U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 AM

3,651 posts, read 1,962,128 times

Advertisements

I don't think I've ever seen a car on the left shoulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 11:54 AM

16,511 posts, read 23,015,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I've been wondering this for several years.
I lived in San Antonio and Houston, and I CANNOT understand why people get on the left shoulder of the highway when their car break.

I remember seeing one guy in San Antonio, his car broke on I-35 on the way to Austin.
He was on the left shoulder, had jacked up his truck and was working under it.

Some other day I was driving in Houston, a truck was doing about 50 on a 65 on the left lane.
I was getting p....ed off and started flashing my lights.
All of a sudden he put the blinkers on and stopped on the left shoulder
Why do you drive on the left lane if your car is about to break?

Anybody got any good explanation for this?
I may have discovered the reason that the OP apparently sees this "all the time" - he or she is part of the cause of the problem due to aggressive driving/incipient road rage.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:52 PM

2,313 posts, read 1,871,880 times
Only the left handed people use the left shoulder

Old 03-23-2012, 05:55 PM

10,725 posts, read 9,611,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I've been wondering this for several years.
I lived in San Antonio and Houston, and I CANNOT understand why people get on the left shoulder of the highway when their car break.

I remember seeing one guy in San Antonio, his car broke on I-35 on the way to Austin.
He was on the left shoulder, had jacked up his truck and was working under it.

Some other day I was driving in Houston, a truck was doing about 50 on a 65 on the left lane.
I was getting p....ed off and started flashing my lights.
All of a sudden he put the blinkers on and stopped on the left shoulder
Why do you drive on the left lane if your car is about to break?

Anybody got any good explanation for this?
I don't find that to be true at all. In fact, I have noticed the opposite. Persnally, always look for a right hand lane unless there it's not avaialble.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:19 PM

3,492 posts, read 3,227,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I don't find that to be true at all. In fact, I have noticed the opposite. Persnally, always look for a right hand lane unless there it's not avaialble.

I agree, vast majority of broken down cars use the left nor the right lane. Is that a sigm we are getting a higher portion of leaning that way? No, its always been this way

Old 03-23-2012, 11:18 PM

Johnhw2, where are you seeing all these cars on the left shoulder? You and the OP must be hanging out in the same place where none of the rest of us are!

I strongly doubt that politics has anything to do with it. For the vast majority of people, politics is not the be all/end all of life, because they actually HAVE lives.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:44 PM

10,460 posts, read 10,216,971 times
You gotta be kidding me...
I'm the only one that has seen this? (San Antonio and Houston)

It's not bias, I have actually counted them.
But I have to say, it's much worse in San Antonio than in Houston.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 PM

Yep, you appear to be the only one seeing this.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:07 PM

8,642 posts, read 16,425,760 times
I really don't see this happen that frequently either. I have seen it on rare occasions, but I figured that whatever happened happened very quickly while the driver was in the left hand lane and then either couldn't get over to the right because of traffic, or because they were afraid the car wouldn't make it across the freeway.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:06 AM

4,074 posts, read 4,149,938 times
It must be my lucky night, another thread dedicated to us Texans

I've been driving for years, both as a typical driver and as a commercial driver and I can count how many people I've seen using the left hand shoulder on one hand.

Now with that said, it's not easy safely controlling a light weight truck that just experienced a front tire blow out in the left lane while passing a semi-tractor. This happened to me and a friend once headed to Pecos. I can tell you now, the last thing that went through my mind was whether or not I was going to offend someone by using the left shoulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas