U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:57 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,838,137 times
McKinney is north of Dallas, not east, and what difference would a river several hundred miles away make in any case? Being slightly farther from the Gulf, one would think it would have less precipitation than Dallas. There must be some microclimatic reason, or else the data is just wrong (I tend to think the latter is correct).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 03:50 PM

815 posts, read 958,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
McKinney is north of Dallas, not east, and what difference would a river several hundred miles away make in any case? Being slightly farther from the Gulf, one would think it would have less precipitation than Dallas. There must be some microclimatic reason, or else the data is just wrong (I tend to think the latter is correct).
I just had to point out the river. If you look at the map, if you're in the south and close to the river, you will get more precipitation.

I guess data could be wrong but remember, some places 15 miles away will get more rain than others. You don't get isolated storms every time.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:38 PM

179 posts, read 150,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Last week's 4-plus inches of rain pulled the Dallas-Fort Worth region out of drought for the first time since July, according to the U.S. Drought Monitor released Thursday.
And there's good chance for up to another inch of rain starting tonight and continuing through Friday night, according to the National Weather Service in Fort Worth.
A swatch of North Texas, or just less than 5 percent of the state, is now drought free. Nearly 60 percent of Texas is still mired in extreme drought while 27 percent remains stuck in an exceptional drought, the highest category.
Three months ago, 65 percent of the state was in the exceptional stage.
The downpour last Tuesday into Thursday dropped 4.26 inches at DFW Airport, making it the area's biggest rainmaker since Tropical Storm Hermine spilled 6.25 inches on Sept. 7-9, 2010, according to the National Weather Service in Fort Worth.
The 4.26 inches pushed the airport station to 6.76 inches in January, about five inches above normal.
The ensuing runoff raised the Tarrant Regional Water District's reservoirs to 82 percent capacity, a sizable surge from the 67 percent recorded in November.
Read more here: Dallas-Fort Worth emerges from drought | Local News | News from Fort Worth, Dallas, Arli...

Keep those prayers of rainfall coming! They are working!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:29 PM

908 posts, read 641,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Texarkana gets more rain than Dallas.

So does Paris, TX and Tulsa, OK.

Those are just three, if I really felt like it, I could research and list more

Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,838,137 times
Yes, but those towns are much farther away from Dallas than McKinney is. The point I was trying to make is that it is odd that two locations only 40 miles or so apart could have such a large disparity in annual rainfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas