Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HOT: Which city do you most NOT like?
Austin 12 23.08%
Dallas 19 36.54%
Houston 21 40.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:47 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,797,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I would bet that you get headaches in NV/AZ because of dehydration. Enough water makes all the difference in the world.

I even had to learn to drink more when I moved to NM/CO.
I was told that, and I tried, but can't drink enough of the stuff

plus alcohol in Vegas never helps

My skin cracks easily in NV/ AZ too. I grew up in prune weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 12:02 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,264,049 times
Studies show that most people don't drink enough water, and even those who think they're drinking enough really aren't. I typically drink a gallon of water each day.

Dry heat still annoys me.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:42 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,395,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Studies show that most people don't drink enough water, and even those who think they're drinking enough really aren't. I typically drink a gallon of water each day.

Does Kool-Aid count as drinking water since its 99.999 water?

Old 05-29-2012, 01:03 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,797,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I was told that, and I tried, but can't drink enough of the stuff

plus alcohol in Vegas never helps

My skin cracks easily in NV/ AZ too. I grew up in prune weather
Yep, the booze will do it as far as dehydration, LOL!!

Since I've always lived in a dry climate (except for brief nightmare periods in MS and the Rio Grande Valley)--and lotion/chapstick are among the necessities of life!

I didn't need either one in MS, but the hot, sticky weather made the shirt stick to my back (I had to go in and out all day to the field from an AC-freezing office trailer) and my hair frizzed like crazy.

I took at least 2 showers a day (and 3 on the weekends)...and I could never feel clean. I really couldn't take something like the Carribbean at all. I'd die...

Old 05-29-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:

And I can barely manage the occasional 3 quarts on a good day and 2 on the not-so-good days. I hate drinking all that water, but it's necessary.

I doubt I could drink a gallon a day unless I were outside exercising in the extreme heat--which I never do. Indoor pools and home gyms are lifesavers.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:38 PM

8,746 posts, read 8,997,553 times
I've lived out here in West or West Central Texas for most of my life and I've been to Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio in the summer months many times. I went to Houston once during August. They are all hot and humid to me! Honestly, the hottest summer I remember was actually in San Antonio one time. I was down there for a week visting family and it was very hot and extremely humid every day I was there. It was a steam bath that week! That week I spent in Houston in August was also as steam bath...lol.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:30 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,264,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Does Kool-Aid count as drinking water since its 99.999 water?
Yes, it is water, but it's also a ton of sugar and empty calories, which pretty much defeat the purpose of the benefits that water is supposed to give you.

I only measure the amount of pure water that I drink.

Quote:
Yep, the booze will do it as far as dehydration, LOL!!

Since I've always lived in a dry climate (except for brief nightmare periods in MS and the Rio Grande Valley)--and lotion/chapstick are among the necessities of life!

I didn't need either one in MS, but the hot, sticky weather made the shirt stick to my back (I had to go in and out all day to the field from an AC-freezing office trailer) and my hair frizzed like crazy.

I took at least 2 showers a day (and 3 on the weekends)...and I could never feel clean. I really couldn't take something like the Carribbean at all. I'd die...
I've never understood how people say the humidity makes them feel dirty. It can certainly make me damp and feel uncomfortable, at times, but not filthy.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is water, but it's also a ton of sugar and empty calories, which pretty much defeat the purpose of the benefits that water is supposed to give you.

I only measure the amount of pure water that I drink.

I've never understood how people say the humidity makes them feel dirty. It can certainly make me damp and feel uncomfortable, at times, but not filthy.
Must be the constant sweating/moisture. By lunchtime, I wanted to take another shower, but being at work....nope. My hair felt all gummy and frizzy (never mind that it had been shampooed the night before), my face felt all dirty and icky...and the sweat running down between my shoulder blades under my shirt....all yuck factors. I couldn't wait to leave the office, get home and get clean again.

I would bet that humid air holds pollutants better than dry air does--it always seemed that way to me.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:25 PM

875 posts, read 1,653,689 times
Quote:
Must be the constant sweating/moisture. By lunchtime, I wanted to take another shower, but being at work....nope. My hair felt all gummy and frizzy (never mind that it had been shampooed the night before), my face felt all dirty and icky...and the sweat running down between my shoulder blades under my shirt....all yuck factors. I couldn't wait to leave the office, get home and get clean again.

I would bet that humid air holds pollutants better than dry air does--it always seemed that way to me.
I agree, I take about 3 showers a day. The humidity is yucky and dirty, but I'm use to it though. Houston humidity is bad, but back home in Port Arthur its a little worse and i feel and smell worse..living here i do notice the difference. West Texas is too dry for me, I stay loaded with lotion when I visit but it is a little more comfortable.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
I agree, I take about 3 showers a day. The humidity is yucky and dirty, but I'm use to it though. Houston humidity is bad, but back home in Port Arthur its a little worse and i feel and smell worse..living here i do notice the difference. West Texas is too dry for me, I stay loaded with lotion when I visit but it is a little more comfortable.
I prefer to deal with lotion, chapstick, saline spray, drinking extra water, etc. Since I've done it most of my life, it's pretty much par for the course.

Humidity really is good for your skin, though. When I was in Dallas/Houston/Austin, I really didn't need any moisturizer, and not much chapstick, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas