Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will make the most dramatic Change in its core?
Dallas 57 24.36%
Houston 103 44.02%
Austin 48 20.51%
San Antonio 26 11.11%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 07:14 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Houston is not in the Southwest. The only true Southwestern city in Texas is El Paso. The Southwest US is a small part of Texas, a small part of California, Arizona, and New Mexico.

Are you going to tell me that Houston has more in common with Phoenix than Atlanta?
IKR.

And folks are calling me outta my name.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:23 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Houston is not in the Southwest. The only true Southwestern city in Texas is El Paso. The Southwest US is a small part of Texas, a small part of California, Arizona, and New Mexico.

Are you going to tell me that Houston has more in common with Phoenix than Atlanta?
I get what Kdogg was saying though. Houston doesn't have more in common with Phoenix than Atlanta. But it does have more in common with Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas than it does with Atlanta and Birmingham.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:23 AM

4,434 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I get what Kdogg was saying though. Houston doesn't have more in common with Phoenix than Atlanta. But it does have more in common with Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas than it does with Atlanta and Birmingham.
So than you are saying it is Texan...

Old 12-04-2015, 10:02 AM

I haven't been to S.A. yet.

I've gone to Houston, Austin, and DFW.
- Houston feels like Louisiana and the rest of the South. The northern areas are very Piedmont like. In other parts, Houston feels like Baton Rouge, Orlando, New Orleans, Mobile, and other Gulf Coast cities. I think Houston's diversity makes it seem less similar to other major southern cities like Atlanta and Birmingham. (Most major southern cities are still black and white for the most part). I don't get the Texan and southwest vibes you guys talk about.
- Austin looks like Seattle, but it strangely feels a little similar to Nashville. It seems very liberal and free-spirited. I definitely don't get this vibe in Houston or DFW.
- DFW looks like Middle America. Leaving DFW and entering Houston felt like I was leaving another and entering into Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and other southern states. I didn't even find Houston and DFW similar at all. To me, Austin and DFW favor more than they favor Houston.

I do see why people have a hard time classifying whether Texas is southern or not, but at the end of the day, Houston feels the most southern to me.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:03 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post

- DFW looks like Middle America. Leaving DFW and entering Houston felt like I was leaving another and entering into Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and other southern states. I didn't even find Houston and DFW similar at all. To me, Austin and DFW favor more than they favor Houston.

I do see why people have a hard time classifying whether Texas is southern or not, but at the end of the day, Houston feels the most southern to me.
So are you saying that Dallas feels like a regular modern American city and entering Houston from DFW, you feel like you're entering the swampy backwaters?

Is that what you're trying to say?

Old 12-04-2015, 11:23 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
So than you are saying it is Texan...
IMO, yep. What else is it?

Old 12-04-2015, 12:47 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,242,613 times
Quote:

I've gone to Houston, Austin, and DFW.
- Houston feels like Louisiana and the rest of the South. The northern areas are very Piedmont like. In other parts, Houston feels like Baton Rouge, Orlando, New Orleans, Mobile, and other Gulf Coast cities. I think Houston's diversity makes it seem less similar to other major southern cities like Atlanta and Birmingham. (Most major southern cities are still black and white for the most part). I don't get the Texan and southwest vibes you guys talk about.
- Austin looks like Seattle, but it strangely feels a little similar to Nashville. It seems very liberal and free-spirited. I definitely don't get this vibe in Houston or DFW.

Austin looks nothing like Seattle, dawg.

So you're saying Houston feels the most southern, yet not similar to other major southern cities. Gotcha.

That diversity thing has been here for ages. So has the Mexican population. If you were born here you'd already know that. And You really think we went from zero to 2 million Hispanics in 30 years? LOL you know the census never had Hispanic as a category until 1980 right?

You can trace Tex Mex history here over the past 120 years. Or technically 180 years, after the battle of San Jacinto in modern day east Houston. Diversity and millions of Mexicans is one of many reasons Houston and Dallas stand apart from the old south.

How about architecture? Where besides Galveston can you find old South style buildings? The difference between Houston and Louisiana here is striking. Houston has much more in common with the rest of Texas here.

As far as scenery and weather goes, Houston is where Corpus Christi and Louisiana collide. So I'll give you that. Corpus is a little drier but NOLA is like Houston's heat + humidity on steroids.

People, architecture, terrain and weather. .. .What other comparisons am I missing here?

Old 12-04-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Austin looks nothing like Seattle, dawg.

So you're saying Houston feels the most southern, yet not similar to other major southern cities. Gotcha.

That diversity thing has been here for ages. So has the Mexican population. If you were born here you'd already know that. And You really think we went from zero to 2 million Hispanics in 30 years? LOL you know the census never had Hispanic as a category until 1980 right?

You can trace Tex Mex history here over the past 120 years. Or technically 180 years, after the battle of San Jacinto in modern day east Houston. Diversity and millions of Mexicans is one of many reasons Houston and Dallas stand apart from the old south.

How about architecture? Where besides Galveston can you find old South style buildings? The difference between Houston and Louisiana here is striking. Houston has much more in common with the rest of Texas here.

As far as scenery and weather goes, Houston is where Corpus Christi and Louisiana collide. So I'll give you that. Corpus is a little drier but NOLA is like Houston's heat + humidity on steroids.

People, architecture, terrain and weather. .. .What other comparisons am I missing here?
I am allowed to have opinions.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:11 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
Quote:
Yet you act like you're a world traveler.

Quote:
Houston feels like Louisiana and the rest of the South. The northern areas are very Piedmont like. In other parts, Houston feels like Baton Rouge, Orlando, New Orleans, Mobile, and other Gulf Coast cities.
Orlando is not on the Gulf Coast.

Quote:
I don't get the Texan and southwest vibes you guys talk about.
Is not Tex-Mex and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo not Texas enough?

Quote:
Austin looks like Seattle
No it doesn't.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:05 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,242,613 times
Is there a part of Houston where 1 in 10 families speak Cajun French at home? In South Louisiana this is commonplace. I've lived in Houston all my life and haven't found such an area yet. Southboy, do you know of such an area here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas