Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 11:38 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Its known that we have a better trasportation system but Houstonians refuse to swallow that so they bring up bus fleet counts to feel better about it.

If you have to result to bragging about Tall trees and dirt then thats a sign of defeat.Its like reaching for something to break your fall.
Having to resort to something implies that I've had no other valid arguments in the past and that Houston has nothing else to be proud of. That certainly isn't the case.

I've always given Dallas props where they are due, but Houston can more than hold its own in many areas. Trees are just one of many things I feel Houston outdoes Dallas.

What's known is that DART has more miles of light rail. Houston can always catch up to Dallas in that area and others, but Dallas will never be as green as Houston.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:20 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
We invented the integrated circuit, making modern computers possible. They can have the trees.
Houston invented the world's first artificial heart & silicone breast implant. Dallas can thank Houston for the later.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:28 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I've never seen a group of people argue over the amount of trees in a certain area. Do you guys have anything else to argue about? I've never heard anyone in DFW complain about the tree coverage or trees itself. I guess people just don't care. If I tried to make a conversation about trees with my friends they would look at me crazy. I'm sure that's how a vast majority of the people feel in DFW.
Trees are actually one of, if not THE most important thing a city can have.

They filter the air we breath making air pollution clean again.

Cities like Los Angeles with very few real trees left are trying to plant more of them. Dallas should do the same thing. Houston has planted thousands upon thousands of trees along its freeways over the past 6-7 years.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:08 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Having to resort to something implies that I've had no other valid arguments in the past and that Houston has nothing else to be proud of. That certainly isn't the case.

I've always given Dallas props where they are due, but Houston can more than hold its own in many areas. Trees are just one of many things I feel Houston outdoes Dallas.

What's known is that DART has more miles of light rail. Houston can always catch up to Dallas in that area and others, but Dallas will never be as green as Houston.
...ok...you got u one.

no...Remember houstonians listed going all the way out to the suburbs was bacwards and that houston only needs to keep its rail lines within the 610 loop.To catch up with dallas you would definately be laying track all the way out to the suburbs;which means Metro would then be building a system exactly like Dallas...Soooo with that being said.Houstonians really want a system like ours but since they dont have it they make believe that their system is perfect for Houston when we all know it sucks.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:38 AM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
So you say, but it seems to me that the only reason you all are writing off the discussion of trees as irrelevant is because it's something that Houston is the clear winner in, and you would rather not dwell on it. Dallaz was the first one claiming it wasn't important, yet he sure did take the time to find examples of plenty of trees in DFW.

Dallasites do plenty of boasting about their city, so why can't Houstonians do the same when it comes to our trees or even bragging about how we have better dirt than y'all?
I was just trying to prove that Dallas isn't barren like most people think. Deep down inside I really didn't give a fudge!

Old 06-30-2012, 10:05 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I was just trying to prove that Dallas isn't barren like most people think. Deep down inside I really didn't give a fudge!
Even if Dallas isn't as forested as the Houston area, I think the prairie areas with wildflowers, mesquite and live oaks scattered throughout have their own beauty. People keep bringing up Las Colinas, I love the rolling terrain around there. It's a very nice area of Dallas.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:02 PM

392 posts, read 633,716 times
Has anyone ever made a census of the number of trees in Dallas vs Houston?

The winner of this contest could then advertise in newspapers and magazines... Move to Xxxxx! Cause we have more trees than the other guy.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:15 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Even if Dallas isn't as forested as the Houston area, I think the prairie areas with wildflowers, mesquite and live oaks scattered throughout have their own beauty. People keep bringing up Las Colinas, I love the rolling terrain around there. It's a very nice area of Dallas.
I agree. I don't care for mesquite trees, but the prairie has its own beauty.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:12 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,515 times
People in Houston have greater access to mass transit if they have to use it and our LRT has higher ridership per mile. Moreover, the park and ride system is better. Yes, Houston has better mass transit than Dallas. Not much to argue about.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:53 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
People in Houston have greater access to mass transit if they have to use it and our LRT has higher ridership per mile. Moreover, the park and ride system is better. Yes, Houston has better mass transit than Dallas. Not much to argue about.
But Dallas has more miles of rail! That's means it has better overall public transportation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas