U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-19-2012, 10:44 AM

109 posts, read 72,545 times
Default Hill Country teaching, living, raising family

Hi,
Family is considering moving to the Hill Country from Oregon. We are in the beginning steps to make this work, but I am looking for opinions, advise, etc... Looking for a school dist. (elem. teacher) to teach in that has openings in the next year or two, and a nice town to live in, to raise a 2 year old and one on the way. We are open from San Antonio to Austin out to Junction. We are not to picky, but think the Hill Co. is the best fit for us coming from Oregon ( hills and green ). We would like to buy approx 2-5 acres and in a medium size town of approx. 10-60k people. Commuting for a few miles (5-30) is not a problem either..
Any school dist. stick out as being "better" than the others?? Any new schools being built or turnover in the teaching profession in that area??
I know my question is quite vague, but looking for a Texans opinion on that area of the above questions.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-19-2012, 11:03 AM

169 posts, read 182,008 times
Junction is kinda cool, but not all that nice. Check out Boerne, Fredricksburg, Kerrville, Marble Falls, Bastrop...to name a few. All very good schools, cheap real estate, and main street-style communities.

Unread 01-19-2012, 11:24 AM

I have been looking at Kerrville and Boerne the most, but was not sure about schools, etc... Thanks for the response!

Unread 01-19-2012, 11:26 AM

169 posts, read 182,008 times
I grew up in Boerne. Both districts are as good as any in the state. Couple of the best in the SA area by far. not sure where you may have heard questionable info on them...

Unread 01-19-2012, 12:23 PM

11,127 posts, read 10,363,230 times
What is your housing budget?

Boerne is indeed a fine school district and in the hill country outside San Antonio. I think they are growing because population is moving that way. The recently opened a second high school.

You might also consider the Lake Travis area outside of Austin. Beautiful area, very good schools, and it is growing. A new middle school, elementary, and expanded high school are coming.

Unread 01-19-2012, 12:36 PM

Obviously we would be renting at first to get settled, but we are in the 100-220k range for housing... Out here on the west coast that does not get you much (at least in my region)... We are open to fixer upper w/ property for the right fit...
m48, Never heard bad things about Boerne school dist, just unaware of positive or negative. When you get the Chamber of Commerce stuff, there is not a lot about schools in them..
hoffdano, what town is the new schools being built???
Thanks folks!

Unread 01-19-2012, 03:35 PM

6,095 posts, read 9,050,539 times
Uh, real estate in Fredericksburg and most of the "touristy" parts of the Hill Country (Boerne, Fredericksburg, etc.) is NOT cheap!! At $100-220, you are most likely going to have to do a mobile/manufactured home. Not much else will be in your price range...

Unread 01-19-2012, 03:55 PM

11,127 posts, read 10,363,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibusurfer View Post
Obviously we would be renting at first to get settled, but we are in the 100-220k range for housing... Out here on the west coast that does not get you much (at least in my region)... We are open to fixer upper w/ property for the right fit...
m48, Never heard bad things about Boerne school dist, just unaware of positive or negative. When you get the Chamber of Commerce stuff, there is not a lot about schools in them..
hoffdano, what town is the new schools being built???
Thanks folks!
Some of Lake Travis ISD is within Austin's city limits. Some of LTISD is in the cities of Briarcliff and Spicewood.

You will have a hard time finding a home in the Austin portions of LTISD for $220K, and none will have acreage like you want. There may be a few in the western end of the school district (Briarcliff and Spicewood).

I'm not up to speed on Boerne housing. But I believe Boerne is upper-middle and up housing. I'd be surprised if there is much below $300K. But I admit to never looking. San Antonio homes are generally less expensive than Austin.

Unread 01-19-2012, 04:04 PM

694 posts, read 786,419 times
Boerne ISD is a great district. Wouldn't be impossible to fit your budget, but might be a bit of a challenge, although if you were to live in town I think there are neighborhoods that would work.

When the second HS was built growth was toward this area, but it has slowed down a lot since the recession. The anticipated growth in population hasn't manifested quite like they thought.

Teaching - has been hit hard in most of Texas due to budget cuts. Hard to get on board at an ISD here, start early and consider subbing first. - Especially in a smaller town/district, hard to get a foot in the door.

Boerne IS NOT GREEN. Hills, yes, green NO. We are in the midst of a multi-year drought and although it has rained some this winter we have a long way to go. Think edge of desert terrain and you are closer to what it is like - scrub brush, mesquite and cedar trees, rocky....

Unread 01-19-2012, 04:19 PM

927 posts, read 1,350,986 times
Bee Caves and Lakeway are a part of Austin now, expensive real estate to say the least. Boerne is being swallowed up by San Antonio, but you can find nice, inexpensive housing north of the town itself and still be within the school district. There are no great school districts in the Hill Country, but Kerville, nice but also expensive, has a good High School (Kerville Tivy). Fredricksburg is expensive with a decent high school.

Everything else in the Hill Country is still very country-- the way we want to keep it. Look at Blanco, Llano, Marble Falls, Burnet, west of the Austin area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas