Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:12 PM

12 posts, read 46,156 times

Advertisements

Looking for a bit advice from sunny England. I am planning on getting married next year and want to do the deed in Texas. I spent most of my childhood in Abilene before moving back to the UK many years ago. Since that time I have desperately missed Abilene AND Texas as a whole. It seems that Texas gets in your system and keeps hold of you!!
I would be most grateful if anyone get could help me with some ideas of where, when and how to get married in Texas. It will be a small family affair with probally around 6 guests present. Any ideas and suggestions (besides DON'T DO IT) will be warmly received!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 09:26 PM

364 posts, read 1,414,884 times
Do you still have any family or trusted contacts in Abilene? Thats where I would start. Aside from that, you might google "Abilene wedding" and see if anything pops up.

Good luck.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:10 AM

Thank you RSTX. Unfortuneately I have no contacts in TEXAS (except you guys). I've done the google thing but was hoping to draw on personal experiences and recommendations from everyone here.
From looking at this forum it's clear to see that many here are still proud to be Texan and proud of the Texas that I still love. So come on guys and gals let me know how you did it or how u would want to do it!!! Winner gets an invite (but you have to wear a kilt )!!

Old 09-05-2007, 08:15 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times
the question is what type of wedding do you want--do you want something that is Western/cowboy/rustic or do you want something that is upscale and chic--do you want inside or outside, morning or sunset----do you want big-city glamour or resort country? TX offers them all...

websites for general information--Texas Monthly dot com--covers the state and there are always interesting stories about places to visit--and Southern Living magazine's web site--this mag covers the South more than TX but we get a local edition with info about this area which might be helpful...

check out the website for The Knot (www.theknot (broken link) dot com)--find the separate links for TX and then for the major metropolitan areas in TX--

info on vendors/locations/boards where mainly brides post about their situations but very informative for inside info on -- photographers/ caterers/hotels/ restaurants/ideas for ceremonies ---photo logs of real weddings which I always find intriguing .... there is much information, but it is not that well-organized in my opinion --but you can certainly find ideas for intimate as well as elaborate weddings...

Think about the time of year you want to marry---some locations work better in some seasons than others...you know how hot the summers can be here...would you come at a special holiday time? would this be a destination wedding for your party and sort of mini-vacation combined? So you might be looking not just for a place to have the wedding, but also how to spend your time while you are in TX---

Some suggestions from me:

I think San Antonio is the best match for a town that most people find romantic, interesting, historical, and eminently Texican--although you can say that about Fort Worth or Dallas or Houston or Austin--and there are areas of SA that are just as ugly and inner-city as any of them as well...but SA and the area/towns around it offer many ways to enjoy yourself...
You can fly into SA itself or Austin (check your ticket prices for both) and then drive down--about an hr depending on traffic--

A wedding in the heart of San Antonio on the Riverwalk or La Villita would be lovely---there are many locations including parks, hotels/ BnB/ there are restaurants in town with lovely grounds, lots of trees, maybe some river frontage that also host weddings large and small...
there is lovely old home outside San Antonio which was once a vacation home for Olivia de Havilland who played Melanie Wilkes in Gone with the Wind--called Guadalupe River Ranch, it is now a bed/breakfast small resort which hosts wedding and small conferences--property looks very beautiful from pictures I have seen--gourmet food--not cheap but might be very special and it is fairly close drive to SA

Fredericksburg north of SA in the Hill Country has wonderful shopping/sightseeing and lovely bed/breakfasts and I am sure a wedding in the spring with all the bluebonnets and other wildflowers (first screened for snakes of course) would make some beautiful pictures...think the town gets all decorated for Christmas and has a nice Fourth of July celebration as well...it is about an hour from SA so you could spend some time in each place...

Kerrville and Wimberly are also in the Hill Country around SA--they might be worth investigating...there are some dude ranches in that area if you would be interested in horse backriding and more of a cowboy atmosphere...

Austin is about an hour N of SA--has wonderful lakes close to town and historical sights to visit--plenty of places to have a wedding --because of being on lake, this is one place where a summer wedding might work fairly well--rent house on Lake Travis and just chill out there if you like water sports and relaxing...

Maybe check out the new state park on Lake LBJ at Burnett, TX--called Canyon of the Eagles--there is good web site with photos showing the hotel and general area--that is more isolated than SA --but has great views, the lake, and at the right time of the year, you can tour the lake via water and check out the eagles' nesting sites...

You could do a wedding in Davis Mountains in the western sw corner in the spring or fall (which could have a beautiful sunset or sunrise wedding) Davis Mts are beautiful part of TX but it is more isolated and difficult to get to...
this link is to chamber of commerce site for local hotels
Welcome to Fort Davis, Texas

Maybe Padre Island if you like the beach (although TX beaches often are disappointing when people are thinking Hawaii or Caribbean) and I think the beach is not something really associated with TX to most people

Fort Worth has Sundance Sq, the Stockyards historical district, and some wonderful museums if you like art...a neat zoo, good restaurants. local baseball and hockey minor league teams plus Rangers and Cowboys--easy drive to 6 Flags theme park in Arlington and fairly easy to Dallas to the Kennedy Museum and others...

Houston had a restaurant called Vargo's years ago when we lived there that often hosted weddings and their receptions--lovely grounds with hugh oak trees...and I am sure there are lots of places there to have a wedding--I just don't find Houston that attractive a town because of its traffic and size...

But, close to Houston, Galveston in the winter has lovely festival called Christmas/Dickens on the Strand --town looks beautiful with lights and decorations--has an English tinge to it which might be atmosphere you would enjoy...

I could write lots more-----but think this is general framework...

Old 09-05-2007, 08:42 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,613,208 times
You could do a wedding in Davis Mountains in the western sw corner in the spring or fall (which could have a beautiful sunset or sunrise wedding) Davis Mts are beautiful part of TX but it is more isolated and difficult to get to...
this link is to chamber of commerce site for local hotels
Welcome to Fort Davis, Texas

One of the most beautiful small weddings I've ever been to was at the Indian Lodge at Ft. Davis State Park. We stood outside on a covered porch as mist rolled up the valley. The bride and groom had contacted a local minister in Ft. Davis who did the ceremony. The Indian Lodge is a motel run by the State Parks and Recreation but it doesn't look like a cheesy motel. It's white stucco and has multiple levels and although it's simple, it feels special. You and your guests could make a side trip to the McDonald Observatory and see a bit of West Texas. Anyway, you should put it on your list to consider.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:31 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,266,650 times
I tell you whut, how abouts a good ole fashioned shot gun weddin'? Wait till the bride is fixin to drop her pups then head on up to Dallas to get one of thems fancy maternity dresses and get dolled up like Pamela Anderson. At the weddin you can have beer and BBQ and when the groom passes out, throw him back of the Ford pickup and head up to the ranch for your honeymoon.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:52 AM

Wow! Thank you loves2read for the time and effort put into that reply. We'll be looking at getting married in the beginning of September next year. I know it will be hot but when you live in England it's a welcome break from the rain and greyness (remember only mad dogs and Englishmen come out in the midday sun!).
Certainly not looking for any pretentious upmarket chic wedding, I could do that in London which is 35 miles away from me! I think it has to be an intimate romantic wedding steeped in western/cowboy/Texan culture.
San Antonio does come highly on the list. I have fond memories as a kid visiting the Alamo and the charm of the Riverwalk.
Padre Island brings back memories too after spending a few childhood vacations there. Does anyone know of any decent diving locations there?
Dallas/Fort Worth area is quite promising especially for my future wife (lots of shopping malls, heaven help me!).
Of course Abilene holds the sentimental value for me and I believe the Chili Cook Off in Buffalo Gap is held in September!!!! Yee Haw!
Besides getting married we'll be looking at spending roughly 3 week traveling round Texas. Places I feel I have to show to my other half also include Dallas/Fort Worth inc. Billy Bob's, Petroleum Museum in Midland, Senora Caverns, San Antonio, Austin and Galveston. I'm sure there's more but these were all places I went as a kid and loved. Also wondering about spending a few days on a dude ranch.
Thanks for the info on Fort Davis Marlow. I've never been there and therefore hadn't considered it. Looks very nice!
I suppose I want my other half to fall in love with Texas like I did!

Old 09-05-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I tell you whut, how abouts a good ole fashioned shot gun weddin'? Wait till the bride is fixin to drop her pups then head on up to Dallas to get one of thems fancy maternity dresses and get dolled up like Pamela Anderson. At the weddin you can have beer and BBQ and when the groom passes out, throw him back of the Ford pickup and head up to the ranch for your honeymoon.
So far Lucidus is winning!! Sounds Cheap!!

Old 09-05-2007, 10:38 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,266,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas never leaves you! View Post
So far Lucidus is winning!! Sounds Cheap!!
So you are getting hitched in September of next year?, you better start letting your mullet grow out now.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:02 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,613,208 times
The Prude Ranch is a guest rance close to Ft. Davis. Take a look at it too. And you could go to the Caverns of Sonora while you're out there. Can you tell that I love that area of Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas