Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 03:52 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It seems Texans are the most defensive bunch of people when talking about their state. If anyone says anything bad about Texas or a city in Texas, .
Um, I am pretty mild-mannered.

But it seems like no matter where I go (in this country - have not experienced this at all out of the country), I only have to say I am from Texas and someone starts talking sh**. Even in the middle of Times Square, a stranger started shouting crap at us. It was amazing. I am not kidding. Some guy was handing out fliers, asked us where we were from, and then started shouting obscenities.

This has happened COUNTLESS TIMES.

So maybe people are defensive bc sad little, shallow, uneducated, uninformed idiot people are always talking sh** for no reason whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 05:54 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,948,982 times
This reminds me of a family I knew in childhood who were living in Dallas (had formerly been military, so living all over the place) and had travelled to DC or somewhere. A woman in a completely casual encounter asked them where they were from and when they said "Dallas", she started cursing "the city that killed Kennedy". Obviously there are people out there who are both wantonly rude and judgementally impaired. However, in contrast, my partner and I know loads of people here in Delaware who, in the context of more substantial conversations and interactions, show no untoward reactions when we talk about our background in Texas. Since we are largely talking about Austin, which has a very positive reputation nationwide, they are mostly very interested and positive in what they have to say. We do obviously make critical statements ourselves about aspects of Texas, chiefly the politics and politicians, so that probably tends to let our friends here know that we aren't uncritically singing the praises of Texas. I've also found that people have very good things to say about San Antonio or express interest in visiting there. I would think that amongst a certain age demographic all over the country, Austin is viewed as a favoured destination to visit or an aspirational place to possibly live, while San Antonio has a very wide representation as a place of interest among persons of all age (the Air Force base and the large number of recruits who do basic training there clearly accounts for the knowledge or exposure that a lot of people have of San Antonio). Anyway, this is an example of the fact that I think it very much depends on the situation what sort of attitude you get.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,657,815 times
Texas has its good points, but dies a little every year. Just ask any resident who has been here over 20 years, it isnt what it used to be

Old 01-23-2012, 08:24 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,948,982 times
Well, look, I truly don't think that's valid. The place in Texas to which I have the longest and strongest connection is Austin, where I lived off and on since 1973 and contiually from '85 through much of '04. The city and surrounding Hill Country went through a lot of changes, especially during the years we were gone between 1976 and 1985, but it's still Austin and it's still Texas, both for good and bad. Everything changes over time. Here in Delaware the natives in the southern portion of the state complain about the waning of the old local customs, the development of farmland into residential subdivisions, and so forth. This goes on everywhere. Yet, overall I don't think the country is really becoming more homogenized culturally or attitudinally. The homogenization of American society has really only occurred IMO at the superficial level of appearances - same chain stores, national banks, restaurant chains and the like. It's a bit like Brits seeing their country (or more properly, countries) becoming increasingly Americanized, but having lived in England I can say that's a silly complaint - it's only in superficial things, and there are such differences in basic attitudes in many ways that the distinctiveness of English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish cultures isn't going away at all. The homogenizaiton of the developed world is really just on the level of commercial enterprise IMO.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:30 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,787,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertrepuR View Post
I really wish I knew the answer to this, but I find it interesting.

If you've ever watched the show on the history channel "How The States Got Their Shapes", the episode that was talking about Texas mentioned (and proved) that Texans have the most pride when it comes to their state. I think they explained why, but I honestly don't remember. I saw it a while ago.

Edit: I think the show said that a lot of it had to do with the fact that they were once an independent country. How that could make them feel "inferior" to every other state doesn't make sense to me, but whatever.

(I have nothing against Texas or people from Texas, and I'm not saying they do feel inferior)
You edit doesn't make sense. Did you mean to write superior?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,128,665 times
Ann Richards was a hoot. I will never forget her saying that George W was "born with a silver foot in his mouth".

Old 01-24-2012, 05:52 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,840,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Ann Richards was a hoot. I will never forget her saying that George W was "born with a silver foot in his mouth".
She said it about George Senior. Although I am sure she has some choice words for George Jr too, but only her friends got to hear those I guess.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:04 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Um, I am pretty mild-mannered.

But it seems like no matter where I go (in this country - have not experienced this at all out of the country), I only have to say I am from Texas and someone starts talking sh**. Even in the middle of Times Square, a stranger started shouting crap at us. It was amazing. I am not kidding. Some guy was handing out fliers, asked us where we were from, and then started shouting obscenities.

This has happened COUNTLESS TIMES.

So maybe people are defensive bc sad little, shallow, uneducated, uninformed idiot people are always talking sh** for no reason whatsoever.
Really, I can understand how it could make you like that. Ignorance about Texas is just as bad imo.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,244,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It seems Texans are the most defensive bunch of people when talking about their state. If anyone says anything bad about Texas or a city in Texas, they immediately start getting angry that someone might not find Texas the paradise they do. Is it because Texas is sort overrated? I know it gets unfairly stereotyped as being redneck and stuff, but do most people really dislike Texas that much? Texan cities, even Austin, are nothing special, yet some posters violently disagree if you say New York has more culture than Houston or Dallas. Some of them think that you never even need to leave Texas. They will argue that Houston is as urban as NY, or that the Guadalupe Mountains beat the Rockies. Keep in mind I'm talking about a vocal component, not all Texans.
If you find Texans defensive, maybe you should ask why your state/country is so apathetic about itself. You must have developed this point of reference from somewhere.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,992,384 times
OP - You shouldn't generalize that all Texans are defensive about the state. There are many residents who have a very low opinion of it, and will agree with numerous criticisms about it.

Trying to say we all act and think alike is ridiculous, and weakens your statements and the points you are trying to get across...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas