U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-22-2012, 09:05 AM

8,640 posts, read 4,686,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needTXinfo View Post
I am not bashing Houston, it has a lot going for it in terms of opportunities to make money and have a good standard of living. But I was trying to offer my perspective, away from money, about why people might prefer other cities.
You referenced City Data as an example of your point:
Houston vs Austin vs Pittsburgh

Best area to Live in Texas: DALLAS, HOUSTON, SAN ANTONIO, AUSTIN, RIO GRANDE VALLEY

Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, Austin, or Nashville?

Best Art Museums- Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Miami

Houston--Atlanta--Dallas--Miami**"SMACKDOWN"**

Houston vs Dallas Please help-we need your opinion

NON-TEXANS ONLY: Houston vs. Dallas

Please take a second to do this poll Dallas VS Houston

It appears that, on this site alone, Houston is easily the most favored and respected of the Texas cities. When it comes to diversity, culture, and food, the other cities in the state are simply no match for Houston, and I'm confident that most people recognize that. There is a certain group of people who would prefer Austin, and they're most often the young, white, Portland/San Fran, "I-think-I'm-hip"-ster types. Foreigners, minorities, and general big city types seem more likely to prefer Houston and then Dallas. Austin is dead last for those folks.

Even most of your own fellow Texans believe the town is overrated:

Most overrated or overhyped city: Dallas, Austin, or Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-22-2012, 09:09 AM

651 posts, read 607,103 times
I still don't understand the attraction to Austin. I'm a native Texan and have spent considerable time in that town-just don't get it.

Unread 02-22-2012, 10:10 AM

46 posts, read 24,815 times
Here is a link to information on cities with IT jobs, listing Houston first:

Houston, Orlando, Toronto Among Top Cities for IT Workers - IT Management - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

IT Management: Houston, Orlando, Toronto Among Top Cities for IT Workers

Houston (Overall Unemployment: 7.6 percent)

Technology updates during the last three to five years have slowed due to the downturn in the economy, but as the economy gains footing, more companies are investing in their technology, therefore increasing demand for IT workers.

Unread 02-22-2012, 12:19 PM

3,190 posts, read 2,251,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
I still don't understand the attraction to Austin. I'm a native Texan and have spent considerable time in that town-just don't get it.
Congratulations I agree, I believe that officially makes us both " not weird" given Austin's motto of keep Austin weird

Unread 02-22-2012, 12:23 PM

18,521 posts, read 13,650,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Congratulations I agree, I believe that officially makes us both " not weird" given Austin's motto of keep Austin weird
I don't get the weirdness either.

Everyone kept telling me that I was young, Austin is the place to be. I expected somewhere with so much more than Houston and Dallas, but got so much less.

Maybe if I was just told, "hey check out Austin, it is fun" I would have thought, yeah it IS fun. But I was expecting so much more than just fun. Sorry, but I need a lot more than outdoor activities and bars.

Unread 02-22-2012, 01:49 PM

1,033 posts, read 1,012,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I don't get the weirdness either.

Everyone kept telling me that I was young, Austin is the place to be. I expected somewhere with so much more than Houston and Dallas, but got so much less.

Maybe if I was just told, "hey check out Austin, it is fun" I would have thought, yeah it IS fun. But I was expecting so much more than just fun. Sorry, but I need a lot more than outdoor activities and bars.
I would say you guys are spinning BS. But, I'll be nice and say stop lying!

No need for the hate. Nothing but love here in Austin!

Unread 02-22-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post

No hate, that is you guys job. You do it to make Austin feel better than it is.
I don't hate Austin one bit. was just expecting more.

Unread 02-22-2012, 02:34 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,045,481 times
There's nothing wrong with Austin. It just depends on what you like. It's not a big city like Dallas or Houston, but it doesn't want to be. It is a city centered around universities and government so it's going to attract a much younger, more liberal crowd. As far as nightlife goes (drinking, people mixing, seeing bands, etc.), Austin's downtown is second to none out of these cities. Austin is also the music and film capital of Texas, and if you polled people you'd find that the majority of people find the hill country of central Texas much more aesthetically pleasing than Houston's gulf or the North Texas prairie. That attracts a much more active, outdoorsy crowd.

Now, with that said, if you're a city person Dallas and Houston are going to be your best bets. The big city amenities and multiculturalism that goes with it will not be found in Austin.

Unread 02-22-2012, 02:57 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,020,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post

Agreed. Peeking through this thread and many others on the TX forum, there is a small army of Houston evangelists busy letting everyone know how overrated Austin is, yet you don't see many Austin 'boosters' trashing Houston.

If Houston is already Texas' most respected and awesome city, I wonder where the need to constantly be on the defensive about Houston come from?

Unread 02-22-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Austin's downtown is second to none out of these cities.
no downtown is second to another among these major cities. Austin has more people milling around, San Antonio has more tourists, Houston has more buildings and economic activity, Dallas has the nightscape, and so on.

But you will Never convince me that Austin's downtown is better than the others. I think Texans on this site has been brainwashed by the northeasterners into thinking if you don't see people then the downtown is not good.

Downtowns are primarily economic centers and Houston and Dallas blow Austin away on that one. So if the most important aspect of a downtown Austin is far behind, how can Austin's downtown be better??

in turns of Downtowns here is my ranking of must haves

1. JOBS- 1. Houston, 2. Dallas, 3. Austin, 4. Fort Worth , 5. San Antonio
2. Transportation (just in downtown)- 1. Houston, 2. Dallas, 3. Austin, 4. SA the rest
3. Food- Tie all the way around (although the setting in SA is the best)
4. Entertainment-
a. Tourist attractions- 1. San Antonio, 2. Fort Worth, 3. Austin, 4.Houston, 5. Dallas, The rest
b. Sports (Downtown Only)- 1. Houston, the rest
c. Fine Arts- 1. Houston, 2. Fort Worth, 3. Dallas, 4.Austin, San Antonio
d. Bars and Clubs- 1. Austin, 2. Houston, 3. San Antonio, 4. Dallas, 5. Forth Worth.

giving 5 points for 1st place and 1 for 5th you can see how the ranking falls.

Houston 31
Dallas 22
Austin 21
FW 17
SA 17

Houston and Dallas Clearly have the stronger downtowns. Further, because downtowns are business districts primarily, the economy should be even given stronger weight than entertainment. which would put Houston and Dallas much higher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas