Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 06:54 PM

92 posts, read 672,779 times

Advertisements

Asbestos? Good question...as a Texas home inspector, all I can do is look and take an educated guess...
In Texas (in contrast w/northern U.S. coastlines which still have some homes with asbestos-wrapped furnace ducts), primary suspects here are:
Pre-1977 or so "popcorn" textured ceilings;
"loose fill" attic insulation (containing vermiculite); and
some pre-1977 or so vinyl floor tiles and its adhesives ...

One of the keys terms regarding asbestos "danger" is the term "friable", (break-offable, or air-borneable):
Asbestos exterior siding materials applied through the 60's or so, for example, are not very friable, and don't present much of a problem if left alone...
(If one remodels and plans to remove such siding, you'll probably have to call authorities.)
I personally wouldn't mind living in a home with asbestos-containing popcorn textured ceilings, provided they were painted over by an asbestos-experienced pro who knows they are painting over asbestos.

There are some "sample-yourself-and-send-it-in" home asbestos test kits available..(Google "asbestos home test"....) I don't know of anyone who's used one, but suggest that if one does, check to see that analysis lab is "National Voluntary Laboratory Accreditation Program" i.e. approved by the EPA.
For some more useful info about asbestos in homes, see EPA's website below:

www.epa.gov/oppt/asbestos/pubs/ashome.html#Home

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 10:55 AM

437 posts, read 2,233,709 times
Well, now that it is winter and my house didn't sell. I guess we will be waiting till Jan to start all over again. I sure had hopes I would be in Texas by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas