Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 PM

227 posts, read 437,900 times

Advertisements

It is true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 08:20 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,955 times
No.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Frost bank has a private banking group that handles US homes/ credit card bills / expenses for wealth Mexicans with homes in Houston, San Antonio etc. The Medical Center and Galleria attrack wealth Mexicans, I cant compare to CA however.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Wealthy ones go wherever they want.

Poor ones go wherever there is work. Lately that has been more Texas than California.

Also understand that Mexico is a big country with a long border. Mexicans coming from the eastern half of the country are going to be more likely to cross in Texas. Mexicans coming from the western half of the country are more likely to cross in California and Arizona.

That said, I sure see a lot of Mexican license plates on nice SUVs parked in front of expensive condo buildings in South Padre. So I would conclude that a lot of wealthy Mexicans probably vacation in Texas.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:51 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times
It's generally not true, and where does this idea come from anyway? Let's turn the question around.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:01 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
It isnt.

There are many Mexicans both rich and poor in California and Texas. Not really one more than the other.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:57 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,241 times
When I first read the OP's post I thought it was odd, but based on economics, I'm inclined to think that perhaps Mexicans in TX have better paying jobs since TX's economy is, for the most part, in much better shape than CA's (so maybe there's some truth to the original post after all).

But as someone else already said, is there proof that is even the case, that Mexicans in TX are financially better off than Mexicans in CA?

Old 05-31-2012, 07:45 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Geographically lately with violent places like Juarez, Nuevo Laredo, Monterrey, Reynosa, and Matamoros, it would make sense that they would retreat to TX. Since Nuevo Leon is the overall richest state in Mexico (i.e. San Pedro, Monterrey), and the cartels desparate for $$$, it would only make sense that they would come here, simply because it's closer and opportunity here in SA as opposed to CA. There are still plenty of poor Mexicans coming to all the border states in droves, though.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:06 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,099 times
I'm pretty sure the poor still come to Texas but I know more about the wealthy right now. My neighborhood is one of the top destinations for wealthy Mexican Nationals. Well technically they live over in the high dollar gated Sonterra neighborhoods but Stone Oak in general. I can tell you they like to live among their own so once an area catches on a lot head there. I'm not that familiar with CA other then a few visits but I think the overall atmosphere in TX and especially San Antonio appeals. There is already such a strong Hispanic culture here and there have been wealthy Mexicans here from the beginning so I think perhaps Texas and especially SA doesn't equate being Mexican with being poor. I'm not saying CA does either but boy did we see it in NC!

Besides the wealthy already did all their Holy Week shopping at North Star Mall in SA before the violence escalated so it feels more like home

Old 06-01-2012, 02:55 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
That is not true at all. We might attract more of the wealthy Mexican immigrants, but we also attract plenty of the poor. Texas having a better economy would only attract more of the poor because they come here looking for work. In fact, the nation currently has negative net illegal immigration because there are no jobs. If anything, illegal immigrants are probably leaving California in droves. No, the illegal ones are not that much financially better off in Texas because they are stuck in low-paying jobs. Several of the poorest counties in the nation are close to the Texas-Mexico border. The poverty down there is almost third world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas