U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-02-2012, 12:40 AM

3,224 posts, read 2,459,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You mean real food? Lol

All you have to do is take a regular piece of FC, put on way too much seasoning and MSG, add a bunch of moisture to make it soggy, and you'll have KFC's Original Recipe.
I thought it was fried too...I always get the original recipe, but when Clarence referenced "original recipe" as if it wasnt fried it made me think I was ordering something else...I just didnt say nothing...so yeah...original recipe is what i was describing Clarence
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 01:25 AM

681 posts, read 753,660 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to Beaumont or Port Arthur? Those folks have some of the thickest drawls you'll hear in the state.
I get asked about my accent alot here in Houston and when I travel around Texas in general. We do have a drawl and our area is very southern with a strong Cajun flare which makes it very different from the rest of East Texas.

Houston
Dallas
Lubbock
Corpus Christi
San Antonio
Austin

San Antonio and Austin don't feel southern at all IMO.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 AM

18,516 posts, read 16,492,210 times
Quote:
Htown, have you ever tried Potato Patch? They're supposed to have good fried chicken.
Can't say that I have. Will have to give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Who cares? Fried Chicken is nasty and gives you diabeetus. KFC Original Recipe FTW.
Nonsence. My friend lowered her blood sugar levels (along with her cholesterol and body fat by eating mainly fried chicken (KFC at that) on one of those reduced fat diets.

Like Nairobi said Poor Nutrition (and genetics) along with poor exercise cause diabetes

Old 05-02-2012, 12:29 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,410,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Can't say that I have. Will have to give it a try.

Nonsence. My friend lowered her blood sugar levels (along with her cholesterol and body fat by eating mainly fried chicken (KFC at that) on one of those reduced fat diets.

Like Nairobi said Poor Nutrition (and genetics) along with poor exercise cause diabetes
It is pretty good. It's like a non-chain Cracker Barrel. They throw you the rolls and muffins. You get free friend green tomatoes and okra for appetizers. It's right outside of Gunspoint.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:08 AM

755 posts, read 682,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Rank by % of Southern Baptists (done by county, as data per city is unavailable.)

1) Lubbock (36.6%)
2) Houston (28.3%)
3) Corpus Christi (24.8%)
4) Dallas (23.1%)
5) Austin (20.6%)
6) San Antonio (13.2%)
That is a good indicator, in my opinion. Or perhaps ranking cities by percent of all fundamentalists.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:03 AM
Status: " On and off line interchangeably" (set 6 days ago)

9,823 posts, read 11,312,745 times
Quote:
Rank by % of Southern Baptists (done by county, as data per city is unavailable.)

1) Lubbock (36.6%)
2) Houston (28.3%)
3) Corpus Christi (24.8%)
4) Dallas (23.1%)
5) Austin (20.6%)
6) San Antonio (13.2%)
This IS a good one, although I can't quite agree with the ranking, overall. Still though, RDFW, these are interesting stats and confirm the opinions of me and some others that even west Texas has strong Southern components in it...especially when it comes to religion (and speech, etc).

Anyway, to preface even more, I venture to say that ANY city in Texas has some degree of Southern influence. I mean, even El Paso has a Confederate monument on the courthouse lawn and the county supported secession....

But still (and adopting Spades way of offsetting and listing...)

1. Houston
2. Dallas
3. Austin

4. San Antonio
5. Corpus Christi
6. Lubbock.

Yeah, I know at first glance it might seem stupid to rank Austin and San Antonio so high. Even Dallas. BUT...I am not necessarily considering it from how thing are today, but the total history and culture of the city itself from the beginning. San Antonio, for instance, even touts itself in tourist literature as a "Blend of the Old South and Old Mexico."

Get off the beaten path in the DFW metroplex, and the South is very evident. There are areas in Dallas where one would not know they were not in Jackson, Mississippi. Same with Austin...

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-06-2012 at 08:15 AM..

Old 05-06-2012, 02:39 PM

8,937 posts, read 5,917,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
This IS a good one, although I can't quite agree with the ranking, overall. Still though, RDFW, these are interesting stats and confirm the opinions of me and some others that even west Texas has strong Southern components in it...especially when it comes to religion (and speech, etc).

Anyway, to preface even more, I venture to say that ANY city in Texas has some degree of Southern influence. I mean, even El Paso has a Confederate monument on the courthouse lawn and the county supported secession....

1. Houston
2. Dallas
3. Austin

4. San Antonio
5. Corpus Christi
6. Lubbock.

Yeah, I know at first glance it might seem stupid to rank Austin and San Antonio so high. Even Dallas. BUT...I am not necessarily considering it from how thing are today, but the total history and culture of the city itself from the beginning. San Antonio, for instance, even touts itself in tourist literature as a "Blend of the Old South and Old Mexico."

Get off the beaten path in the DFW metroplex, and the South is very evident. There are areas in Dallas where one would not know they were not in Jackson, Mississippi. Same with Austin...
Yes! Exactly.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM

908 posts, read 683,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

1. Houston
2. Dallas
3. Austin

4. San Antonio
5. Corpus Christi
6. Lubbock.

Well, ranking the "Southern-ness" of these cities is pretty subjective.
I know it's probably not the best way to rate them (heck, I don't think there is a clear-cut way to accurately rank these cities), but it's just something I wanted to more or less "throw out there."

I also found this map that I think also proves your point about Southern religious influences in West Texas.

Many of those West Texas counties are actually more Baptist than East Texas ... found that a bit surprising.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:25 PM

908 posts, read 683,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
That is a good indicator, in my opinion. Or perhaps ranking cities by percent of all fundamentalists.
Eh, the only data I can find for fundamentalists is per state. ((Texas is towards the top of course))

Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 PM

8,937 posts, read 5,917,127 times
Quote:

Many of those West Texas counties are actually more Baptist than East Texas ... found that a bit surprising.
That is an interesting point. Northwest/Panhandle Texas seems to be more Baptist than the entire south in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas