Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:08 AM

14,459 posts, read 11,198,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It's just a slogan, kinda like San Diego's title as "America's finest city". NYC: "City so nice, they named it twice". People look into Don't Mess With Texas and get so offended. I used to when I lived there, I used to hate that slogan and though that it made Texans overly prideful, but the more I hated it(and the more I hated Texas pride) the more I looked like the pretentious transplant.
It made them look like they wanted to fight someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 08:18 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,827,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It was an anti-littering campaign. It wasn't "Texas is so bad, our dad can beat up your dad." It was "Please stop throwing your trash on the road."

Remember, the dont' mess with texas campaign was aimed at OTHER texans. It played in OUR state. It wasn't meant for the rest of America, it was meant for Texans, so I don't see how it could boastful at all.

If you drive into Texas from any other state there is a big sign on every highway that says "WELCOME to TEXAS". I dont know how we could possibly be more friendly.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:30 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,397,494 times
Quote:
Funny thing when I moved away from Texas I bought a Don't Mess with Texas T-shirt. I like to wear it here in California where they despise Texas and have the most unbelievable stereotypes about Texas that I have ever heard.

I like the slogan since it raised awareness about not throwing your trash out the car window!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Mess_with_Texas

Old 01-19-2012, 08:36 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
It was an anti-littering campaign. It wasn't "Texas is so bad, our dad can beat up your dad." It was "Please stop throwing your trash on the road."

Remember, the dont' mess with texas campaign was aimed at OTHER texans. It played in OUR state. It wasn't meant for the rest of America, it was meant for Texans, so I don't see how it could boastful at all.

If you drive into Texas from any other state there is a big sign on every highway that says "WELCOME to TEXAS". I dont know how we could possibly be more friendly.
This. It was (and is) not just an anti-littering campaign, it's an award-winning anti-littering campaign.

As someone said earlier, it's not the Texans who made it into something else. It's people from outside of Texas who project their own stereotypes onto Texas who did that, all on their own. Texans KNOW what it means and always have.

I do wonder about a couple of things.

One, as said, all the people on C-D who are not from here, many of whom who have never been here, who come into the Texas forum specifically for the purpose of badmouthing the state and spreading ignorant stereotypes.

Two, people who lived here, who have moved on because it didn't suit them for one reason or another (which is entirely reasonable, no place is perfect, or even good, for every person on the planet and you should absolutely live someplace you're happy if at all possible), who come back to the Texas forums for the specific purpose of badmouthing Texas rather than living happy lives where they are and talking about that on that state's forums.

My thought usually tends to be "Don't you have a life somewhere where you're happy? What hole in yourself are you trying to fill with this obsessive behavior?" That has nothing to do with Texas pride (which I do have) and everything to do with puzzlement at human motivations.

So, those of you who do this, what exactly are you getting out of it? And do people do this in other state forums? I don't hang out in the forums of other states, having no reason to do so, so I don't know if this is Texas-specific or if it's just that some people feel compelled to run down other states, which is an interesting psychological problem in and of itself.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,778,756 times
Great post--rep points for you, THL..

Old 01-19-2012, 09:20 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,226,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
This reminds me of one such actor who is such a boor about Texas/Texans. He is always trolling these pages slinging his bags full of horse manure.

I fully agree about those from other areas spending much time here in the Texas forums. It seems some have unnatural fixations.

Oh, I am quite Texas proud ... I have no specific reasoning other than maybe it is genetic. I am not rude about it to others though.
Yes sir, I'm actually starting to feel some pride in the fact that so many people who feel compelled to start these threads.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I guess city data doesn't always reflect reality.
The biggest misconception people have is that CD is somehow reality. It isnt.

It isnt even close.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:52 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,190,542 times
Quote:
People in Texas are known for not taking a lot of flack. A verbal altercation here will likely end in somebody's eye being dotted, but if people are friendly Texans are as nice as anybody anywhere.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:31 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Funny thing when I moved away from Texas I bought a Don't Mess with Texas T-shirt. I like to wear it here in California where they despise Texas and have the most unbelievable stereotypes about Texas that I have ever heard.

I like the slogan since it raised awareness about not throwing your trash out the car window!

Don't Mess with Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I find both annoying. Excessive pride about Texas and ignorant stereotypes.

I have a psychedelic-coloured 'Keep Austin Weird T-shirt' which always gets comments.

I don't hate Texas I guess I didn't get a chance to see it properly. I suppose the few days I spent there I didn't see anything too special about it.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:09 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,190,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't hate Texas I guess I didn't get a chance to see it properly. I suppose the few days I spent there I didn't see anything too special about it.
It takes a long time to see a state that is 1000 miles across. Parts of Texas are anything but special. Parts are great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas