U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2012, 07:39 AM

12,592 posts, read 12,644,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
The "major" cities are very much liberal compared to the rest of Texas small towns.

I'm originally from San Francisco. I joined the Navy at 17 to get out of that horrible city, and over the 21 years I served, the entire state has gone down the liberal drain so far I never want to return - and it's beautiful in it's nature, but the people that live there now have ensured that people that are moderate/moderate-to-conservative will never return.

I find that same liberal mentality (accepting the fringe behaviors of minority pockets of society) exists in San Antonio, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and to a lesser extent El Paso.

You will find those people and their fringe behaviors in most cities/towns all across America, but there are still traditional (and conservative) values to be held in higher esteem in most of the west Texas towns (I currently live in San Angelo). People are polite, tolerant (but less accepting) of deviant behavior, and downright friendly.

But, to pretend or mislead that the major cities in Texas are not liberally-based (as are most cities in the U.S., in my opinion), is disingenuous at best.

Having lived in 4 countries (other than the U.S.) and 6 states within the U.S., I can say that choosing San Angelo (a town of about 95k people) was a no brainer instead of going back to California for any reason.
Perhaps we differ on what liberal means. If liberal means "accepting fringe behaviors of minority pockets of society" then I agree with you about the big cities.

My view of liberal vs. conservative has more to do with the overall role of government in our lives. Texas as a whole, including the big cities, still clearly votes for less government than the people of California, Oregon, or most of the north east. That includes Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio.

I really don't care what the "fringe" people do as long as it doesn't intrude on my family's safety, security, and economic well being.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 08:06 AM

4,620 posts, read 6,215,937 times
If you look at voting patterns in the major Texas cities, these overall favour a progressive, activist role for government, and "liberal" social values. Conversely, the suburbs, smaller cities, and small towns of Texas generally reflect a norm of social conservatism and a Republican party line.

A lot of times (not just on this forum) there is a tendency to conflate a city and its suburbs. This will often give a very distorted picture of politics and social values. For example, a number of regular posters on this forum have asserted in the past that Austin is not really particularly liberal and that its liberal reputation is a stereotype. I counter: that's untrue if you are talking about the City of Austin within its city limits; but if you are including immediately outlying municipalities such as Round Rock, Pflugerville, Leander, etc, of course the overall area appears a lot more Republican and conservative. The same would be true, relatively speaking, for the City of Dallas, vs Dallas together with Grand Prairie, Mesquite, Irving, Plano, etc.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:13 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,628,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Perhaps we differ on what liberal means. If liberal means "accepting fringe behaviors of minority pockets of society" then I agree with you about the big cities.
Then we do agree. Because that was, in fact, my meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I really don't care what the "fringe" people do as long as it doesn't intrude on my family's safety, security, and economic well being.
On a "disagreeing" note, I am saddened every time I hear, see, or read this type of apathetic statement, it makes me realize how fast this country is on the road to societal disaster.

I have found very little that any group does that doesn't in some form or fashion affect us as a society at some point in time. For, in time, there will be disillusioned, anti-social, or simply "lost souls" who will grasp onto any "anti-norm" behavior for the fact that it's simply "anti-normal." This, in turn, generates a strong base for a movement that will eventually affect us all.

But, to each his/her own. I have no problem with people living the lives they want (for the most part) regardless of how mainstream or fringe it may be. It's when they try to force those behaviors or lifestyles on others as "normal" or attack mainstream with a string of derogatory terms for not embracing their ways/behaviors that I draw offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas