Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 04:26 PM

976 posts, read 1,055,489 times

Advertisements

I came across this article (link below) about Texas Culture. While it had some good historical background, I found it to be a little extreme.

Does anyone else have any good articles about Texas today? Ones that talk about it in today's modern terms rather than this dramatic article stating it's a place where everyone can own a ranch and where we like having a governor who will shake his fist and threaten succession.

Lone Star Nation by Gregory Curtis | Byliner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 05:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
I came across this article (link below) about Texas Culture. While it had some good historical background, I found it to be a little extreme.

Does anyone else have any good articles about Texas today? Ones that talk about it in today's modern terms rather than this dramatic article stating it's a place where everyone can own a ranch and where we like having a governor who will shake his fist and threaten succession.

It is extreme in some aspects, but not a bad article overall. There are some good points, as well as some bad overall generalizations.

From the article:

"Faced with the ravages of the Comanches and the unchecked illegal immigration of the Anglos, the Mexican government envisioned the Anglo settlements as a potential buffer—or bait—for the Comanches and granted men known as impresarios the right to settle a number of families in large areas on the coastal plain north of the Gulf."

That is so typical of the Mexican government. It's no better today than it was then. Not only were they lazy cowards, they were (and still are today), on the whole, so incompetent that they couldn't even manage their own country!

Even when the US won large swaths of territory via the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo following the Mexican-American War, the Mexican government couldn't even decently manage what they had left.

They (the Mexican government) are still very much like that today. It's one of the big reasons they push illegal immigration to the United States....let the Americans take care of the poor and ignorant that we refuse to. We're idiots for tolerating that, but that's another story entirely.

Even though you may feel that the article is extreme, Texas has a history and a legacy unlike any other state in the United States.

As a native, I also wonder why anybody else cares what outsiders think of Texas. It is what it is!

Old 04-01-2012, 06:06 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
The article also states:

Quote:
By Texas law, the story of the revolution must be taught in Texas schools. School children are required to take Texas history, not once but twice—in the fourth grade and again in the seventh.
As far as I know, it's still a requirement in ALL undergraduate university degrees - a full semester of Texas History as part of the fulfillment of the history portion of required courses. At least it was when I was an undergrad.

I also had a comic book version of Texas history when I was in grammar school.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post

For articles about Texas today you probably can't do better then this Texas Monthly :: The National Magazine of Texas

Old 04-03-2012, 08:33 AM

687 posts, read 1,577,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
As a native, I also wonder why anybody else cares what outsiders think of Texas. It is what it is!
I tend to care how others view my state, but maybe that's just me. Given that we cannot realistically sustain ourselves as a completely insular state as I know a lot of the old timers would prefer, our image in the rest of the country as well as the world is pretty important if we want to continue to attract business and grow our economy.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
I tend to care how others view my state, but maybe that's just me. Given that we cannot realistically sustain ourselves as a completely insular state as I know a lot of the old timers would prefer, our image in the rest of the country as well as the world is pretty important if we want to continue to attract business and grow our economy.
Well, I would say that Texas is having very little trouble attracting businesses, people and growing its economy.

25 million and counting--it's changing and growing even as we speak, and that's not always for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: