Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:09 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times

Advertisements

As far as violence, I had a friend (16 years old) beat to death by other teens with sledgehammers. It's not very safe... lots of murder and kidnapping for such a small community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 09:23 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
ugh!!! i had a temporary job in a dreadful little hospital there---gang shootings, yucky protoplasm with the local residents. sorry to you all relegated to living in big spring---but that place is the worst place in the great state of texas!!!!!

Old 05-23-2007, 11:48 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,346 times
Dont knock Big Spring I worked at the State Hospital their theirs really fine folks their.and a pizza inn.and Howard College. never lived their but I did make trips to shop and eat in Big Spring.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:04 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
Fine folks at the state hospital...? Are we talking about the employees or the residents

Old 05-24-2007, 10:24 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
My grandmother went to High School in Big Spring. She hated it until the day she died, but she was only there for a short time. Apparently the kids were pretty horrible to her. It was 1930, and she was a daughter of a wildcatter, raised only by him as her own mother died. Don't know how much has changed but I always thought it was neat that my sorta-Yankee grandma went to high school in Texas!

Old 05-25-2007, 12:11 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,346 times
Thumbs up The employee's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Fine folks at the state hospital...? Are we talking about the employees or the residents
I was talking about the employees,sorry .But I do belive Big Spring has a lot to offer like Movie theater's a small mall etc.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:07 PM
WLB

2 posts, read 11,394 times
Default Big Spring, Texas

The City of Big Spring is looking for pioneers. 1000 progressive newcommers could change the political climate of this town and rid it of a long endured oppression. Geographically it is a rather stunning place. Climate wise it is very livable. Property values are low and there are some incredible residential properties. The service industry sucks big time, restaurants don't meet the minimum standards of most other towns, grocery stores are limited at best to the quality of goods and it is not a town you can buy a suit or sport jacket in. However, it has the potential of being a happening town, a Little Austin. By virtue of location it will not be a town that dies. There is already a population of several hundred well educated and progressive people here. We tend not to frequent local establishments but instead socialize privately. We tend not to be the standard fundemental religious nuts that all too often you run into here. Big Spring is currently the elderly capital of all Texas Counties. The average age is 56 years. Don't go by census data, it includes close to 7000 prisioneers in Federal and State facilities. The actual population is closer to 19,000. In the last election 2,200 people showed up to vote, 12,900 stayed at home. Big Spring can be a place of opportunity for the right pioneer. It is a town whose geographic attributes could make it the Santa Fe of Texas. Of course it will take the right kind of pioneer. Moderator cut: insulting remark But again it is an elderly county and these people leave us frequently and find the big wal-mart in the sky. The soil is great. You can grow grapes and make wine here. Average rainfall is triple of San Diego. There is an International Airport 50 miles away in Midland. Sure, the town is still a **** hole to the naked eye but with some creative thought and spirit, it could turn around in the blink of an eye. Creativity, thought and spirit is something this town has lacked for way too long.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 06-14-2007 at 11:15 AM..

Old 06-13-2007, 07:49 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
absolutely agree with WLB. i have a good friend there and he keeps asking me if i would consider moving there, just dont like the options i would have as an RN there-i prefer to work in a large TDCJ prison, not the privatized one they have there, nor the federal.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:37 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,278,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLB View Post
The City of Big Spring is looking for pioneers. 1000 progressive newcommers could change the political climate of this town and rid it of a long endured oppression. Geographically it is a rather stunning place. Climate wise it is very livable. Property values are low and there are some incredible residential properties. The service industry sucks big time, restaurants don't meet the minimum standards of most other towns, grocery stores are limited at best to the quality of goods and it is not a town you can buy a suit or sport jacket in. However, it has the potential of being a happening town, a Little Austin. By virtue of location it will not be a town that dies. There is already a population of several hundred well educated and progressive people here. We tend not to frequent local establishments but instead socialize privately. We tend not to be the standard fundemental religious nuts that all too often you run into here. Big Spring is currently the elderly capital of all Texas Counties. The average age is 56 years. Don't go by census data, it includes close to 7000 prisioneers in Federal and State facilities. The actual population is closer to 19,000. In the last election 2,200 people showed up to vote, 12,900 stayed at home. Big Spring can be a place of opportunity for the right pioneer. It is a town whose geographic attributes could make it the Santa Fe of Texas. Of course it will take the right kind of pioneer. Moderator cut: insulting remarks But again it is an elderly county and these people leave us frequently and find the big wal-mart in the sky. The soil is great. You can grow grapes and make wine here. Average rainfall is triple of San Diego. There is an International Airport 50 miles away in Midland. Sure, the town is still a **** hole to the naked eye but with some creative thought and spirit, it could turn around in the blink of an eye. Creativity, thought and spirit is something this town has lacked for way too long.
What an insulting post. I am sorry WLB, but you don't sound very progressive to me. I like the idea of transforming Big Spring and restoring the city to some of its former prosperity but "pioneers" like you would be less than useless for this purpose. Moderator cut: personal attack
You choose to socialize privately? What the hell is the matter with you? Do you really believe that you are better than anyone else? *spoilers* You're not. *end spoilers* Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 06-14-2007 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: You can attack a poster's ideas, but not the poster himself. Please see the rules.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:09 PM
WLB

2 posts, read 11,394 times
Default big spring forum

there is a local web forum in big spring that provides dialouge on subjects and concerns for the people who live here in Big Spring. you may read and or post there.
B.S.F. provided by Bravenet.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas