Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:30 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I remember directions to a party once that included, "Turn right where the horse is standing in the corner of the field." And, yes, those were good directions, because that horse was always standing in that corner of that particular field.

Before the ranch down the road from me sold, I could tell folks to head east on the FM road and to turn left when they got to the zebras; if they got to the buffalo, they'd gone to far, and if they got to the wallabees, they'd really gone too far and to turn around and turn right at the zebras. I miss being able to say that - there was no way anyone was going to get lost going to my place!
Actually, it's kind of fun getting directions like those of which we speak. My co-worker was just incredulous though and she is so darn funny anyway, the story was absolutely hilarious the way she told it. One just had to be there to truly appreciate the humor. She had us all "rolling on the floor."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 08:55 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,095 times
CleoT, the behavior of those people toward you and your family is just inexcusable and absolutely appalling. Obviously, most people, anywhere, are not like that. You, unfortunately, have had some bad luck living in that town. I'm assuming it's not in a big city. I know you don't want to say but I wish you luck in moving back home.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:18 AM

512 posts, read 861,793 times
Okay, I'm back and a little removed from my earlier frustration.

Love Roses and blueskies49 are both right. I'm in a town of about 15,000 and it's pretty much isolated--no big city around. I love Dallas, but the traffic can be a little stressful at times. There are other smaller cities I adore, and I told my husband not too long ago that if we'd moved to Longview, I would never ever want to leave.

What I hear from native Texans who weren't raised in this county, it's not me, it them. But that's not so easy to take when you are on a first name basis with the local sheriff because of a few haters. Thankfully the big mess is behind me by a few years, but there are a lot of people who still think I'm this impediment in their way. Many people have seen that I'm a good, normal person, but I will give myself some credit--I'm a stubborn, open-minded person (no, that's not a oxymoron ). I dug my heels in and wasn't going to let anyone run me out of town. Now that the main culprit is gone and I'm still here (for a while, anyway) I think I've gained respect from a lot of locals. I'm just so tired of having to prove myself for no reason.

As for my neighbor's teenager, I wish I were kidding you, but she laughed about the drivers test after she got her license. It may be that the officer knew her well and decided to pass her just by going around the block, I don't know. but I do know that all her mother did was sign a form to get the book, then let her drive the family car until she nearly wrecked it, then made her wait until she went for the test. The mom told me she thought her daughter would fail it, but she didn't. I'd be interested to see if just anyone can get by with this little knowledge and experience, but my kids are still young enough they won't be learning to drive here.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I ruffled feathers. I didn't mean to. I'm just still so frustrated to still be here, then to read that person's post set me off. But like I said, I don't think of all of Texas as being this way. there are small towns everywhere that are like this. I just didn't think that's what we were getting ourselves into when we moved here.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:22 PM

THL ~~ I found out today from teens that just recently received their driver's licenses and no, a DPS officer does not give a behind-the-wheel test. A parent can request one, but the norm is that it isn't happening. Ugh!!

Old 05-19-2008, 09:31 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Really! I'll have to doublecheck that one, because everything I've heard (and my children's personal experience, which postdates the experience you mentioned upthread about your son) contradicts that. There was no option given when my daughter went in for her test - she simply had to take the driving test with the DPS officer riding along or not get her license.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:45 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,095 times
cleoT, your stubbornness served you well. I would have moved if it were me. I asked my husband about any similar experiences when he was growing up in his small town east of Dallas where everybody knew everyone else. He can't recall anything that disasterous so I think you just ran into some isolated nutcases.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:54 PM

99 posts, read 310,840 times
New Page 2 for acquiring a Texas Drivers License;

New Page 2 (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/faq/answers_dl_id.htm - broken link)

Old 05-20-2008, 09:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
I see it's necessary to pass the written and driving tests on all of those.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:57 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
I do remember seeing the option available to teach your own child at home. I'm sure that's probably what happened with that kid, but her parents didn't do a good job of it obviously. They should probably take that option off the table as abuse of it is probably rampant.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I see it's necessary to pass the written and driving tests on all of those.
Well, not in Hill County from what I'm told. I'll call them on Tuesday if I don't forget and clarify the specifics. The teen to whom I spoke just got her driver's license about 6 weeks ago. I think she would remember driving with an officer if she, in fact, did so.

More later..........................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas