Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city in Texas has the best scenery?
Austin 30 39.47%
San Antonio 8 10.53%
San Marcos 4 5.26%
Dallas 3 3.95%
Houston 8 10.53%
Corpus Christi 1 1.32%
Amarillo 2 2.63%
El Paso 7 9.21%
Tyler 8 10.53%
South Padre 5 6.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 05:36 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Austin/Central Texas is highly over rated IMO.
Not to mention overpriced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
The best scenery in Texas is NOT in cities.
Exactly.

The best scenery in Texas is:

sunset over the rim of Palo Duro Canyon, on the High Plains, or in the desert of Far West Texas

sunrise over the Gulf looking out from Mustang Island

bluebonnets blooming in March on the roadways in the Hill Country, especially on the Willow City Loop

the view from the top of Enchanted Rock

the stars in the sky on a clear night, anywhere in the country away from the city lights

Old 06-08-2015, 11:58 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Austin gets a lot of hype, mostly deserved but I keep hearing that San Antonio has just as nice scenery with even better surrounding lakes. The city is cheaper and less crowded in the outskirts too.

Is that true?

Old 06-08-2015, 12:40 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Austin gets a lot of hype, mostly deserved but I keep hearing that San Antonio has just as nice scenery with even better surrounding lakes. The city is cheaper and less crowded in the outskirts too.

Is that true?
The scenery is also pretty in the Alamo City.Austin has better lakes though.The only lake I know of that would compare to a Highland Lake in Greater San Antone is Canyon Lake.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:28 PM

I'm looking to move back eventually after I gather considerable education and work experience here in LA. I love it here but eventually all the scenery in the world can't change the fact that you want your earnings to actually get you something nice.

My goal is lake house, nothing super fancy, near Marble Falls or on the outskirts of San Antonio. San Marcos? Basically what can a 150-200k family get in central Texas?

I'll never forget visiting Marble Falls and seeing the homes on the hills overlooking a gorgeous blue lake. I said this is what I want and I'll do what it takes.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:

Is that true?
Yes, it is.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:44 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,323 times
I have to agree that the best scenery in Texas is not near any major city. How about Big Bend NP as well as Guadalupe Mountains N.P.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:48 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,323 times
Quote:

Is that true?
Yes it's true that San Antonio has the same amount of scenery that Austin has. While the hill country borders the Austin skyline. In San Antonio you have to drive a little further to reach the hill country.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I have to agree that the best scenery in Texas is not near any major city. How about Big Bend NP as well as Guadalupe Mountains N.P.
True. Texas cities were designed to be really practical and not aesthetically pleasing. That's why they look kinda plain and visitors complain that they're ugly. Most other cities around the world attempt to create an aesthetic charm to the city to attract tourists. Cities like Houston, Dallas and Austin are only now starting to invest in creating a more eye appealing cities by inserting some planning.

So of course the emphasis on the beauty of the state is in the country side. But that might change. Houston has more park space than NYC and LA, so it can develop the public spaces into works of art.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:35 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
True. Texas cities were designed to be really practical and not aesthetically pleasing. That's why they look kinda plain and visitors complain that they're ugly. Most other cities around the world attempt to create an aesthetic charm to the city to attract tourists. Cities like Houston, Dallas and Austin are only now starting to invest in creating a more eye appealing cities by inserting some planning.

So of course the emphasis on the beauty of the state is in the country side. But that might change. Houston has more park space than NYC and LA, so it can develop the public spaces into works of art.
Truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas