Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 05:25 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Rice vs. SMU

Hmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
'Nuff said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
A college is a college, and it's all in what the individual makes of it. With that said, Houston is clearly the superior city for higher education.
uuuhh....and Dallas is clearly the superior city for Grads...which IMO is more important!!!Dallas is No. 5 on list of top cities for college grads | Cheryl Hall Columns - Business News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Old 06-20-2012, 08:29 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Houston has a pretty good ranking to. Man this **** war has to end.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:36 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
It's almost done! YAY! (here's the video)

Dallas Deck Park Nearing Completion | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post

That's great! Dallas is in desperate need of decent parks!

Old 06-21-2012, 09:43 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post

Great!

This is going to be such a relief from the concrete jungle that is Downtown Dallas.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:58 AM

6 posts, read 6,489 times
Default Dallas wins

Houston residents, wake up and realize you are second to DFW.

Which city is better for young professionals and businesses? I'd say Dallas. Houston has a bunch of oil companies, but overall Dallas is much more diverse economically(from software/tech companies, finance and banking to logistics and transportation).

Which city is the best sports city? Dallas, hands down. Houston's sports scene is so lame, it's not even funny. The fact that you had a professional football team LEAVE your city in the state of TEXAS is unforgivable. Also, Dallas hosts two PGA tour events, multiple college bowl games, and has much better venues (Cowboys stadium dwarfs Reliant).

Which city has more recreational activities? I'd still say Dallas, despite Houston's proximity to the ocean. Let's be honest, any beach around Houston is terrible. I went to Galveston and couldn't even see my foot in less than 8 inches of water! I'd rather be on a clean lake in Dallas than in that oil swamp you call an ocean. Also, Dallas was ranked the number 1 golf city in the USA by Golf Digest.

Which city gets more attention from the national media? Dallas, hands down (Do you see any shows named 'Houston' on TV right now? Dallas also has more reality TV shows). Dallas is more of a champagne type town, while Houston is more of a beer type town. For that reason, Dallas is more interesting than the oil swamp.

Which city has better education? I'd go with Dallas over Houston. Rice is ranked higher than any university in DFW, but I'd take TCU and SMU over just Rice. Also, UT Dallas, UNT and UTA are all better schools than Coog HS.

The only thing Houston has over Dallas is that the buildings are taller. However, the Dallas skyline has personality and stands out. Houston's skyline is so generic I don't think many people outside of Texas would be able to identify it.

To be fair, Houston does have some areas where they dominate over Dallas. Like pollution, traffic, and poor air quality for example.

Last edited by jxe103020; 06-21-2012 at 10:27 AM..

Old 06-21-2012, 11:16 AM

391 posts, read 922,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxe103020 View Post

Which city is better for young professionals and businesses? I'd say Dallas. Houston has a bunch of oil companies, but overall Dallas is much more diverse economically(from software/tech companies, finance and banking to logistics and transportation).

Which city is the best sports city? Dallas, hands down. Houston's sports scene is so lame, it's not even funny. The fact that you had a professional football team LEAVE your city in the state of TEXAS is unforgivable. Also, Dallas hosts two PGA tour events, multiple college bowl games, and has much better venues (Cowboys stadium dwarfs Reliant).

Which city has more recreational activities? I'd still say Dallas, despite Houston's proximity to the ocean. Let's be honest, any beach around Houston is terrible. I went to Galveston and couldn't even see my foot in less than 8 inches of water! I'd rather be on a clean lake in Dallas than in that oil swamp you call an ocean. Also, Dallas was ranked the number 1 golf city in the USA by Golf Digest.

Which city gets more attention from the national media? Dallas, hands down (Do you see any shows named 'Houston' on TV right now? Dallas also has more reality TV shows). Dallas is more of a champagne type town, while Houston is more of a beer type town. For that reason, Dallas is more interesting than the oil swamp.

Which city has better education? I'd go with Dallas over Houston. Rice is ranked higher than any university in DFW, but I'd take TCU and SMU over just Rice. Also, UT Dallas, UNT and UTA are all better schools than Coog HS.

The only thing Houston has over Dallas is that the buildings are taller. However, the Dallas skyline has personality and stands out. Houston's skyline is so generic I don't think many people outside of Texas would be able to identify it.

To be fair, Houston does have some areas where they dominate over Dallas. Like pollution, traffic, and poor air quality for example.
Wow, allow me to bring the laughing to a dull roar and totally discredit your post.

First off... City best for young professionals... My answer isn't "I'd say..." Mine is... HOUSTON is because our economy in Houston is the most explosive in the nation and #1 choice in America for college graduates per Forbes!

Second... Sports... uh let's try HOUSTON buddy! Let's see how many of "Dallas'" teams actually play in Dallas... 2... Cowgirls, Rangers (isn't even Dallas' team, it's the state of Texas' team), FC Dallas all play WELL outside of the city. How far you might ask... in neighboring counties! ALL of Houston's sports teams play in downtown Houston except for the Texans which play 6 miles away from downtown, still in the central part of the city. The city of Dallas and Dallas County don't want to be financially responsible to keep their sports teams in their city... HOUSTON and HARRIS COUNTY make sure their sports teams are facilitated correctly and STAY in the city!

Third... Let's define what makes "Dallas". My definition of Dallas would be the 340 square miles that make up, Dallas, Texas... not the 7000 square miles that make up the DFW area. So when you want to ask who has better golf... try HOUSTON buddy! We have 165 golf courses IN OUR CITY! Not our metro area, in our city limits! Houston has all the fun things to do for recreation... we have so many parks in our city limits it equals 26% of the entire Dallas city limits! Thank you!

Fourth... Media attention makes Dallas better???? Media attention isn't going to make your economy better or make people move to your city!! Ok Dallas, I am embarrassed for you!!!

Fifth... better education... oh that's easy... HOUSTON!!! Houston by far has more degree granting institutions than Dallas. Houston's higher education students equals 30% of Dallas' entire city population!!! Uh thank ya!!

Sixth... Houston's skyline by far is taller, broader and MUCH more activity going on with it than Dallas. The only thing Dallas has done to their downtown as far as their skyline is concerned is add a bridge to no-wheres-ville so that the arch makes their downtown skyline look pretty.... yeah, nice stealing that idea from St. Louis! Houston certainly doesn't need a cosmetic make over to show we are awesome! Corporations continue to build skyscrapers in our downtown because the economy here is actually doing something! 5 Allen Center will soon add a little more awesomeness to our downtown skyline! Hmmm... when is the next time a skyscraper will be built in downtown Dallas???

Seventh... Houston's population alone is almost 1 million larger than the city of Dallas, so just judging from the numbers alone, I'd say more people prefer Houston over Dallas!!!

Yeah more people comes more traffic, pollution... HOWEVER, take a look at the EPA's website and you will be devastated to find Houston's air quality is nearly identical to Dallas'!!

And guess what.... I LOVE HOUSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:56 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxe103020 View Post

Houston Dynamo beat Frisco's FC Dallas in the Texas Derby the other day.

Dallas sports are so lame none of its teams actually play in the city except of the Mavs & Stars.

Houston has 3 professional sports arenas in its downtown alone & 2 more less than 7 miles away.

Dallas has 1 professional sports arena in the entire city! LOL

Old 06-21-2012, 12:12 PM

Mikey - Notice at the top where I said second to DFW. By your logic, New York doesn't have a football team. Also, using your incorrect logic, what makes a sports team is a downtown location. All this time I thought it was trivial things like winning championships, establishing traditions, etc. In fact, the Houston Texans are clearly the better franchise despite zero playoff success and a smaller, lesser stadium.

In regards to the economy, no doubt both cities are booming compared to the national average. I prefer Dallas because of the diversity of businesses headquartered here. I work in finance, and can also tell you there are 10x as many hedge funds and venture capital/investment banking jobs in Dallas. Dallas also has the presence of oil/energy companies (Exxon Mobil HQ is here. This is half a mile outside of Dallas city limits so this doesn't count, right?).

In regards to recreation, I'm sure Houston has many great golf courses. Again, DFW was rated #1 by Golf Digest and Houston barely cracked the top 10. Dallas also seems to have a lot more pro golfers reside in the area when compared to Houston. I like how you didn't defend your coastline though. I'd rather swim in shark infested waters with raw steaks tied to my body than swim in that nasty oil swamp around Houston.

DFW also is growing a faster rate, and has a larger population than the Houston metro area. By your logic, this makes the metroplex the better place to live. Major universities favors DFW, I'm not sure how anyone can argue this (even for you Houston homers).

I also like the weather in Dallas. Dallas is a bit hotter in the summer, but Houston's humidity makes their summers far worse in my opinion. Dallas also has an actual change in seasons, which I like.

In all seriousness though, there are far more similarities between DFW and Houston than differences. Most residents of Houston suffer from a severe inferiority complex, so they will take someone's random post on the internet and become super offended (and realize all of these posts are subjective anyways). I actually like Houston as a city. I just think the Dallas area has more to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
Wow, allow me to bring the laughing to a dull roar and totally discredit your post.

First off... City best for young professionals... My answer isn't "I'd say..." Mine is... HOUSTON is because our economy in Houston is the most explosive in the nation and #1 choice in America for college graduates per Forbes!

Second... Sports... uh let's try HOUSTON buddy! Let's see how many of "Dallas'" teams actually play in Dallas... 2... Cowgirls, Rangers (isn't even Dallas' team, it's the state of Texas' team), FC Dallas all play WELL outside of the city. How far you might ask... in neighboring counties! ALL of Houston's sports teams play in downtown Houston except for the Texans which play 6 miles away from downtown, still in the central part of the city. The city of Dallas and Dallas County don't want to be financially responsible to keep their sports teams in their city... HOUSTON and HARRIS COUNTY make sure their sports teams are facilitated correctly and STAY in the city!

Third... Let's define what makes "Dallas". My definition of Dallas would be the 340 square miles that make up, Dallas, Texas... not the 7000 square miles that make up the DFW area. So when you want to ask who has better golf... try HOUSTON buddy! We have 165 golf courses IN OUR CITY! Not our metro area, in our city limits! Houston has all the fun things to do for recreation... we have so many parks in our city limits it equals 26% of the entire Dallas city limits! Thank you!

Fourth... Media attention makes Dallas better???? Media attention isn't going to make your economy better or make people move to your city!! Ok Dallas, I am embarrassed for you!!!

Fifth... better education... oh that's easy... HOUSTON!!! Houston by far has more degree granting institutions than Dallas. Houston's higher education students equals 30% of Dallas' entire city population!!! Uh thank ya!!

Sixth... Houston's skyline by far is taller, broader and MUCH more activity going on with it than Dallas. The only thing Dallas has done to their downtown as far as their skyline is concerned is add a bridge to no-wheres-ville so that the arch makes their downtown skyline look pretty.... yeah, nice stealing that idea from St. Louis! Houston certainly doesn't need a cosmetic make over to show we are awesome! Corporations continue to build skyscrapers in our downtown because the economy here is actually doing something! 5 Allen Center will soon add a little more awesomeness to our downtown skyline! Hmmm... when is the next time a skyscraper will be built in downtown Dallas???

Seventh... Houston's population alone is almost 1 million larger than the city of Dallas, so just judging from the numbers alone, I'd say more people prefer Houston over Dallas!!!

Yeah more people comes more traffic, pollution... HOWEVER, take a look at the EPA's website and you will be devastated to find Houston's air quality is nearly identical to Dallas'!!

And guess what.... I LOVE HOUSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston Dynamo beat Frisco's FC Dallas in the Texas Derby the other day.

Dallas sports are so lame none of its teams actually play in the city except of the Mavs & Stars.

Houston has 3 professional sports arenas in its downtown alone & 2 more less than 7 miles away.

Dallas has 1 professional sports arena in the entire city! LOL

Metro Matt - okay I'll let Houston have one over the Big D. I admit, you have a better soccer team, LOL! Who cares? Dallas was ranked as the nation's number one sports city last year by Sporing News. If only they had of weighted soccer heavier, Houston might have had a chance. Ouch! Houston came in at #24: Best Sports Cities: The list from 1 to 271 - Sporting News

You Houston guys should tell the editors at Sporting News to start putting emphasis on where the stadiums are located at, and not the actual results. Perhaps then you can rank ahead of powerhouses like Raleigh, Nashville and Tampa Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas