other markets. Even their organic food (and they offer a large variety) is less than other markets. I have shopped at Sprouts and didn't really care for it. Sun Harvest was pretty good, but again you just can't beat TJ's prices for the type of food they sell.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:21 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eichlerfan View Post
I don't think anyone who loves Tj's is trying to compare it to WF or CM as they are a very different type of supermarket. What we love about TJ's is the price based on the quality of food. I have yet to find any market that compares to them in price. I could get twice as much food at TJ's compared to what I spend at other markets. Even their organic food (and they offer a large variety) is less than other markets. I have shopped at Sprouts and didn't really care for it. Sun Harvest was pretty good, but again you just can't beat TJ's prices for the type of food they sell.
Maybe I didn't shop the right things, but the things I did see where comparable in price- I don't buy 'convenience' foods except Annie's Mac n Cheese- cheaper at HEB, Kashi frozen foods- cheaper at HEB. Sprouts sells a lot of low carb bread stuff I can't find anywhere else. The produce at HEB and Sun Harvest are terrible. I gladly pay more at WF (and sometimes CM) or even Randalls for produce that lasts longer. The TJ's in San Francisco I went to had a horrible meat counter- it was small and very limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas