U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-26-2012, 09:16 PM

875 posts, read 1,428,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtall View Post
I grew up in CA, having an In-N-Out burger under the palm trees. I was spoiled having the best burger known to man at my fingertips.

Now I live in TX, and I was told that nothing compares to Whataburger.

HA! Whatajoke! The burgers I had there were pathetic compared to In-N-Out. The taste does not even compare. In-N-Out serves burgers, I must sadly admit that what Whataburger sells does not deserve to be called a burger.

You Texans have not truly lived until you have had an In-N-Out burger!

I am thankful that there is finally something redeeming about TX, and that is that you now have an In-N-Out burger!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-26-2012, 09:32 PM

5,181 posts, read 2,986,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I have had the fortune to have eaten both Whataburger and In-and-out burgers. I have to admit a preference for Whataburger, hands down.

I have to compare In-and-Out best to McDonalds burgers. McDonalds used to sell a burger that had fresh lettuce and tomato that was very similar to an In-and-Out.

I do think that there are better burgers than Whataburger, notably the homemade style burgers in many dives. I enjoyed Fatburger very much, FiveGuys has a better burger, and lots of other mom and pop joints make a better burger. Squeeze Inn in Sacramento is a great burger.

Whataburger has always been best in the shops along the coast for some reason. Salt in the air or something, but they always seem to taste better in Corpus or Port A. They are a style of burger that has a devoted following, but even the die-hards agree that there are other good burgers out there.

For me, In-and-Out is a dud. Most unremarkable burger I have had the last dozen times I ate them.

The remarkable part is how you figured out the were a dud the last dozen times you ate them.......nice try!

Consumer Reports:
For burger fans, the best restaurants include In-N-Out Burger, rated highest of all 53 chains, Burgerville (39 in Oregon and Washington), Five Guys Burgers and Fries (750 nationwide and in Canada), Culver's (428 mainly in the Midwest), and Back Yard Burgers (120 mostly in the South and East).

Best Fast Food Chains: Consumer Reports Survey

Zagat's Survey:
Best Burger

1. Five Guys
  2. In-N-Out Burger (dont see Whataburger!?)
  3. Wendy's
  4. Burger King
  5. McDonald's
Top Food

1. In-N-Out Burger
  2. Chick-fil-A
  3. Papa Murphy's
  4. Five Guys
  5. Chipotle Mexican Grill
Fast Food Survey | Zagat

The Top 13 Fast Food Chains

1. In-N-Out Burger
2. Chic-fila
3. Wendys
4. McDonalds
5. Whataburger (wow they showed up)
6. Arbys
7. Taco Johns
8. Checkers/Rallys
9. Dairy Queen
10. Fatburger
11. Popeyes
12. Jimmy Johns
13. White Castle
The Top 13 Fast Food Chains | The Top 13 | www.thetop13.com

Unread 05-26-2012, 11:18 PM
JJG

9,104 posts, read 8,536,058 times
I was interested in In-N-Out, but I think it was overhyped.

It's.... ok. Just ok. There's a Carl Jr.'s (another Cali chain) in the Houston area I go to sometimes. It's WAY better.

As a born and raised Texan, I think Whataburger is decent, but nothing to brag about. Hell, DQ has better burgers.

But I am a Burger King guy, always have been, always will be. Fuddrucker's and Steak N' Shake are also better, if ya ask me.

Also, as someone who's into urban development and design as I am, I hate the orientation of the ONE In-N-Out we have in Fort Worth. Most of the windows and main entrance are away from the main street.

Last edited by JJG; 05-26-2012 at 11:31 PM..

Unread 05-26-2012, 11:24 PM

764 posts, read 529,084 times
Carls Jr. is good but I always preferred their flame broiled chicken sandwiches (with BBQ sauce) more than I did their burgers. But their burgers were good too.

Unread 05-26-2012, 11:37 PM
JJG

9,104 posts, read 8,536,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
Carls Jr. is good but I always preferred their flame broiled chicken sandwiches (with BBQ sauce) more than I did their burgers. But their burgers were good too.
Actually, now that you mention it, my REAL favorite burger place is now long gone. It was in Hulen Mall and it was called Flamer's Grill (no, I'm not making that up for jokes) and had the best Charbroiled burgers you could eat.

But then Sonic took over and when I saw that, I nearly threw up in their faces. That was a childhood memory taken away...

Unread 05-27-2012, 07:43 AM

3,199 posts, read 2,281,479 times
Assuming some one who eats in n out burgers a dozen times must like them misses the real reason in n out is highly rated. Its just a burger but it is inexpensive. I go there often to have a regular burger, nothing fancy about it even with cheese on it but at the price its a good value. Five guys is highly over priced no want its twice as good as in n out burger but it cost me more than double to eat there. Burger street is where I go for a good greasy burger which makes a burger good but bad for me.

Unread 05-27-2012, 11:23 AM

551 posts, read 540,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
The remarkable part is how you figured out the were a dud the last dozen times you ate them.......nice try!
I can't speak for the original poster but I live in this place called "society" where I'll often compromise and go to restaurants I'm not particularly fond of if the rest of the group seems to want to go there. I'm not saying I consider In and Out a dud, but it's entirely possible to think that way and still occasionally eat there.

Unread 05-27-2012, 11:30 AM

573 posts, read 368,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtall View Post
I grew up in CA, having an In-N-Out burger under the palm trees. I was spoiled having the best burger known to man at my fingertips.
Oh I don't know, I went to an In-N-Out burger place in California when I lived there, and they would not put mayo on my burger for anything, and told me they didn't even have any. They were pretty smug about it too.

For me mayo on my burger is standard and mandatory, and I don't care what some chain or anyone else thinks of that. I never went to another In-N-Out burger and never will.

Unread 05-27-2012, 02:12 PM

713 posts, read 548,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post

Consumer Reports:
For burger fans, the best restaurants include In-N-Out Burger, rated highest of all 53 chains, Burgerville (39 in Oregon and Washington), Five Guys Burgers and Fries (750 nationwide and in Canada), Culver's (428 mainly in the Midwest), and Back Yard Burgers (120 mostly in the South and East).

Best Fast Food Chains: Consumer Reports Survey

Zagat's Survey:
Best Burger

1. Five Guys
  2. In-N-Out Burger (dont see Whataburger!?)
  3. Wendy's
  4. Burger King
  5. McDonald's
Top Food

1. In-N-Out Burger
  2. Chick-fil-A
  3. Papa Murphy's
  4. Five Guys
  5. Chipotle Mexican Grill
Fast Food Survey | Zagat

The Top 13 Fast Food Chains

1. In-N-Out Burger
2. Chic-fila
3. Wendys
4. McDonalds
5. Whataburger (wow they showed up)
6. Arbys
7. Taco Johns
8. Checkers/Rallys
9. Dairy Queen
10. Fatburger
11. Popeyes
12. Jimmy Johns
13. White Castle
The Top 13 Fast Food Chains | The Top 13 | www.thetop13.com
Those lists are bogus, IMHO. In-n-out shouldn't be anywhere near the top. Mc Donald's shouldn't be either, since their burgers are just plain disgusting. I' am sure that there are other burger chains in this country (not including Whataburger) that are better and should be at the top of that list. Like I said though, Whataburger taste much better (even the jr. burgers are good; much better than the likes of Mc Donalds).

Unread 05-27-2012, 03:08 PM

5,181 posts, read 2,986,231 times
That may be your opinion but those lists are consistent. In N Out is always at or near the top.
You get good fresh food comparable at twice the price, can't be said about other fast food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas