U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:48 PM

3,494 posts, read 9,514,595 times
i work with a few folks on post who live there and like it very much. i have only driven there for a few errands and i just like the landscape of Copperas Cove much better (and Kempner and Lampasas)..just pretty rolling hills and roads....something you lose once you are in Killeen/Harker Heights area (from what i have seen)..oh and everyone says the commute to post is horrible from the Cove...i dont go in at the same time as everyone going in to PT but i have driven to work for 7am, 8am and 9am start times and it has only taken my 20 minutes, and i live almost in Lampasas County. i drive in through the west gate of Ft Hood which leads ya right onto Main Street in the Cove......and it's a beautiful drive on post, on Tank Destroyer Blvd.....very peaceful...though i had a small delay with a convoy of tanks today hee hee

Quote:
Originally Posted by USARM View Post
Ok, so my husband and I are moving to Ft. Hood. I will be working in either Waco or Austin but want to be closer to Ft. Hood for my husband. Any suggestions on areas? I keep hearing bad things about Killeen but that Harker Heights is Ok, is that true?

Last edited by NOTAM; 10-22-2007 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: add pics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 08:29 PM

30 posts, read 90,536 times
belle star of texas,

Glad you found your place !! maybe we can meet up for lunch one day & you can tell me what you think of the area. (like this weird weather this week- LOL)
I am inside Lampasas Co lines and drive up there for shopping, much quieter drive

Old 12-12-2007, 05:50 AM

hey there neighbor! i shop at your walmart instead of the cove-much quieter, less soldiers.
what are ya doin in Kempner? army wife?
have you tried Kemp Fire BBQ? it looks like it is never open!
have you eaten at Brick Oven German Restaurant? i heard the rouladen is awesome. i have just gone there to buy goodies at the bakery.
PM me if you like!
yeah weather is all cattywompus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejavu2002 View Post
belle star of texas,

Glad you found your place !! maybe we can meet up for lunch one day & you can tell me what you think of the area. (like this weird weather this week- LOL)
I am inside Lampasas Co lines and drive up there for shopping, much quieter drive

Old 12-27-2007, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,355 times
Default House in Kempner

We are selling our home in Kempner because we have relocated to North Texas. It is a great family home that sits on one acre of land. We lived in that area for 17ish years. We love Kempner because it seems somewhat separate from Fort Hood. Our house sits in the Lampasas ISD, which is a good district. I taught 12 years in Killeen and found Reeces Creek and Saegert to be FABULOUS schools. My son was in daycare in Cove at Trinity Living Center Daycare and we loved it! Please check out our realtor's link---

http://colonialrealestate.cybersunshine.com/FH137060 (broken link)

Old 12-28-2007, 07:16 PM

30 posts, read 90,536 times
We are relocating as well, only we are going to Houston. We thought this was "last move".. but ya gotta love the Army, LOL

So if anyone is researching homes in Kempner- ours just went on the FSBO sites. I am not ready to list with realtor yet- we have not lived here long enough to build equity to pay a realtor hefty commission. You can email me here thetexasdreamer@yahoo.com

4/2/2 on half acre. brick one story w/ second driveway for boat/rv. beautiful hill views and quiet subdivision (3 short streets)
My husband has to relocate right away, and I would dearly love to join him soon. Contact me for a bargain.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,841 times
Wink kempner fire bbq

It is the best!! You must go in there, it just looks like it isn't open. The owner is fantastic, you must ask her about her Texas Strawberries...to die for.

The Brick Oven is also very good!! Its a must try!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:54 AM

yeah Kempner Fire always looks closed each time i drive by, that is why i have never gone in!!
do they have take-out bbq?
and what is it about the Texas strawberries? are they dipped or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktubbs View Post
It is the best!! You must go in there, it just looks like it isn't open. The owner is fantastic, you must ask her about her Texas Strawberries...to die for.

The Brick Oven is also very good!! Its a must try!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,789 times
Hey..... I'm moving to the Fort Hood area as well this upcoming March 2008. I'm 7+ months pregnant and due in the beginning of May so I completely understand your concerns.. as well as this is my first military move. You can view military housing on the Fort Hood website and from my understanding the housing units for officers has been or is in the proccess of being newly rennovated.

Its been recommended to me by many people to try and live on base because the benefits outweigh the negatives and living off post in decent housing can be very costly after utilities etc. I'm waiting until I get down to the area to make a decision because there is a 3 month wait to get on post right now... and I have a lot of family plannng on coming down for my delivery. I keep joking about my baby being born with the super 8 motel address lol!

I know utilities are covered on post but I don't know what is covered as far as cable and internet. If you find anything out let me know... I'll keep you informed with what I find out. The unit that my husband is going to is also up for deployment very soon as well... we were informed that it would either be in April '08 or January '09. It'd be nice to stay in touch...

good luck with everything!

Old 03-29-2008, 09:31 PM

24 posts, read 82,999 times
Hello! I live in Fort Hood and have for the last 3 years. We live in South Killeen which is on the edge of Harker Heights. I love our location and our neighborhood is nice and quiet. We are also really close to the shopping. Tri City Property Management has some beautiful house to rent. Check them out at tricitypm.com. We just listed our house to rent since we are pcsing in May. We were told when we moved here to avoid Killeen but thats just not true. No you do not want to live in parts of Killeen but there are a ton of new neighborhoods in Killeen that are safe and really nice to live. Basically you want to live on one side of 190 and NOI the OTHER side. Harker Heights is great too, but you will pay more in rent/buy for less square footage. I don't recommend Temple. Seriously you will be cut off from Fort Hood and if your hubby deploys you will be so far away from support. Plus the temple mall is worse than the Killeen mall. We are getting a great shopping center that will be done in August so you will wish you lived closer to post.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:03 AM

2 posts, read 6,420 times
Post peacemkr211

My daughter is a new Army wife and her husband's post is Ft. Hood. We are driving all the way from SC to TX on 4-5 with their dog and cat for her to join him. This will be her first move. Movers arrive tomorrow, 31st...anything special we need to know? She has everything down to a minimum and has it all itemized, numbered, etc. Any additional helpful hints from those of you who have experienced this would be great!

They will be living off post and I see a house in Harker Heights near Wal-Mart and Walgreens. Is that a safe area?

Can any tell me anything about Central Texas College as she plans to attend FT while he is deployed (June 08- July 09). Will his GI bill pay for her to attend?

Lastly, thoughts on her staying in TX (with cat and dog) while he is deployed or hauling everything back to SC? We know the Army will not move her back. Seems like a long time to be alone 1200 miles away from family??? I worry about her safety more than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas