Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:21 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,927,318 times

Advertisements

Maybe if the OP wasn't so obsessed with Texas that she is always posted wildly innacurate posts about Texas and its cities he wouldn't hear back about Texas.

Most of the time the OP hears about Texas was after she made a wildly incorrect statement about Texas.

OP you know less than little about Texas, so stop making silly comments about Texas and you will hear less about it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 07:52 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,400,197 times
I dont consider myself defensive about Texas but have been known to challenge assumptions about Texas from those not too familiar with it. Its not perfect but where on earth is.. Texas isnt for everyone so those who run it down probably arent cut out for living here.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:58 AM

275 posts, read 416,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
People in the Northeast and West-coast have similar views of themselves. You know how many transplanted Northerners there are in Florida/NC/GA etc, that SWEAR everything back North is sooooo much better than down here? And in turn they think that Southerners are overly prideful about being Southerners. It's really one big Pot meet Kettle ya know. The fact that the South and Texas get mocked so much(especially in the last decade with Bush) that it's pretty clear that people from up those areas have a scatterbrained view of people from these parts. Their mockery kinda show's their own pretension and their pretension shines through with each state they decide to move to in the Sun Belt.

PSA 'And Now You Know' - "New Yorkers" - YouTube

TITLETOWN (Boston Sports Fan Anthem - The SSP) - YouTube
The Bush family transplanted to Texas from the Northeast. George W. Bush was born in Connecticut. So, the Bushes do NOT have deep roots in Texas. They love Texas, so (politics aside), most Texans don't mind if they "claim" Texas their home state.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:45 PM

3,995 posts, read 5,012,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I dont consider myself defensive about Texas but have been known to challenge assumptions about Texas from those not too familiar with it. Its not perfect but where on earth is.. Texas isnt for everyone so those who run it down probably arent cut out for living here.
I completely agree. I've lived here for 30 years or so...I consider myself a Texan. I've found for many years that wherever I go, people seem to be terribly interested...not always positive, however. I don't go around waving a banner about how proud I am, but I get more than a little irritated when folks assume we're redneck idiots. First, what's wrong with a redneck? And two, just b/c someone has an accent, does not make them an idiot. I have family members from the PNW who have this idea and it's unnerving. I don't go around in Seattle saying they're a bunch of granola-eating, pretentious snobs, do I? No, I don't, even if one or two people I've met are. All these generalizations get people into trouble... no matter what state they're from!!

Old 02-06-2012, 03:49 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,094 times
Well...we are super prideful, yes. I think most folks are really that way about their home state.

Much of it revolves around history.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:44 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,400,197 times
One huge reason we are defensive in Texas is simple...Defense wins championships....go Texans

Old 02-09-2012, 06:48 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,459 times
This thread starts with a pretty loaded question. First off, I not a native Texan. Meaning, I was not born in the state of Texas. I have lived in Texas off and on for the last 15 years. In my experience, Texan's are no more defensive of their state than anyone else. It is pretty much simple human nature to take offense at perceived insults of something a person is a member of from people outside that membership. For example, if you were a lawyer and someone made a blanket statement that all lawyers are ambulance chasing, deceitful, profit hungry charlatans, you may be offended. Same thing with Texas or any other state for that matter.

Texans are understandably proud of their state. It has a unique history much different from that of the rest of the U.S. It is a large state, with geographically distinct regions. There are many different cultures in Texas. I don't think Texans are any more defensive of their state than anyone else in the U.S.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times
My guess is the Op is not different than anyone else. If people started to trash Australia, I'm sure this person would have a similar reaction. My family in Wisconsin is the same about their home state, and New Yorkers about their city.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:32 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativetexasgal View Post
The Bush family transplanted to Texas from the Northeast. George W. Bush was born in Connecticut. So, the Bushes do NOT have deep roots in Texas. They love Texas, so (politics aside), most Texans don't mind if they "claim" Texas their home state.
Ditto, People like George W. Bush are what I call Honorary Texans (Politics aside). The guy can live any where in the world but he chooses to reside in Texas because he actually loves the state.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:37 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,867,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Ditto, People like George W. Bush are what I call Honorary Texans (Politics aside). The guy can live any where in the world but he chooses to reside in Texas because he actually loves the state.
.....and he gets to escape the Texas summer heat in Kennebunkport...

Yet to me, he has always been part of the east coast elite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas