Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 04:47 PM

17 posts, read 50,452 times

Advertisements

Moved to Texas six months ago and for purely medical reasons (honest!), I've been trying to find a local supplier of cannabis. It seems really contradictory to me that in this great state where the government stays out of everyone's business and everything from guns to pesticides to roadside vendors are either unregulated or have a very hands-off policy, that the state seems so backwards when it comes to medical marijuana.

Now, I'm not suggesting TX go the route of California, which when I left was being overrun by dispensaries and the herb was being smoked out in public virtually everywhere... but still, you would think that some of that libertarian tolerance would creep its way into the attitude against weed... at least on a medicinal level. And especially in this, a college town of all places.

What do you all think the future holds for medical MJ and the Lone Star state? Will we ever get more tolerant laws, or will the powers-that-be continue to find no way to distinguish between the life-destroying meth and the bag-of-Fritos-destroying spleef?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 05:06 PM

293 posts, read 730,397 times
This doesn't seem like a very Austin-centric topic, should probably go in the Texas forum. That being said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieconcarne View Post
It seems really contradictory to me that in this great state where the government stays out of everyone's business and everything from guns to pesticides to roadside vendors are either unregulated or have a very hands-off policy, that the state seems so backwards when it comes to medical marijuana.
It's politics, hypocrisy is required.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:33 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,718 times
Quote:
It seems really contradictory to me that in this great state where the government stays out of everyone's business and everything from guns to pesticides to roadside vendors are either unregulated or have a very hands-off policy, that the state seems so backwards when it comes to medical marijuana.
Being from California, I thought you realized Texas is a conservative, southern state. A state is know for its protestant Bible-thumping zealotry as well as unique southern accents. A cowboy culture which likes big hair, big steaks, and many times has even bigger attitudes. We do BIG things. A state where a significant portion of the population believe themselves Texans first and Americans second. (And, a significant portion of those people wouldn't mind Texas secede from the Union!) A state which nearly for 15+ years has been dominated near-exclusively by culturally-conservative Republicans.

-Or, were you too stoned to notice? I'm guessing the latter..

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 03-05-2011 at 07:06 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 07:01 PM

370 posts, read 999,351 times
Quote:
..., that the state seems so backwards when it comes to medical marijuana.

Austin IS the Capitol of the United States of Texas
There are 49 other little towns, but who cares

Perhaps we are backwards to "medical marijuana" ...
Because other is easier to get

Just Guessin

Old 03-06-2011, 09:29 PM

17 posts, read 50,452 times
I don't see what Texas being a southern state filled with conservatives has to do with compassion. Again, I'm not talking about legalizing weed for the weekend party people who get some shady doctor to sign off so they can legally get a stash... but dispensaries that truly serve those with a legitimate medical need.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:59 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Or we could just stop with the farce completely and legalize / tax weed. That would take care of most of the federal deficit and state budget shortfalls.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Yes, but it's not going to happen. Better to be 'virtuous' and let the public school system disintegrate.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:11 AM

580 posts, read 1,081,647 times
Texas as a whole being very Conservative notwithstanding, Marijuana should totally be legalized. If cigarettes and alcohol are legal, marijuana should also be. Simply ridiculous that it isn't.

Anyway, I don't know if this state will legalize it, even for medical purposes, in the near future, but I would certainly like to see it happen.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:24 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
If alcohol is legal, weed should be legal. Never heard of a DWH (driving while high)...

Old 03-07-2011, 06:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Because Texas politicians are idiots and don't know **** about running a state. Legalize weed and gambling and than put a tax on it. Bam, get rid of our budget deficit and go on about our life. Were out here crying over drug wars and budget deficits when this could all be settled quite easily.

Instead the state is too busy trying to implement gun laws on college campuses and cut education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas