Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Weather: Dallas vs. Houston
Dallas 53 46.49%
Houston 24 21.05%
Austin 21 18.42%
Others 16 14.04%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
That probably has to do with the urban heat island effect:

Urban heat island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Urban heat island?

Galveston is cooler than Dallas right now too, which is EXTREMELY rare.

Dallas - 67 feels like 67

Denton - 62 feels like 62

Galveston Island - 63 feels like 63
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 06:03 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,515 times
It is possible to slightly escape Houston's summer heat by spending time in Galveston, where it is usually at least 5-8 degrees cooler during the day. Both Dallas and Houston are Hades-like during the summer months! IMO Houston has slightly better weather the rest of the year-unless you like occasional ice and light snow. That's pretty rare in Houston.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvoben View Post
which one do you like?
Dallas: Snow in winter, tornados, and summers hotter than San Antonio.

Houston: hurricanes and worst humidity in the US

Austin: Neither.

No brainer.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:37 AM

Yeah, Austin's weather isn't humid. Not! Isn't Jarrell (sic) where the F5 hit somewhat close to Austin? Summer weather in Austin sucks too don't think for a minute it doesn't!

Old 01-12-2013, 08:27 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Dallas: Snow in winter, tornados, and summers hotter than San Antonio.

Houston: hurricanes and worst humidity in the US

Austin: Neither.

No brainer.
Untrue... there was a thread recently showing averages about how Austin's summers were even slightly hotter than those of Dallas. Also, Austin is slightly more humid. Dallas snow does not happen each winter, and Houston does not have the highest humidity in the US.

By the way, drought is a weather pattern too and you forget about the awful one we've had in Central TX the last few years (and associated fires).

Very little factual information in your post and filled with exaggeration.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 AM

Nice rain in Houston this weekend and past week. It's a very green winter after all!

Old 01-12-2013, 09:22 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Untrue... there was a thread recently showing averages about how Austin's summers were even slightly hotter than those of Dallas. Also, Austin is slightly more humid. Dallas snow does not happen each winter, and Houston does not have the highest humidity in the US.

By the way, drought is a weather pattern too and you forget about the awful one we've had in Central TX the last few years (and associated fires).

Very little factual information in your post and filled with exaggeration.
I wasn't mentioning humidity in Dallas. During the last few summers since I've been here, the average is usually higher in Dallas, probably due to urban heat. Combined with the colder winters, and the snow and ice that hits DFW from time to time, I'm not a fan of the extreme weather of DFW. I'll pass on living in tornado alley, too. The humidity in Houston is among the worst in the U.S., sans maybe Miami.

So, yes I voted for Austin.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:43 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quite frankly, I don't see how a majority of the people who voted chose Dallas, Houston, or Austin. "Others" is an option, you know, and there are better places in Texas for those of you who prefer things like four seasons or mild winters with less humidity.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:56 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Quite frankly, I don't see how a majority of the people who voted chose Dallas, Houston, or Austin. "Others" is an option, you know, and there are better places in Texas for those of you who prefer things like four seasons or mild winters with less humidity.
I guess for Texas that the Panhandle and the farther reaches of West Texas do have sort of a 4-season climate, as close as it gets.

I love the 4 DISTINCT seasons here in Northern NM--it is now 10 degrees at 11am, and it got down to near 0 degrees last night.

The climate sucks in all of the city choices listed in different ways.

DFW has the most extreme weather in the state, IMHO.

Houston is ungodly humid, with way too much rain most years--you have mold everywhere, and the summers are like a sauna.

Austin is the nicest of the list in WINTER, but even with the drought they are experiencing now, it's STILL humid, and the summers are just as unbearable as those of the other cities.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:08 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I guess for Texas that the Panhandle and the farther reaches of West Texas do have sort of a 4-season climate, as close as it gets.

I love the 4 DISTINCT seasons here in Northern NM--it is now 10 degrees at 11am, and it got down to near 0 degrees last night.
If one is able to tolerate the humidity in summer, I personally believe that extreme Northeast Texas has the best display of four seasons in the state: chilly winters with occasional snow, balmy and verdant springs, hot, sultry summers, and cool autumns with tall hardwoods putting on a great fall foliage show.

I still remember going up to Texarkana and Arkansas during fall, as a kid, and there would be a nice breeze blowing crisp piles of leaves all over the place. It was really unlike anything we ever got in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas