Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 PM

679 posts, read 1,802,072 times

Advertisements

Castroville?

Medina Valley graduates hear prayers aplenty - San Antonio Express-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 07:29 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
I've already done a thread on the best small town in Texas but what in your opinion is the worst small town in Texas and feel free to explain why? For me it was Lumberton which is north of Beaumont. Me and my family stopped there to eat, a few years ago, on our way home to Texarkana. Anyway the people there weren't very friendly and stared at us making us feel very uncomfortable and unwelcome. I didn't know if their reaction was because we were black or not. I've never experienced anything like that anywhere. Weird. I know everyone there wouldn't have the same reaction but the people we did encounter made us not want to stop there again.

Not sure if this is related or not but, back in the 60's, Vidor, was a renknown hangout for KKK. That's just slightly NE of Beaumont. About 10 miles SE of where you were.....we left the area in 66 but, I have been back a few times over the last 40 odd years and not much has changed except everything looks older and more run down. Those areas have had their share of tough times go way back when (Orange, Beaumonth, Port Arthur).....

Couldn't tell you if it has changed or not or even if this is related but, my most recent visit (and probably my last) was last fall. The people were still a bit to themselves. I did find one neighbor I knew as a kid and she STILL lived in the same house. No one else, obviously, was left. Why for the life of me she stayed all these last 45 years is beyond me.

Anyway, if you are looking for change and progress, not sure this would be where I would start first. Just be glad you didn't stay overnight!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:08 PM

578 posts, read 1,227,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooua View Post
Hrm.... Pecos is on Forbes' list of fastest growing towns in the U.S.

"Another factor in Pecos’ expansion: a boom in oil and gas drilling enabled by fracking."

What about

South Texas: Brownsville
East Texas: Marshall (or Paris)
I've seen the expansion with my own eyes, and couldn't get a freaking hotel room a few weeks ago when I was in the area. I've stayed there during boom times, and also bust times. Booming population doesn't mean that it is a good town in my opinion. In fact, as soon as they finish this cycle of boom, the same surge of people flooding into the town, will be flooding out of there (which is why there is a feeling of no community).

I agree with Paris...forgot about that one.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:41 AM

674 posts, read 1,538,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Not sure if this is related or not but, back in the 60's, Vidor, was a renknown hangout for KKK. That's just slightly NE of Beaumont. About 10 miles SE of where you were.....we left the area in 66 but, I have been back a few times over the last 40 odd years and not much has changed except everything looks older and more run down. Those areas have had their share of tough times go way back when (Orange, Beaumonth, Port Arthur).....

Couldn't tell you if it has changed or not or even if this is related but, my most recent visit (and probably my last) was last fall. The people were still a bit to themselves. I did find one neighbor I knew as a kid and she STILL lived in the same house. No one else, obviously, was left. Why for the life of me she stayed all these last 45 years is beyond me.

Anyway, if you are looking for change and progress, not sure this would be where I would start first. Just be glad you didn't stay overnight!
Man, I'm glad too!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:30 AM

875 posts, read 1,660,850 times
I would have to say every town in deep SE Texas.

I have been spending quite a bit of time here for the past few months and I have realized that this area is very different from "Texas".

Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM

117 posts, read 257,522 times
For me, texarkana is the worst small town. Socially, they are stuck in the 60's. I've never been in a town that was so segregated. Not to mention that the town smells like **** 90% of the time. That paper mill was no joke! And it's a pretty ugly town also...

Old 02-15-2012, 12:27 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
I would have to say every town in deep SE Texas.

I have been spending quite a bit of time here for the past few months and I have realized that this area is very different from "Texas".
Boy, ain't that the truth?!? I found it SO depressing, and I haven't been back down there for over 30 years!

Old 02-15-2012, 12:54 PM

875 posts, read 1,660,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Boy, ain't that the truth?!? I found it SO depressing, and I haven't been back down there for over 30 years!
Yea i just recently been going back and forth to the area because of family. But after I went off to college and seen the rest of Texas and other parts of the country i realized that it is a pretty rough area.

But I will say I think the area has plenty potential to become the area that it once was. Just needs someone who knows what they are doing.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Yea i just recently been going back and forth to the area because of family. But after I went off to college and seen the rest of Texas and other parts of the country i realized that it is a pretty rough area.

But I will say I think the area has plenty potential to become the area that it once was. Just needs someone who knows what they are doing.
From what I hear about a lot of towns in far se Texas(Beaumont, Port Arthur etc.) the area must really be economically depressed.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekboi View Post
For me, texarkana is the worst small town. Socially, they are stuck in the 60's. I've never been in a town that was so segregated. Not to mention that the town smells like **** 90% of the time. That paper mill was no joke! And it's a pretty ugly town also...
Texarkana is no more segregated than any other city in the state. As far as the smell it's like that mainly in the immediate vacinity of the plant which is located about 13 miles outside the city limits. Texarkana is not the prettiest of places but it's not the ugliest either. This city has made a lot of improvements in infrastructure plus it's growing and I like the direction they're trying to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas