U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 AM

4,843 posts, read 4,916,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It seems Texans are the most defensive bunch of people when talking about their state. If anyone says anything bad about Texas or a city in Texas, they immediately start getting angry that someone might not find Texas the paradise they do. Is it because Texas is sort overrated? I know it gets unfairly stereotyped as being redneck and stuff, but do most people really dislike Texas that much? Texan cities, even Austin, are nothing special, yet some posters violently disagree if you say New York has more culture than Houston or Dallas. Some of them think that you never even need to leave Texas. They will argue that Houston is as urban as NY, or that the Guadalupe Mountains beat the Rockies. Keep in mind I'm talking about a vocal component, not all Texans.
Living in Texas for 5 years I can definitely see how Texans could get defensive about their state. There are very unfair and false stereotypes spread about Texas that aren't true. Texas is one of the best states I've ever lived in. And trying to compare it with New York or somewhere is ridiculous to me because it's apples and oranges. Not every city is made to be like freakin' New York City. It's a total different quality of life.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 11:35 AM

12,275 posts, read 12,770,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
We traveled quite a bit of Texas during our two years of travel, and I have to agree with them: "Don't Mess with Texas." It really isn't worth it.
This was a state wide ad campaign ran back in the early 90's & just recently revived as a way to remind us fellow Texans not to litter it could get you a hefty fine or even jail time & guess what, it worked!!!

It wasn't until people outside of Texas took it out of context, just like "Keep Austin Weird", which was originally intended to remind people in Austin to support local businesses. Nowadays people use it in other ways to make it seem like Austin is this really strange place where anything goes when in fact that is only about half correct.

The more you know...

Old 01-18-2012, 11:35 AM

2,561 posts, read 1,982,062 times
Texans are no more defensive than any other city data nerds.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:12 PM

8,705 posts, read 6,576,972 times
I do get the impression that Texans are viewed as more prideful of their state than others. In fact, I'd say that's one of the best known Texas stereotypes, whether accurate or not. My only experience with Texas was when I had to change planes once in Houston, and I didn't have time to leave the airport. The few Texans I encountered there (assuming some of them were natives) didn't seem much different from Tennesseans. Maybe slightly nicer, actually.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 PM

10,013 posts, read 10,123,492 times
OP, whats your deal with Texas and the South? Your post is riddled with stereotypes.

Pride is a product of everywhere. Living in Southern California for so many years, I can tell you there is certainly a lot of it there too. Artist who grow up there grow up and write songs about it, a lot of people there also think its the only place worth living, etc. Same with New York, Florida, Chicago, the Northwest, etc. Texas, like Calfornia are truly great places to live. So are many other places in the US. Its not a bad thing to be proud of where youre from. Its a bad thing when you start trashing where someone else is from (like you did with your OP).

Youre blind if you think Texas is alone with this.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:29 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,242,420 times
I think people from California, New York, and Texas have a tendency to boast about their home a bit more than others (especially in here). Everybody has their own idea of what is ideal. Nobody is really right or wrong. I love Texas. People from other places should love where they are too. I've seen a lot of other lands, but Texas just feels right... to me.

No excuses here.

I rather like the outrageous stereotypes others have about Texas. They make most of us actually in Texas laugh - plus it keeps them away.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:39 PM

3,984 posts, read 3,662,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It seems Texans are the most defensive bunch of people when talking about their state. If anyone says anything bad about Texas or a city in Texas, they immediately start getting angry that someone might not find Texas the paradise they do. Is it because Texas is sort overrated? I know it gets unfairly stereotyped as being redneck and stuff, but do most people really dislike Texas that much? Texan cities, even Austin, are nothing special, yet some posters violently disagree if you say New York has more culture than Houston or Dallas. Some of them think that you never even need to leave Texas. They will argue that Houston is as urban as NY, or that the Guadalupe Mountains beat the Rockies. Keep in mind I'm talking about a vocal component, not all Texans.
There's your problem, you assume there is more than one state, this is a myth, there is only Texas and the rest are Texas colonies

Old 01-18-2012, 02:03 PM

172 posts, read 145,210 times
I dunno, maybe lt's just me, but the born-and-bred Texans that I've met were friendly, amenable folks who were not shy or defensive or overproud, and this is coming from someone who's lived or worked in Puerto Rico, New York City, the ABC islands (Netherland Antilles), the Dominican Republic, the USVI and the state of Georgia. The first was a 6 foot-4 inch veterinarian expat from Fort Worth who much preferred to talk about new party dives, restaurants and outdoor places to visit than to talk about Texas. The second one I met in a steak house in Arlington, when he came to our table to compliment us on our kids' manners. Ditto for my daughter, who has been living in the DFW area for the last 6 years, and who has been befriended/adopted by her born-and-bred senior coworkers, who only want to ask her about Puerto Rico every chance they get to talk, so i guess not everybody's experience has been the same.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:32 PM

12,280 posts, read 12,000,032 times
These threads are a gross exagerration and just dumb. It is no different than New Yorkers that say you can't get good pizza anywhere else. Or Californians that think they have great weather (they don't actually have weather). Blah blah blah blah.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:40 PM

1,496 posts, read 710,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
These threads are a gross exagerration and just dumb. It is no different than New Yorkers that say you can't get good pizza anywhere else. Or Californians that think they have great weather (they don't actually have weather). Blah blah blah blah.
California, actually, probably has more varied weather patterns than Texas does....and the pizza I had in New York was pretty damn tasty, but I feel ya on getting defensive, because nobody likes folks, to talk ill, of something they love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas