Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is East Texas the Deep South?
Yes 175 73.53%
No 63 26.47%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 08:16 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Cathy, I can't tell you how many times my hopes have been raised by seeing grits on the menu, and then dashed when they're delivered to my table.

I don't know how so many people can mess up cooking something as elementary as grits - but some "grits" are simply, well, a travesty of gritness!
I don't see how they can mess up cooking something as ordinary as grits, either.

They should arrive at the table moist, but you have to drown them in something (gravy, butter, cheese, salt/pepper/whatever you can find) before they're edible. I had an aunt that liked them with butter, cream and sugar.

They're OK in dishes where they're mixed with a lot of goodies (cheese, spices and shrimp, for instance), but as far as having them on a breakfast plate......uh...no, not given a choice! I guess I've never encountered the "travesty of gritness", since I rarely ever eat them, LOL!

I have to ask....what are cat's head biscuits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 08:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I don't see how they can mess up cooking something as ordinary as grits, either.

They should arrive at the table moist, but you have to drown them in something (gravy, butter, cheese, salt/pepper/whatever you can find) before they're edible. I had an aunt that liked them with butter, cream and sugar.

They're OK in dishes where they're mixed with a lot of goodies (cheese, spices and shrimp, for instance), but as far as having them on a breakfast plate......uh...no, not given a choice! I guess I've never encountered the "travesty of gritness", since I rarely ever eat them, LOL!

I have to ask....what are cat's head biscuits?
LOL they are biscuits that are as big as a cat's head!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
LOL they are biscuits that are as big as a cat's head!
Oh....OK, LOL!! I thought maybe they were a specific recipe or something!

Hot cheese grits with green chile or jalapenos are pretty good breakfast fare--has plenty of tasty ingredients (garlic, cheese, salt, green chile, Worchestershire sauce) to mask the blandness, LOL!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Oh....OK, LOL!! I thought maybe they were a specific recipe or something!

Hot cheese grits with green chile or jalapenos are pretty good breakfast fare--has plenty of tasty ingredients (garlic, cheese, salt, green chile, Worchestershire sauce) to mask the blandness, LOL!
GIRL. Now you're cookin'!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:40 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
If most folks wouldn't see this as the Deep South, I'm not sure what else would qualify

Video: Fort Worth's Brazos Films releases new trailer for One Square Mile - Kennard, Texas - YouTube

Old 07-08-2012, 08:46 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Regarding the accents, Kathryn, doc, and Tex Reb all made some considerable points on the issue.

There, of course, is no one "East Texas accent". Down in Houston and Beaumont, we don't sound much at all like folks from Texarkana. Many natives in the former have a non-rhotic drawl, in which the r's are often not pronounced in words like hard, here, and hair. In a lot of Northeast Texas, however, they're heavier on the r's, with "here" often sounding like "hure". I've heard this as far west as Fort Worth.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
GIRL. Now you're cookin'!
Breakfast will be served at 9am tomorrow......

Old 07-08-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Regarding the accents, Kathryn, doc, and Tex Reb all made some considerable points on the issue.

There, of course, is no one "East Texas accent". Down in Houston and Beaumont, we don't sound much at all like folks from Texarkana. Many natives in the former have a non-rhotic drawl, in which the r's are often not pronounced in words like hard, here, and hair. In a lot of Northeast Texas, however, they're heavier on the r's, with "here" often sounding like "hure". I've heard this as far west as Fort Worth.
Right on.

The first thing that jumped out to this girl who had just moved to Texas after spending 13 years in Georgia and Alabama was the whole "lat" thing - as in "Ah'll be rat back. Got to turn out the lat - it's too brat in hair."

WHAT?????? I honestly didn't quite catch what they were saying at first!

Old 07-08-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Breakfast will be served at 9am tomorrow......
Yeee haw! Kin Ah brang mah arhn skillet 'n' cook up sum aigs?

Now - twenty years ago in Geahhhhhgia, I would have said, "Greeeeeaaaat, cahn ah bring mah EYE-ron skillit ayund cook us up some ehhhhhgs?" Slower, less "clip and twang!"

Old 07-08-2012, 09:20 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
If most folks wouldn't see this as the Deep South, I'm not sure what else would qualify

Video: Fort Worth's Brazos Films releases new trailer for One Square Mile - Kennard, Texas - YouTube
I think one might be able to muddle around with Upper East Texas enough to make an argument for or against it being the deep south if we press the issue. But once you get down around Lufkin, Huntsville, New Waverly, or Cold Springs, that whole "East Texas" (without any distinctions) not being the deep south argument becomes EXTREMELY shaky. By really any standard, Deep East Texas can only be considered the Deep South -- to the extent that there is a deep south at all. Im not saying that because I want Deep East Texas to be considered one thing or the other..Im not from there, and I dont live there anymore...but as someone who has lived in both East Texas and Deep East Texas, anywhere around Huntsville, Lufkin, Jasper or points in between would just as easily pass for Mississippi...now we can muddle around with Tyler, Longview, Marshall to some extent but actual Deep East Texas? Although there will never be a true consensus, that part isnt even debatable in my opinion, without compromising the entire definition of the deep south as a whole.

You get back off in those woods and you dont even see many cowboys to tell the truth...you see a lot of very, very poor farmers - black and white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas