Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2006, 09:29 PM

20 posts, read 125,848 times

Advertisements

Hi - I've read some great info here, I hope someone will be able to help me too.

I'm looking for rural, out of town, uncrowded and DEFINITELY not a tract house in the suburbs. Need help learning about the upper left corner of Texas, particularly Adrian or Channing or thereabouts. Not Amarillo - looks nice to visit, but I don't want to live that close (or in) a city.

I'm in Colorado and researching a move. It's tough finding a realtor to help look for property - they want to sell the higher priced town properties.

- I'd like to hear what the weather is REALLY like in that area - there are sites that give the averages, but only real people can tell you what really happens :-)

- How are things like property taxes, utility bills, gas and food prices, land prices, sales taxes?

- How are the people in that general area? Accepting of foreign born people? My hubby is Romanian and has a strong accent. Some people don't treat foreign-born folks very nicely, even if they've been citizens for 20 years ...

- How do I find out about any kinds of tax breaks and such for having country property? I raise goats and sheep for my own use, may have llamas and alpacas for fiber (I'm a spinner/weaver). Would like to grow feed for the critters.

- What internet connections are available in the outer areas? It took years for the county seat here to get DSL, and 15 miles away it still isn't available. I have service from a wireless company that is hit-and-miss. Can't go back to dial-up, I run a business.

Thanks for any and all comments. I appreciate being able to ask these questions :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 03:49 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,744,867 times
Have you looked between Canyon and Amarillo, Texas? I have not been to the two areas you mentioned in MANY years but I have been thru Canyon and around Amarillo in the last year. There were many areas between the two w/ small farms and still "country", not crowded but still close to town or the city if need be. The area had grown since I was last thru there MANY years before but still more farm or small farms and not the cookie cutter tract home developments that you so often see. Good luck.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:43 PM

thanks, I'll check it out too :-)

I want to be far enough away from cities to feel "remote" but close enough to get decent internet connections (and a mocha when the cravings hit!)

Old 09-23-2006, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,597 times
Default on Adrian and Channing

Trust me, you don't want to move to either place. I lived most of my adult life in Amarillo and have a sister who lives in the area you are talking about and it is devoid of anything that would be considered favorable. Many feedlots that smell terrible, ugly scenery and backward people. Adrian has one retail establishment: a gas station on I-40 with some food.
The wind also blows so hard that the few trees in the area are permanently bent toward the northeast (southwesterly winds almost constant).

If you want to move to the Texas panhandle, consider the northeast part, around Canadian or Lipscomb. Very artistic area, progressive, and beautiful...

Old 09-25-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinthewriter View Post
Trust me, you don't want to move to either place... consider the northeast part, around Canadian or Lipscomb. Very artistic area, progressive, and beautiful...
thanks for the recommendation - I'll check it out too.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:14 AM

2 posts, read 14,638 times
I grew up in Amarillo, and unless you're on the rim of Palo Duro Canyon, or in Amarillo proper, the Panhandle can be pretty bleak (unless you just crave stark isolation). Canadian, TX, about 60 miles NE of Amarillo, is in a broad river valley with lots of cottonwoods and some interesting terrain. The town itself, while small, has at least a little bit of class. There's oil and cattle money there, which helps in that regard. It's been a while, but as I recall there are some creative types there, as well. Hope this helps.

b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas