Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:24 AM

405 posts, read 822,459 times

Advertisements

I can't believe people are actually on here arguing about Nacogdoches. I used to live there, and it absolutely SUCKS!!!! In fact, that whole Nacogdoches/Lufkin East Texas area feels more like the backwoods of 1912 rural Mississippi than it does Texas in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 09:53 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
I can't believe people are actually on here arguing about Nacogdoches. I used to live there, and it absolutely SUCKS!!!! In fact, that whole Nacogdoches/Lufkin East Texas area feels more like the backwoods of 1912 rural Mississippi than it does Texas in 2012.
But what about the love bugs?

Old 10-25-2012, 11:58 AM

405 posts, read 822,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
But what about the love bugs?
LOL, good one...

Old 10-25-2012, 07:44 PM

390 posts, read 714,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phone man View Post
I guess no previous poster has ever been to Hearne.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaxon View Post
Just ran across this thread... Hearne makes the phrase “armpit of Texas” look like a paradise in comparison.

Don’t even like driving through it... only good thing about it is it doesn’t take long to see it in your rerview mirror.
I was thinking Calvert, just before you get to Hearne.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
LOL, good one...
I remember my first experience of driving through Lufkin - at the height of Love Bug season. Oh my, I thought I was in some plague or pestilence movie. It was like driving through a gray cloud. I took a few run throughs of the car wash to eventually get them all off.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:38 PM

22 posts, read 42,532 times
Hi. Did you ever get the chance to drive through Athens?

Old 11-06-2012, 07:51 AM

517 posts, read 1,051,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kca1020 View Post
I realize I'm biased but worst small towns in Texas? Both cities pushing 40,000 with a university, a large juco, shopping, nice neighborhoods, above average schools, a zoo, dozens of restaurants, etc. I hate to disparage other cities but have you ever been to Alto, Center, Rusk, Newton, Jasper, etc?
Yes, we moved from San Augustine to Nacogdoches, we wanted to get into a big city. Don't get me wrong, San Augustine is a pretty town. Eerie though, at night you can tell how many of the houses are empty due to the lack of lights. In the day time it doesn't look so bad because the yards tend to be kept up.

The DQ is awful, however since we left the Pinto Pony has started a restaurant. (The Pinto Pony is a cookie factory, you can get their cookies off of the internet) So in a since, Center is better than San Augustine to live in, but San Augustine is prettier. However to get really grim you have to drive down the road to Pineland. That place is just a wide place in the road, and there is nothing to recommend it.

But, at least Pineland smells of the Pineywoods, if you go down to Evadale, you get the smell of the paper mill, the mosquitoes of the marshes and the humidity of the coast.

Evadale gets my vote. However, and I hate to kick a town while it is down, Bridge City is a close runner up, with Deweyville, Little Cyprus, Mauriceville, and Kirbyville getting honorable mentions.

As far as Jasper goes, well it has places to eat, it is clean, and the race relations? Well, the black man that was so brutally murdered felt comfortable enough to ask for a ride. The scum that killed him took advantage of his trust and not only murdered him, it harmed the entire town. For that reason Jasper doesn't even make the final cut. Vidor either. The race relations in Vidor are poor, but they are just as poor in Evadale and Evadale stinks.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 11-06-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonekillian View Post
Hi. Did you ever get the chance to drive through Athens?
Who are you asking? Try the quote feature.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:03 AM

14 posts, read 28,857 times
I've been gone for a while, but wanted to state a couple of situations about problems with Mexican "bandits' along some of the freeways close to the Mexican border... I can tell the person arguing with me doesn't either read very well or can't comprehend very well.... I never said anything about people being stopped at a traffic light.. My wife was at a convention in EP a few years ago, along with several other women from the Dallas area. All were told not to be out driving at night, especially along hwy 375, hwy 85, hwy 62, hwy 20. There was also a sheet handed out at the convention warning people not to drive certain places at night (along that same area) due to problems with people being stopped in the more remote areas and being robbed at gun point). I've been to EP and it does have some nice areas, but I would never want to live there. As far as west Texas is concerned, I didn't care much for Odessa (not small), but Midland was ok. Never cared much for Andrews, Lamesa, Seminole, Kermit, Monahans, Pecos, or Fort Stockton. Lubbock is not bad, but I prefer San Angelo for west Texas. I like east Texas starting around Atlanta south to San Augustine on the east side and from Mt Vernon south to Crockett. There are a few towns in that area that I wouldn't want to live, but overall, east Texas has a charm to it, the people are basically friendly, easy going, neighborly, and I like the laid back atmosphere. But EP, no thanks, no way, shape, or form.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:18 PM

4 posts, read 3,714 times
One horse towns equals longtime family business politics. If you are new to move to these places you most likely will feel like an outsider. Sure, most of these small towns have a safe homely feel but rest assured that gossip is the greatest pass time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas