Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2012, 09:22 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
It may be just my opinion, but I see Dallas as erecting shorter buildings, but more of them. Dallas is not interested in the height of the building, as long as it is high enough to stand out.
Its not up to "Dallas", its up to the developers who build them & demand for office space or residential. Many times the developers are Houston based companies & vice versa.

DT Dallas' commercial office vacancy rate is a whole lot higher than DT Houston's hence the reason Houston has gotten so many towers in the past decade.

Dallas' market is in it's Uptown.

Houston's Uptown market is also very strong.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:25 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
It may be just my opinion, but I see Dallas as erecting shorter buildings, but more of them. Dallas is not interested in the height of the building, as long as it is high enough to stand out.
Yes...flight path restrictions...Thats why all the buildings in Uptown basically all look the same height..uptown is closer to the airport. Our Tallest building had to be cut down in height because of FAA regulations so I doubt and really don't care if we ever get a building taller than BoA at 72 stories.

Houstonians are always quick to say Dallas is catching up...Catching up to what??? Our goal is not to build a replica of Houston up here..We have our own agenda...Who cares how many more brown, dull, bland buildings Houston has over Dallas...Dallas is moving at a good pace and is about to pick up speed a little.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:28 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
He wasnt posing a question...He was simply telling his experience on entering Dallas....He did the comparison when he drove in...it wasnt for us to compare.......But Im done......no need to go back and forth.
So, in other words, MobileDave had a point. You have a problem with any post unless they're agreeing with what the OP had to say?

The title of the thread is: Dallas Skyline(WOW)Yes another Dallas to Houston comparison thread!

I'm not sure if you're aware of the point of message boards, but threads are started to incite discussion on the issue presented in the OP, whether they are opposing opinions or not.

Now if you want to go around calling everyone haters and whining about how "Houstonians always do this" and "Dallasites never do that", then that's on you. I have no dog in that fight. I just thought I'd correct your clear misconception about how things work here.

This is the City Data forum, and not everybodyagreeswithdallasboi.com

Old 06-09-2012, 09:31 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Its not up to "Dallas", its up to the developers who build them & demand for office space or residential.

DT Dallas' commercial office vacancy rate is a whole lot higher than DT Houston's hence the reason Houston has gotten so many towers in the past decade.

Dallas' market is in it's Uptown.

Houston's Uptown market is also very strong.
Who would want old when you can build new? I'm sure that's why the vacancy rate is so high in Downtown. I'm sure that's the reason a lot of the buildings were converted.

For Example: Elm Place was built in 1965. It's filled with asbestos and it was never renovated. That's probably the reason it closed. The building that once held the title as the tallest building west of the Mississippi River is sitting there waiting for it's conversion to residential.

I've never heard of a company who would rather stay in a older building, instead of moving to a new one. (given the opportunity)

Old 06-09-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
So, in other words, MobileDave had a point. You have a problem with any post unless they're agreeing with what the OP had to say?

The title of the thread is: Dallas Skyline(WOW)Yes another Dallas to Houston comparison thread!

I'm not sure if you're aware of the point of message boards, but threads are started to incite discussion on the issue presented in the OP, whether they are opposing opinions or not.

Now if you want to go around calling everyone haters and whining about how "Houstonians always do this" and "Dallasites never do that", then that's on you. I have no dog in that fight. I just thought I'd correct your clear misconception about how things work here.

Niarobi.....I stand by everything I said about houstonians...it always rub you the wrong way because the truth hurts...This was not a smackdown thread.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Niarobi.....I stand by everything I said about houstonians...it always rub you the wrong way because the truth hurts...This was not a smackdown thread.
I haven't been smacking down on anything. Just stating my opinions and the facts about you. The issue is that you're not okay with any opinions or views that oppose yours. Just admit it. You're doing the EXACT same thing that you accuse others of.

Keep in mind that, aside from a silly joke, I haven't said a single thing against Dallas or its skyline in this thread. Nor have I said anything that countered the OP's opinion, and yet you're attacking me simply because I'm from Houston. That says a lot about your character; not mine.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:46 PM

563 posts, read 910,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

I'm glad somebody else saw this.

The OP's first sentence:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I just want to say maybe MAYBE we discuss this in a mature manner.
The opinion the OP gave to start the discussion which I disagreed with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
It's as if Dallas knows the importance of image and are pushing the envelope of architecture in Texas whereas Houston is just building buildings w/ no artistic soul.
dallisboi, your first response was to insult Houstonians even after the OP's first sentence above:

Quote:
This is so refreshing to hear beacause its truly what you feel. Most Houstonians bias is so thick that they normally just visit Dallas and ignore all the happenings and new developments as if they are not there so they can leave feeling the same way they came......its so silly. I really like houston and it could build 30 new skyscarapers 80 stories tall and it still wouldnt make dallas any less interesting. Houstonians feel like Dallas' progress is in result of Houstons shortcomings. So they Hate Dallas with a passion...no exceptions....so again this thread is quite refreshing coming from a Houstonian....kudos.
I enjoy having discussions on CD and I know sometimes they can get out of hand but that doesn't mean we can't move beyond it. And this goes for both sides of the aisle (or 45, lol).

Old 06-09-2012, 10:24 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Hey my fellow Houstonians...just stop wasting time on the childish rants and the brick wall mentalities.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
I'm glad somebody else saw this.

The OP's first sentence:

The opinion the OP gave to start the discussion which I disagreed with:

dallisboi, your first response was to insult Houstonians even after the OP's first sentence above:

I enjoy having discussions on CD and I know sometimes they can get out of hand but that doesn't mean we can't move beyond it. And this goes for both sides of the aisle (or 45, lol).
No I was was truly surprised and flattered that a Houstonian would start a thread giving Dallas props...and I just stated what I was used to houstonians doing....which was the sole reason i was surprised...again,it was refreshing and a rare occurance.....until the other Houstonians begin trying to rain on my parade....To be honest it does matter sometimes what Houstonians say or think about Dallas...but since its not a coincedence that Dallas gets no props from Houstonians....it has to be bias that prevents it. So when I hear a genuine compliment from a Houstonian it is indeed refreshing....now...I said it.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
No I was was truly surprised and flattered that a Houstonian would start a thread giving Dallas props...and I just stated what I was used to houstonians doing....which was the sole reason i was surprised...again,it was refreshing and a rare occurance.....until the other Houstonians begin trying to rain on my parade....To be honest it does matter sometimes what Houstonians say or think about Dallas...but since its not a coincedence that Dallas gets no props from Houstonians....it has to be bias that prevents it. So when I hear a genuine compliment from a Houstonian it is indeed refreshing....now...I said it.
There have been plenty of instances on this forum and others where I and even other Houstonians have complimented and even stood up for Dallas (usually against out-of-state posters). The problem is that you're only seeing what you want to see, and that's everybody in the world beating up on poor, little, innocent Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas