U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-02-2012, 10:51 PM

8,774 posts, read 4,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yeah, but East Texas is very different from the gulf area.
North Louisiana is different from South Louisiana, North Mississippi is different from Gulf Coast Mississippi, etc. Grouping in Houston with the rest of East Texas makes perfect sense, to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-03-2012, 06:39 AM

9,622 posts, read 9,941,276 times
Quote:
Same thing with Tensas, I felt like the Panhandle area was similar to Kansas and Nebraska with more of a reliance on agriculture, and I liked Tensas better than Tebraska, but either would work I think.
As always, during the workweek, I have such limited time to read and reply! And then, during early mornings and evenings, too tired to make much sense! LOL

But anyway, I don't think I was very clear yesterday regarding the panhandle area. The upper panhandle? Yes, it has features (including that of culture and settlement) which have a great deal in common with the Plains Midwest of Kansas, Nebraska, etc. But I really can't go along with the rest of west Texas, except perhaps topgraphically. There are just too many basically Southern influences (church membership, speech, settlement, etc) that differ quite a bit from the plains states north of Oklahoma. But still, that is just MHO, nothing at all against your own criteria and opinions!

BTW -- what program do you use to make these maps? It would be interesting for those of us (like me! LOL) who don't know how, to draw our own for comparrison and discussion, etc.

Gotta get to work. Y'all all have a nice day!

Unread 05-03-2012, 06:40 AM

12,647 posts, read 12,783,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
North Louisiana is different from South Louisiana, North Mississippi is different from Gulf Coast Mississippi, etc. Grouping in Houston with the rest of East Texas makes perfect sense, to me.
Not to me. But that is one man's opinion.

Unread 05-03-2012, 07:09 AM

104 posts, read 38,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

If I wasnt black and had absolutely no interaction with black people, your statement wouldnt make any sense at all.

Unread 05-03-2012, 07:34 AM

120 posts, read 102,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
As always, during the workweek, I have such limited time to read and reply! And then, during early mornings and evenings, too tired to make much sense! LOL

But anyway, I don't think I was very clear yesterday regarding the panhandle area. The upper panhandle? Yes, it has features (including that of culture and settlement) which have a great deal in common with the Plains Midwest of Kansas, Nebraska, etc. But I really can't go along with the rest of west Texas, except perhaps topgraphically. There are just too many basically Southern influences (church membership, speech, settlement, etc) that differ quite a bit from the plains states north of Oklahoma. But still, that is just MHO, nothing at all against your own criteria and opinions!

BTW -- what program do you use to make these maps? It would be interesting for those of us (like me! LOL) who don't know how, to draw our own for comparrison and discussion, etc.

Gotta get to work. Y'all all have a nice day!
Oh, ok, I see. I thought you were just politely saying that my map was complete *******s. Anyway, I am just using MS paint to make the maps. I have downloaded a blank county map of Texas and I just use the fill tool to color them in one at a time. I am looking for a better program myself, if I find one, I will let you know.

Edit: Humm, I didn't think that word would be censored. Must be a British thing.

Last edited by Texas Liberal; 05-03-2012 at 08:29 AM..

Unread 05-03-2012, 08:10 AM

517 posts, read 402,695 times
My take:

Love this thread!
I have my own mapping program so I can spit these out really quick....
I'm not getting the Texafornia region. Is it culture or more along the lines of heavy population? My Texafornia/Texaslyvania (urban state without the baggage of California ) region follows the main urban counties of Texas. The 35-45-10 "triangle" and surrounding counties and is not really cultural based.
My cultural map of Texas-texas1.jpg

Unread 05-03-2012, 09:06 AM

120 posts, read 102,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
My take:

Love this thread!
I have my own mapping program so I can spit these out really quick....
I'm not getting the Texafornia region. Is it culture or more along the lines of heavy population? My Texafornia/Texaslyvania (urban state without the baggage of California ) region follows the main urban counties of Texas. The 35-45-10 "triangle" and surrounding counties and is not really cultural based.
Attachment 94798
Nice map! I like your thoughts about Texaslyvania. Which program are you using? Is there a trial version available? It takes me a while to make a map in Paint.

Unread 05-03-2012, 09:17 AM

8,774 posts, read 4,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illủmiñatex View Post
If I wasnt black and had absolutely no interaction with black people, your statement wouldnt make any sense at all.
I am black but have no idea what you're talking about.

Unread 05-03-2012, 10:15 AM

517 posts, read 402,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Liberal View Post
Nice map! I like your thoughts about Texaslyvania. Which program are you using? Is there a trial version available? It takes me a while to make a map in Paint.
I have MapInfo on my personal computers, and I've used ArcGIS a lot. Both aren't cheap...

Like using the 5 regions to go along with the fact at one time Texas could have broken into 5 states, but if we were to have more, maybe something like this:

More evenly split on culture, physical landscape and economy, instead of just culture.
Texowa: Iowa....agriculture dominate
Tekota: Dakotas....oil/ranching/ag (Edit: Wyoming would also fit, and maybe more so culturally as well?)
Texazona: Arizona....southwestern/desert
Texanois: Illinois....midwestern like, chicago/dallas
Texolina: Carolinas....Parts still very southern, parts urbanized, parts forested, rice production in South Carolina fits with rice along upper Texas coast.
Texaslyvania: Pennslyvania....urban yet rural feel, hills, lots of Germans in both areas
Texatecas: Zacatecas, Mexico....fairly self-explanatory

Judge away!
My cultural map of Texas-texas.gif

Unread 05-03-2012, 08:31 PM

15,753 posts, read 17,538,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
I have MapInfo on my personal computers, and I've used ArcGIS a lot. Both aren't cheap...

Like using the 5 regions to go along with the fact at one time Texas could have broken into 5 states, but if we were to have more, maybe something like this:

More evenly split on culture, physical landscape and economy, instead of just culture.
Texowa: Iowa....agriculture dominate
Tekota: Dakotas....oil/ranching/ag (Edit: Wyoming would also fit, and maybe more so culturally as well?)
Texazona: Arizona....southwestern/desert
Texanois: Illinois....midwestern like, chicago/dallas
Texolina: Carolinas....Parts still very southern, parts urbanized, parts forested, rice production in South Carolina fits with rice along upper Texas coast.
Texaslyvania: Pennslyvania....urban yet rural feel, hills, lots of Germans in both areas
Texatecas: Zacatecas, Mexico....fairly self-explanatory

Judge away!
Attachment 94801
I agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas